Sign in with
Your question

Want a laugh at how badly the UK buyers can get ripped off?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2007 10:46:33 PM

Look at this:

http://www.evesham.com/products/configurator/default.as...

Never mind the other costs - they are charging more for a X1900 (not even a 1950) than a 8800 GTX.

Ouch. And Evesham are normally ok...
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 10:57:14 PM

Yeah but the thing is they're also charging more for that X1900XTX than the X1950XTX, so obviously they aren't updating them, they likely stay at the launch price the whole time. Sounds like some pretty sticky prices they have (many e-tailer still sell... well list, I hope they don't sell, GF6800s and X800/850s in the $500US price range).
February 17, 2007 12:07:52 AM

which is why i'd advise people to start building their own "powerful" systems.

can save you a lot of money, plus it just feels sooo much better when you make your own pc and it works! :lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2007 3:10:27 AM

Quote:
which is why i'd advise people to start building their own "powerful" systems.

can save you a lot of money, plus it just feels sooo much better when you make your own pc and it works! :lol:  :lol: 

Not to mention when needing tech support, you deal with someone who speaks your same language. :tongue:
February 17, 2007 9:18:47 AM

Quote:

Not to mention when needing tech support, you deal with someone who speaks your same language. :tongue:

yeah.....myself :lol:  :lol: 

and the rest of this forum :wink: .....well most of it any way :roll: :roll:
February 17, 2007 10:22:45 AM

I agree, those prices from Evesham are pretty wrong for the graphics cards but, as said already, they're probably prices they're sticking with from launch date until they run out of stock or decide to no longer etail them.

Evesham always used to be a pretty sound company, although I don't have quite the same opinion of them now that they have high-street stores, they're going the way of PC World/Currys (or across the pond Best Buy/Future Shop/whatever) by offering last year's technology at thrice the price as you should pay for it.

www.overclockers.co.uk make pre-built systems that aren't overpriced, contain good components (IMO) for the price. What I like most about overclockers' systems is that, unlike Dell, HP, Packard Bell, Toshiba and all of the other pre-built suppliers, they don't skimp on PSUs. It feels like almost every time I look on the forums there's someone with a Dell who has blown up their PSU and also perhaps mobo too because they tried to put in a relatively low-power card but the PSU supplied (and it's usually Dell) is just so lame that it dies.

I think Dell PCs are probably fine for noobs who just want to buy a PC, have Windows, Norton and maybe Office pre-installed and never upgrade the PC themselves. If they want to upgrade it then they can do it through Dell who will probably upgrade that piece of crapola PSU along with the graphics card, not tell the end-user about this but factor the cost of another PSU into the cost of the GPU upgrade...right?

Only a complete turn-around in the way that these major PC manufacturers work would make me change my mind about them. I agree that building a PC yourself is the right thing to do. As with all things it is of course best to read around properly first, going on forums, reading the guides on assembly (such as the recent THG one) and generally boning up before spending and putting together. Conversely there are people out there who are rather technophobic. I personally think it's rather cowardly and definitely the lazy option, but then again I would never try and fix my car's engine if it broke, rather I'd get a mechanic, so I see the hypocrite in me. Some people will buy a Dell and never have a problem. Those same people might have tried to build a PC, messed it up and then come to the forums for help.

I'm totally off-topic here. What I was trying to say is that Evesham used to be ok and are certainly better than most other high-street PC retailers. There are other places in the UK where you can get a pre-built system that is worth the money spent and you won't get ripped-off for crappy components. There are people who find pre-built systems to be the way to go. Horses for courses.
February 17, 2007 10:40:20 AM

:)  Ever seen how bad prices are in the United States of Albania? Mostly the only way of getting decent hardware at reasonable prices is by receiving it from a friend or relative returning home from abroad, and that would cost still more than what that web page mentioned, in all of the line... and why does that happen, because those who bring hardware in Albania enforce the line of thought: why do you need this and that, this can do your job greatly... and people still buying from them (an union of traders versus an uninformed public :(  like shooting a 486 CPU from 1 metter, while it is trying to escape moving it's pins)
February 17, 2007 11:26:32 AM

hahaha the best electronics store in the world is Frys, and the best e-tailer is Newegg.com!! Too bad for those who live outside of the US and will never see either one...
February 17, 2007 12:46:30 PM

Thankfully though those of us outside the USA don't have to live there which is more than enough to make up for not having Fry's or Newegg ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

:lol: 
February 17, 2007 1:39:03 PM

:lol: 
February 17, 2007 6:38:03 PM

you dont know what ur missing out on... but lets not get political.
February 17, 2007 6:40:48 PM

We have plenty of quality e-tailers in Europe thanks, i doubt we give a fuck about newegg or Fry's either.

