encrypting a directpry

Hello!
I want to encrypt a driector with some programms. if i want to sue them,
i'll decrypt it for that time.

Are there any tips for software which can handel that and is secure?

regards, enno
--
http://www.verbrennung.org

With Windows XP Pro, and the Windows Server version (post NT 4)
EFS encryption is built-in for use on any NTFS formatted storage.
Directories are not actually encrypted, but may be marked so that
any file placed within is encrypted. An EFS encrypted file may be
accessed by the account that encrypted, without really even noticing
that there was a decryption, The file will not be accessible by any
other account - except in XP/W2k3 where one may, on a file by file
basis, allow more than on user account.
If EFS is the right solution for you, then search microsoft.com for
EFS and do some reading, especially on recovery, before you do
start using EFS as the only storage of your essential documents.
This research should lead you to having an export of your EFS
cert/key to external media - if you do not have that you are not
ready for EFS prime-time.
--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Enno Lenze" <2004-12@spam.verbrennung.org> wrote in message
> Hello!
> I want to encrypt a driector with some programms. if i want to sue them,
> i'll decrypt it for that time.
>
> Are there any tips for software which can handel that and is secure?
>
> regards, enno
> --
> http://www.verbrennung.org

This whitepaper may be of additional help:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx

--
David B. Cross [MS]

Top Whitepapers:

Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx
Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx
Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx

> With Windows XP Pro, and the Windows Server version (post NT 4)
> EFS encryption is built-in for use on any NTFS formatted storage.
> Directories are not actually encrypted, but may be marked so that
> any file placed within is encrypted. An EFS encrypted file may be
> accessed by the account that encrypted, without really even noticing
> that there was a decryption, The file will not be accessible by any
> other account - except in XP/W2k3 where one may, on a file by file
> basis, allow more than on user account.
> If EFS is the right solution for you, then search microsoft.com for
> EFS and do some reading, especially on recovery, before you do
> start using EFS as the only storage of your essential documents.
> This research should lead you to having an export of your EFS
> cert/key to external media - if you do not have that you are not
> ready for EFS prime-time.
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Enno Lenze" <2004-12@spam.verbrennung.org> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>> I want to encrypt a driector with some programms. if i want to sue them,
>> i'll decrypt it for that time.
>>
>> Are there any tips for software which can handel that and is secure?
>>
>> regards, enno
>> --
>> http://www.verbrennung.org

thanks for that

recovery is not necessary. i want to use some programs i have at home,
if i'm on the road. so if the ssytem crashes, i have a backup. But the
data i'm handleing is privat, thats why i want to have it ancrypted
(have backup of all data at home es well).
The efs sounds to be really easy to use, i'll have a look on it.

regards, enno

--
http://www.verbrennung.org