Cannot login to Win2000, but username/pass weren't changed..

Hello! I may have broken my Windows 2000 access, it seems. I wanted to set up
an automatic logon so that I could dispense with entering my
username/password everytime I turned the machine on (IBM Thinkpad T23).
Somewhere on the Internet I found a DITY site saying that I could do this by
changing my Network Identification settings from Domain to Workgroup, which I
did. Now Windows won't recognize my password and says that my username and
domain might be incorrect. But I can't change my domain without logging in...
so, does anyone know a way out of this catch-22 I've gotten myself into? Is
there some way I'm suppposed to combine my username and domain name when
logging in as a Workgroup? I know for certain I didn't change my password,
but nonetheless I can't login. I'd really like to avoid taking my laptop to
a repair shop and having it formatted and reloaded, as there are important
files on there that I don't want to lose.

Thanks,
Andreas
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot login win2000 username pass weren changed

    Once a machine is disjoined from a domain, domain accounts
    can no longer be used to log into it. Only accounts defined on
    the machine itself are then available.
    If you are on the network local to the domain, you might have
    permissions to rejoin it (if you were on that network when you
    disjoined it). Otherwise, you need those that manage the domain
    to resolve this for you.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "javelin98" <javelin98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello! I may have broken my Windows 2000 access, it seems. I wanted to set
    up
    > an automatic logon so that I could dispense with entering my
    > username/password everytime I turned the machine on (IBM Thinkpad T23).
    > Somewhere on the Internet I found a DITY site saying that I could do this
    by
    > changing my Network Identification settings from Domain to Workgroup,
    which I
    > did. Now Windows won't recognize my password and says that my username and
    > domain might be incorrect. But I can't change my domain without logging
    in...
    > so, does anyone know a way out of this catch-22 I've gotten myself into?
    Is
    > there some way I'm suppposed to combine my username and domain name when
    > logging in as a Workgroup? I know for certain I didn't change my
    password,
    > but nonetheless I can't login. I'd really like to avoid taking my laptop
    > a repair shop and having it formatted and reloaded, as there are important
    > files on there that I don't want to lose.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andreas

    Ouch. Problem is that I bought this laptop from my university's surplus
    property office, so I can't connect to a network in any way at all and the IT
    guys have washed their hands of it. I've just always had to login before
    using it and I was trying to find a way to skip that step when I started this
    trouble. Is there no way to fix this?

    Thanks,
    Andreas

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > Once a machine is disjoined from a domain, domain accounts
    > can no longer be used to log into it. Only accounts defined on
    > the machine itself are then available.
    > If you are on the network local to the domain, you might have
    > permissions to rejoin it (if you were on that network when you
    > disjoined it). Otherwise, you need those that manage the domain
    > to resolve this for you.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "javelin98" <javelin98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello! I may have broken my Windows 2000 access, it seems. I wanted to set
    > up
    > > an automatic logon so that I could dispense with entering my
    > > username/password everytime I turned the machine on (IBM Thinkpad T23).
    > > Somewhere on the Internet I found a DITY site saying that I could do this
    > by
    > > changing my Network Identification settings from Domain to Workgroup,
    > which I
    > > did. Now Windows won't recognize my password and says that my username and
    > > domain might be incorrect. But I can't change my domain without logging
    > in...
    > > so, does anyone know a way out of this catch-22 I've gotten myself into?
    > Is
    > > there some way I'm suppposed to combine my username and domain name when
    > > logging in as a Workgroup? I know for certain I didn't change my
    > password,
    > > but nonetheless I can't login. I'd really like to avoid taking my laptop
    > > a repair shop and having it formatted and reloaded, as there are important
    > > files on there that I don't want to lose.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Andreas

    So you evidently never added a local admin account (that
    would survive the disjoining) and did not set the password
    of any existing local admin account. In that event, other than
    what help the first paragraph might give you, you will have
    to crack into the machine. See info at
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#password

    Personally, I would never take over a machine with unknown
    history except by starting with a fresh installation. That is the
    only way to hope to know that the machine is actually clean of
    hidden pests - some of which can be hazardous to your privacy
    and financial, etc. wellbeing.

    If you bought the machine with Windows installed, I believe
    they were required to surrender the media and license key
    at that time in the transfer. I could be wrong, and am always
    a little fuzzy about the legal workings, so your mileage may
    vary. IOW as I understand things they should have sold it
    without an OS installed if they were not transferring a licence
    for the OS, which would have included a way to reinstall.

    So, your best recourse is to obtain access, by tweaking a
    password if necessary, logging in to get what you may want
    off of there, and then reformatting all disk space and laying
    down your new OS home.

    --
    > Ouch. Problem is that I bought this laptop from my university's surplus
    > property office, so I can't connect to a network in any way at all and the
    IT
    > guys have washed their hands of it. I've just always had to login before
    > using it and I was trying to find a way to skip that step when I started
    this
    > trouble. Is there no way to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andreas
    >
    > "Roger Abell" wrote:
    >
    > > Once a machine is disjoined from a domain, domain accounts
    > > can no longer be used to log into it. Only accounts defined on
    > > the machine itself are then available.
    > > If you are on the network local to the domain, you might have
    > > permissions to rejoin it (if you were on that network when you
    > > disjoined it). Otherwise, you need those that manage the domain
    > > to resolve this for you.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger Abell
    > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > > "javelin98" <javelin98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello! I may have broken my Windows 2000 access, it seems. I wanted to
    set
    > > up
    > > > an automatic logon so that I could dispense with entering my
    > > > username/password everytime I turned the machine on (IBM Thinkpad
    T23).
    > > > Somewhere on the Internet I found a DITY site saying that I could do
    this
    > > by
    > > > changing my Network Identification settings from Domain to Workgroup,
    > > which I
    > > > did. Now Windows won't recognize my password and says that my username
    and
    > > > domain might be incorrect. But I can't change my domain without
    logging
    > > in...
    > > > so, does anyone know a way out of this catch-22 I've gotten myself
    into?
    > > Is
    > > > there some way I'm suppposed to combine my username and domain name
    when
    > > > logging in as a Workgroup? I know for certain I didn't change my
    > > password,
    > > > but nonetheless I can't login. I'd really like to avoid taking my
    laptop
    > > > a repair shop and having it formatted and reloaded, as there are
    important
    > > > files on there that I don't want to lose.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Andreas

Login Domain Windows