  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 10, 2004 9:47:04 AM

As part of a hardening project I removed these registry keys:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Optional
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Os2
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Posix
I did not delete any of the system32 subsystem files.
After doing so I come to find out that a documented DOS application is an Os2
application that runs in a DOS-like window.
Now I need to reinstall the Os2 subsystem portion. I have re-entered the
registry keys, restored the original computer settings with setup
security.inf, and deleted
any registry keys added as part of hardening but the application still does
not function. I get the DOS window with c:\winnt\system32\Os2.exe in the
Title Bar,
a cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the window, and that's all.
This is the same result as with the hardened configuration, so I am stumped
about what else to do.

More about : os2 subsystem reinstall

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:19:49 AM

I don't know for sure since I have never had to do such but if you have a
recent backup of the System State you might want to try and restore
that. --- Steve