Reset admin password on all pc's in domain

Tags:
  • Security
  • Domain
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
December 13, 2004 10:37:04 AM

I've been researching to find if there is a way to reset or change the
administrator password for all of the pc's on our domain (400+). Anyone have
any ideas or software that can do this other than visiting each pc?

More about : reset admin password domain

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 14, 2004 4:04:04 AM

There are a couple of ways and depends on if you are using the same local
password on all the computers or not. I can understand using the same
administrator password on some computers but feel that sensitive computers
such as servers and managerial/admin computers must have unique built in
administrator password as there is a real risk of someone using methods to
find their local administrator password.

To give all computer different passwords ou can use a RK tool called cusrmgr
and a batch file as shown in the KB article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272530

SysInternals also make a nifty tool called PsPasswd that can change
passwords on large numbers of computer easily in a number of ways including
using a text file with computer names and even a wildcard [be careful] to
change password on all active computers in the domain. --- Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pspasswd.sht...

The net command can also be used in a Group Policy startup script for domain
computers as in [ net user administrator newpassword] . The script using
that command could also have it's permissions changed to include only
administrators and domain computers groups so that users could not navigate
to the sysvol share to read the new password.

Depending on the method you use, keep in mind that password will not be
changed unless the computer is active or has been started/restarted in the
case of a startup script. --- Steve

"S.Lundy" <S.Lundy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 0008349-EE9E-4943-8B6D-6212A89FAA77@microsoft.com...
> I've been researching to find if there is a way to reset or change the
> administrator password for all of the pc's on our domain (400+). Anyone
> have
> any ideas or software that can do this other than visiting each pc?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 14, 2004 5:45:04 AM

you may want to consider looking at Hyena (GUI based), which in addition to
the task you need, offers other useful administrative options:

http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/

!