Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
If I'm reading the side of my PSU correctly, I have 450 watt with 12v@18amps. I guess this isen't enough, but I really can't afford much more right now. Is it possible that a 8800 would run on this, or totally out of the picture?

Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Yes but like i siad if you plan to do more with the system you will need somthing stronger.

All to often i see people drop a lot of money or some very nice components just to cheap out on one of the most important ones. The PSU it the life blood of your system. If you go cheap on it then it will only cause problems for you in the future. There are only a few items you can truely afford to go cheap on. That's the case and everything outside of the case.

Well, thats all I can truly afford at this point. Any more and I'm just really pushing it, going to run $400 all and all. In the future I can always upgrade my power supply for now, but I don't plan on doing any overclocking for awhile.

Thanks for your help.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Yes but like i siad if you plan to do more with the system you will need somthing stronger.

All to often i see people drop a lot of money or some very nice components just to cheap out on one of the most important ones. The PSU it the life blood of your system. If you go cheap on it then it will only cause problems for you in the future. There are only a few items you can truely afford to go cheap on. That's the case and everything outside of the case.
Btw MR. Mpil, sorry to hijack this thread, but, noticed that lately some manufacturers have started to sell "videocard psus"
where they only have a 12V rail of around 15-25Amps ( 100 to 300 Watts) solely for videocards.
so the question is:
¿ you recommend these?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
They can be a good upgrade option. Typicly they provide you with 2 6 pin PCI-e power connectors to help power your video card. It is not recomeneded to use one of these units to power a single 8800 on it's own. The 8800GTX reqires 2 PCI-e connectors and it's recomended that you use only one of the addon PSU connectors on the card and use the PCI-e from your PSU to occupy the other connection. Another option is to buy a new PSU that you can affoard and mod the old PSU as a secondary PSU for your drives. All it takes is integrating the green wire and one of the black wires from the second PSU in with the wire of the same color on the primary PSU. This way both units power up when you hit the power button. There are a couple of cases that will acomidate dual PSUs and come with an adabter cable that will allow both to connect to the motherboard. This cable does the same thing as moding the second unit. Now the second unit should only be for fans and drives.

my stacker SCT-101 suposedly supports 2, and as a small interconector, but I heard many bad tales of triying to mix the psus..

so you actually think these forvideocards psus are good, but only if you "distribute" the power betwen the normal psu and the vid card psu right?

Im still worried on my side, cause I want to get the X2900XT ( the XT version ) and my current PSU ( Antec True Power 550W 30A on 12V rail, single one ) wont be enought ( I Got a lot of hardware components, 2 hdds ,2 optical drives and other stuff )

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
With the new R600 you will need a new PSU. The addons will not help. The R600 will be using the new 8 pin PCI-e power connector.

The 8pins are supposed to be backward compatible with the 6 pins, though the rumor is, you can't access ati overdrive without using the 8-pin.

AMD Releases Final R600 Specs

Overdrive

Incidently, there are already new psu's on the market with the 8pin connections. The silverstone 850 I just bought has them included. :0 guess I'm ready to go.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
As I said, barely enough, and either way, who would run a highend system off a cheap 450w psu?

im not on a "cheap" 450 watt, im on 550 W
but considering the R600 will be a monster, Im thinking options, its better to be safe than sorry later..

I got way too much space on my Stacker SC-101 so that psu for vid cards made me wonder if it was good ( giving one 6pci-e connectot from the videocardPSU to the vid card, and one 6 pin connector from my normal psu)
that should be around 26 + 30am = 56 total amperage
(Im running a X850XT atm.. )
so this antec true power is doing preety fine for me (with my oced system + watercoling )

so I shall see the recommended powersupplies from mpilch's lists and buy a better one :>

*edit*
nevermind, you reply was targeted to the original poster and not me.

With the new R600 you will need a new PSU. The addons will not help. The R600 will be using the new 8 pin PCI-e power connector.

The 8pins are supposed to be backward compatible with the 6 pins, though the rumor is, you can't access ati overdrive without using the 8-pin.

AMD Releases Final R600 Specs

Overdrive

Incidently, there are already new psu's on the market with the 8pin connections. The silverstone 850 I just bought has them included. :0 guess I'm ready to go.
honestly, Im not thinking in using overdrive, at least not for the time, Im not a super hardcore gamer who needs his internet penis to feel huge in 3dmark2006 to be happy with his hardware XD

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Considering the needs of the R600 your best option for now is this unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256011

At the very least it's one of the most future proof PSU availible right now.

Thats a very "handsome" psu o_O

that should be able, same with this (the 1kw version is too much)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703008
But pc p&c are the best on the block, my friend bought this before newegg jacked up the price, and he can run his 8800gtx and a bunch of other highend crap without a sweat
holy shit, 60 amperes in a single rail?
I tought that was not possible for NorthAmerica based wall sockets? o_O

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Well then you will pass out at the 1KW's 72A on a single rail. The amp rating is easily doable. It just takes a good quality unit to be able to produce that power. Besides more multi railed PSU only have a single +12v rails. But there are dividing cuircutes that limit the current to creat seprate rails. This will exsplain it better.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psumultirail/multirails.html
aaah thank you, I will read it asap :>

*Edit*
talk about a trainwreck, jesus, that thing was so confusing..
its like all psu makers are worse liars than most politicians o_O