comp wont turn on

adamthepolak

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
i tried turning on my comp and its wouldnt turn on, not even to a black screen or anything just didnt even boot. so i looked at the motherboard and the light on it was on indicating that theres power to it. i tried turning it on a few more times but nothing. so just incase it maybe the power supply i went out and bought a new one, installed it and tried agian and nothing, still wont turn on. anybody know why this might be happening?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ok. Give us some more info...

What kind of hardware are you using? (What Graphics, motherboard, CPU, etc.)
Did anything happen to the PC, as far as you know?
Do the fans come on when you press the power button?
Does anything happen when you press the power button?

Best of Luck

adamthepolak

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
the computer specs are

-P4 1.6ghz (was overclocked to 2.2ghz)
-asus p4s533 motherboard
-nvidia 5600
-250 GB and 80 GB harddrives
-creative sound card

-bought a new power supply 350 watts

im thinking it might be the button because the light on the mother board is on. how would i fix the button? should i just buy a new one and if i can where can i buy it?

none of the fans turn on at all and the last thing i did was move the computer out of my room.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ok. This is what I would try to see if the power switch is bad. BE VERY CAREFUL AS YOU TRY THIS!!! Take off the side panel on the case. Look at the motherboard. Find the connector that connects to the power switch; it should be in the lower right corner of the motherboard. The connector should be labeled as "Power" or something like that. CAREFULLY remove the connector from the motherboard. It should pull right off. OK. Now the pins of the motherboard should be exposed. Plug the monitor, keyboard, and power connectors into the computer. Take an insulated screwdriver and carefully touch the metal of the screwdriver between the two metal pins on the motherboard where the power switch connector came from. The computer should power on!

If the computer powered on, the power switch is the culprit. If the computer still refuses to power on, the problem is much more serious, and is likely your motherboard....

Best of Luck

adamthepolak

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
thanks for the help guys, i checked and ya its the mobo so im going out and buying a new one, upside is that im getting a good deal on it and comes with processer thats better then the one i have now and it give me a mobo that can be upgraded to dual core too