Replacing Outlook Express with Outlook

I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch but
I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
instructions available?

It is not necessary to remove Outlook Express in order to use Outlook. For
one thing, OE provides a newsreader which Outlook does not. Outlook is part
of Windows just like Internet Explorer, but you don't use it unless you want
to. The reason you are not seeing it under 'Add/Remove Programs, Change or
Remove Programs' is that it is under 'Add/Remove Windows Components' (notice
the four icons on the left of the Add/Remove window).

"z00618" <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
> Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch
> but
> I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
> Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
> instructions available?

You cannot remove Outlook Express you can only remove access to it. Outlook
uses Outlook Express as its newsreader anyway.

[[Note: While it may appear that Outlook 2003 does have newsgroup support,
when you launch the newsreader, it actually opens in an Outlook Express
window.]]

Not that your using OE as a newsreader anyway.

[[Outlook 2002 uses Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader. When you
install this component, a News command is placed on the Go To command on the
View menu in Outlook.]]
How to use Outlook Express as a newsreader in Outlook 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287684

[[Outlook does not run without Outlook Express installed because Outlook
shares files with Outlook Express.]]
OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287686

[[Microsoft does not support the use of Outlook 2000 without Outlook Express
installed.
Outlook shares files with Outlook Express. If you install Outlook with the
Internet Mail Only (IMO) option, Outlook will not run without Outlook
Express installed. If you install Outlook with the Corporate or Workgroup
(CW) option, Outlook loses much of its functionality.]]
Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230076

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:49364998-D4D7-4F6A-BE80-C62EF725CE2E@microsoft.com,
z00618 <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
> Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to
> switch but I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control
> Panel, Add and Remove Programs there is no Outlook Express program
> listed to remove. Are there instructions available?

Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer, And you do not have to remove
Outlook Express, Leave it be. It won't hurt anything at all, Just run
Outlook and it will import your mail from Outlook Express.
Mickey

"z00618" <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
> Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch
> but
> I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
> Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
> instructions available?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Outlook is part of Windows just like Internet Explorer,

<snipped>

You mean Outlook "Express" is part of Internet Explorer which is a part of
Windows.

In news:49364998-D4D7-4F6A-BE80-C62EF725CE2E@microsoft.com,
z00618 <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have
> purchased
> Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like
> switch but I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control
> Panel, Add and Remove Programs there is no Outlook Express
> program
> listed to remove. Are there instructions available?

Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer, which is part of
Windows. So you can't remove it.

But there's no reason why you should want to remove it.Having it
installed doesn't stop you from using whatever program you want
for E-mail.

Moreover, Outlook doesn't incorporate a newsreader, and by
default uses Outlook Express for that, so you need it (or some
other newsreader) if you participate in newsgroups. I see that
you're accessing this newsgroup via the web interface. That's the
slowest, clunkiest, most error-prone method there is. You might
want to do yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as
Outlook Express,
..See

Please reply to the newsgroup

Correct.

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

>> Outlook is part of Windows just like Internet Explorer,
>
> <snipped>
>
> You mean Outlook "Express" is part of Internet Explorer which is a part of
> Windows.

"z00618" <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
> Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch
> but
> I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
> Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
> instructions available?

If you did remove OE and then installed Outlook XP, it would re-install OE.
Outlook requires it. Also, there is no reason to remove OE in order to use
Outlook.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com