And we still don't have to live in the US.
February 17, 2007 7:18:06 PM

dude, i never said you did, theres no reason to pout over nothing. live wherever you want to.

I bet you do, but you just dont know electronics stores till you visit frys. Imagine a several football fields of pure electronics, towering several meters into the air. Sections dedicated solely to power supplies and case modding... walls of video cards.. Its heaven i tell you.
February 22, 2007 9:51:08 AM

It'd be heaven if it were free.

Moving on...

Lots of places have good etailers. Lots of places have bad etailers. We should count ourselves fortunate (both in the US and the UK, as well as some other places not too far off the map) to have more of the former than the latter.

Also, that's highway robbery.
February 22, 2007 10:36:45 AM

Meh, at the end of november I paid £469.99 for my 8800GTX, that was the lowest price availible in the UK at the time and trust me I looked everywhere.

Thats $916.

Here in the UK we DO pay more, and then we have 17.5% VAT (like sales tax but more) added on too, meaning we often pay 50% more than you do in the US.
February 22, 2007 11:45:40 AM

It is true that a computer component costing eg. $300 in the states will most likely cost ~£300 here. I suppose our equivalent to newegg is dabs.

As for the buy-your-pc-in-bits-and-put-it-all-together-yourself suggestions, well you don't expect to have to buy a car in bits and put it together yourself all right before you can use it. Personally I prefer to buy my pc's to-go. Fortunately I live just a few miles from a big well known pc etailer manufacturer, so I just buy a whole pc from them once every few years and if anything goes wrong with it, take it back to them and get them to fix it and replace any parts, all free of charge under the warranty (although so far I have only had to do this once in the last 6 years).
February 22, 2007 11:47:36 AM

Quote:
Look at this:

http://www.evesham.com/products/configurator/default.as...

Never mind the other costs - they are charging more for a X1900 (not even a 1950) than a 8800 GTX.

Ouch. And Evesham are normally ok...

Yeah well a pack of Marlboros is $11....

They are currently in the process of banning smoking in this country altogether.
February 22, 2007 12:27:27 PM

Why don't you buy it in America on ebay or something and have it international shipped? Does the government allow that?... Cause you could save a bundle, even with the rapage international shipping. Anything's better than 900$ Hell, you could FLY to America for that much.
-cm
February 22, 2007 12:33:33 PM

They should do that here in the states. Actually public smoking has undergone a complete ban in some states, thankfully I live in one of them.
February 22, 2007 11:12:59 PM

Quote:
Why don't you buy it in America on ebay or something and have it international shipped? Does the government allow that?... Cause you could save a bundle, even with the rapage international shipping. Anything's better than 900$ Hell, you could FLY to America for that much.
-cm

Firstly, I dont trust eBay at all, I wouldnt use it for ANYTHING electronic.

I've looked at ordering things from the US before, but most online shops wont ship internationally, those that do charge a fortune for shipping, I'd have to pay Import Duty and VAT on it anyway, and if I had a problem with it I'd have to ship the thing back.

A sad state of affairs :( 

Current newegg.com 8800GTX price: $549.99

Current dabs.com 8800GTX price: £349.99, or $684.47
February 22, 2007 11:15:25 PM

Quote:
-cm

Firstly, I dont trust eBay at all, I wouldnt use it for ANYTHING electronic.

I've looked at ordering things from the US before, but most online shops wont ship internationally, those that do charge a fortune for shipping, I'd have to pay Import Duty and VAT on it anyway, and if I had a problem with it I'd have to ship the thing back.

A sad state of affairs :( 

Current newegg.com 8800GTX price: $549.99

Current dabs.com 8800GTX price: £349.99, or $684.47

Here in chile everything is 1000CLP do the dollar, and exchange is at 500CLP to the dollar, so its safe to say that the 8800GTX costs 1100 bucks. So really, youre not all that bad off.
February 22, 2007 11:19:23 PM

To be fair that price is alot closer to the US price than it was on the release of the 8800GTX. I suppose its my fault for trying to be an early adopter :) 
February 22, 2007 11:34:01 PM

yeah, i usually go with tried and proven technologies (AKA Cheap and Old crap).
!