Replacing Outlook Express with Outlook

I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch but
I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
instructions available?
7 answers Last reply
More about replacing outlook express outlook

    It is not necessary to remove Outlook Express in order to use Outlook. For
    one thing, OE provides a newsreader which Outlook does not. Outlook is part
    of Windows just like Internet Explorer, but you don't use it unless you want
    to. The reason you are not seeing it under 'Add/Remove Programs, Change or
    Remove Programs' is that it is under 'Add/Remove Windows Components' (notice
    the four icons on the left of the Add/Remove window).

    "z00618" <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
    > Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch
    > but
    > I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
    > Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
    > instructions available?

    You cannot remove Outlook Express you can only remove access to it. Outlook
    uses Outlook Express as its newsreader anyway.

    [[Note: While it may appear that Outlook 2003 does have newsgroup support,
    when you launch the newsreader, it actually opens in an Outlook Express
    window.]]

    Not that your using OE as a newsreader anyway.

    [[Outlook 2002 uses Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader. When you
    install this component, a News command is placed on the Go To command on the
    View menu in Outlook.]]
    How to use Outlook Express as a newsreader in Outlook 2002
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287684

    [[Outlook does not run without Outlook Express installed because Outlook
    shares files with Outlook Express.]]
    OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287686

    [[Microsoft does not support the use of Outlook 2000 without Outlook Express
    installed.
    Outlook shares files with Outlook Express. If you install Outlook with the
    Internet Mail Only (IMO) option, Outlook will not run without Outlook
    Express installed. If you install Outlook with the Corporate or Workgroup
    (CW) option, Outlook loses much of its functionality.]]
    Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230076

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:49364998-D4D7-4F6A-BE80-C62EF725CE2E@microsoft.com,
    z00618 <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
    > Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to
    > switch but I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control
    > Panel, Add and Remove Programs there is no Outlook Express program
    > listed to remove. Are there instructions available?

    Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer, And you do not have to remove
    Outlook Express, Leave it be. It won't hurt anything at all, Just run
    Outlook and it will import your mail from Outlook Express.
    Mickey

    > Outlook is part of Windows just like Internet Explorer,

    <snipped>

    You mean Outlook "Express" is part of Internet Explorer which is a part of
    Windows.

    In news:49364998-D4D7-4F6A-BE80-C62EF725CE2E@microsoft.com,
    z00618 <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have
    > purchased
    > Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like
    > switch but I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control
    > Panel, Add and Remove Programs there is no Outlook Express
    > program
    > listed to remove. Are there instructions available?

    Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer, which is part of
    Windows. So you can't remove it.

    But there's no reason why you should want to remove it.Having it
    installed doesn't stop you from using whatever program you want
    for E-mail.

    Moreover, Outlook doesn't incorporate a newsreader, and by
    default uses Outlook Express for that, so you need it (or some
    other newsreader) if you participate in newsgroups. I see that
    you're accessing this newsgroup via the web interface. That's the
    slowest, clunkiest, most error-prone method there is. You might
    want to do yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as
    Outlook Express,
    ..See

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Correct.

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    >> Outlook is part of Windows just like Internet Explorer,
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > You mean Outlook "Express" is part of Internet Explorer which is a part of
    > Windows.

    "z00618" <z00618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have used Outlook Express for email for some time. I have purchased
    > Microsoft XP Office Pro, which includes Outlook. I would like to switch
    > but
    > I'm having trouble doing this. When I go to Control Panel, Add and Remove
    > Programs there is no Outlook Express program listed to remove. Are there
    > instructions available?

    If you did remove OE and then installed Outlook XP, it would re-install OE.
    Outlook requires it. Also, there is no reason to remove OE in order to use
    Outlook.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Outlook Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP