This is getting crazy...

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 27, 2004 10:24:03 AM

OK, I started with a pretty basic idea...buy an HDTV. Now, while it
may seem simple, every day it is something new. First, I like the
Sony 60" LCD. I probably should have just bought that one, because it
looked good. But I hate buying things right away so I figure I'll
look around. Next, I read about DLP and it does look like the DLP may
be the better route than the LCD, although I am not sure there yet.
To make things even more complicated, I now see this new "HD3 DLP"
chip in the HLP models for Samsung and it adds a third choice to my
growing list. 2 questions for the group.

First, anyone had any experience with Crutchfield.com? They seem to
have the best combination of price (free in-home delivery) and
customer satisfaction of the others, many of which look to be
scammers.

Second, if you had $3500 to spend, which would you buy:
Samsung HLN567W "older" TI HD2 "Mustang" DLP chip
Samsung HLP5063WX "newer" TI HD3 DLP chip
Sony KF60WE610 LCD

More about : crazy

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 3:29:40 PM

Chris Fiorentino wrote:
> OK, I started with a pretty basic idea...buy an HDTV. Now, while it
> may seem simple, every day it is something new. First, I like the
> Sony 60" LCD. I probably should have just bought that one, because it
> looked good. But I hate buying things right away so I figure I'll
> look around. Next, I read about DLP and it does look like the DLP may
> be the better route than the LCD, although I am not sure there yet.
> To make things even more complicated, I now see this new "HD3 DLP"
> chip in the HLP models for Samsung and it adds a third choice to my
> growing list. 2 questions for the group.
>
> First, anyone had any experience with Crutchfield.com? They seem to
> have the best combination of price (free in-home delivery) and
> customer satisfaction of the others, many of which look to be
> scammers.
>
> Second, if you had $3500 to spend, which would you buy:
> Samsung HLN567W "older" TI HD2 "Mustang" DLP chip
> Samsung HLP5063WX "newer" TI HD3 DLP chip
> Sony KF60WE610 LCD

I have not seen the HD3 sets yet. Between the HD2 and the Sony 610
series, I prefer the Sony. The PQ is great. My brother ordered the Sony
from the Group Buy section of Agoraquest.com (A Sony forum site). The
group buys come from Sony's premier reseller with full warranty and come
with white glove delivery. The prices seemed to be great 6 months ago.
Check out the site for more details.

--
David G.
Anonymous

There are some awesome deals through TV Authority on the AVS Forum. Here's
a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=d651193...

I pre-ordered a HLP through them. If you call the number rather than go to
the web-site they will tell you the anticipated delivery date.

Brad

"Chris Fiorentino" <CFioren317@excite.com> wrote in message
news:D 0a7dad6.0407270524.1d2932d0@posting.google.com...
> OK, I started with a pretty basic idea...buy an HDTV. Now, while it
> may seem simple, every day it is something new. First, I like the
> Sony 60" LCD. I probably should have just bought that one, because it
> looked good. But I hate buying things right away so I figure I'll
> look around. Next, I read about DLP and it does look like the DLP may
> be the better route than the LCD, although I am not sure there yet.
> To make things even more complicated, I now see this new "HD3 DLP"
> chip in the HLP models for Samsung and it adds a third choice to my
> growing list. 2 questions for the group.
>
> First, anyone had any experience with Crutchfield.com? They seem to
> have the best combination of price (free in-home delivery) and
> customer satisfaction of the others, many of which look to be
> scammers.
>
> Second, if you had $3500 to spend, which would you buy:
> Samsung HLN567W "older" TI HD2 "Mustang" DLP chip
> Samsung HLP5063WX "newer" TI HD3 DLP chip
> Sony KF60WE610 LCD
July 27, 2004 6:26:19 PM

"Chris Fiorentino" <CFioren317@excite.com> wrote in message
news:D 0a7dad6.0407270524.1d2932d0@posting.google.com...

> First, anyone had any experience with Crutchfield.com? They seem to
> have the best combination of price (free in-home delivery) and
> customer satisfaction of the others, many of which look to be
> scammers.

I exclusively order from Crutchfield.com when purchasing on line. The
customer service is excellent, the prices are usually right in line with
what you get from other discounters (call them toll free and point them to
the price you can get and often they will match).

Also the send great setup guides, give you step by step instructions if
necessary and also help with tweaking (case in point when I purchased my
home theater I faxed them drawings of the room and they had an expert help
me speaker location and with resetting the box to the proper delays to
accomodate the accoustics in the room). I have never had a bad experience
with them.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:56:13 PM

> I have not seen the HD3 sets yet. Between the HD2 and the Sony 610
> series, I prefer the Sony. The PQ is great. My brother ordered the Sony
> from the Group Buy section of Agoraquest.com (A Sony forum site). The
> group buys come from Sony's premier reseller with full warranty and come
> with white glove delivery. The prices seemed to be great 6 months ago.
> Check out the site for more details.

What about the HD2+ chips that I hear are better than the HD3 chipsets?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:12:28 PM

Probably the 50S500 Hitachi
"Brad Griffis" <bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are some awesome deals through TV Authority on the AVS Forum.
Here's
> a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=d651193...

> I pre-ordered a HLP through them. If you call the number rather than go
> the web-site they will tell you the anticipated delivery date.
>
> Brad
>
> "Chris Fiorentino" <CFioren317@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:D 0a7dad6.0407270524.1d2932d0@posting.google.com...
> > OK, I started with a pretty basic idea...buy an HDTV. Now, while it
> > may seem simple, every day it is something new. First, I like the
> > Sony 60" LCD. I probably should have just bought that one, because it
> > looked good. But I hate buying things right away so I figure I'll
> > look around. Next, I read about DLP and it does look like the DLP may
> > be the better route than the LCD, although I am not sure there yet.
> > To make things even more complicated, I now see this new "HD3 DLP"
> > chip in the HLP models for Samsung and it adds a third choice to my
> > growing list. 2 questions for the group.
> >
> > First, anyone had any experience with Crutchfield.com? They seem to
> > have the best combination of price (free in-home delivery) and
> > customer satisfaction of the others, many of which look to be
> > scammers.
> >
> > Second, if you had $3500 to spend, which would you buy:
> > Samsung HLN567W "older" TI HD2 "Mustang" DLP chip
> > Samsung HLP5063WX "newer" TI HD3 DLP chip
> > Sony KF60WE610 LCD

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:44:13 PM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o MWdnWXFz7KgWJvcRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> Probably the 50S500 Hitachi

I wouldn't buy anything without first seeing it and evaluating it carefully.
I also would be wary of new products in a market with downward price
pressure. Think back to other products in this stage of market
development...not only do manufacturers achieve economies of scale, they
also cut corners to get the latest wiz-bang technology to a lower price
point...

Leonard
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:15:17 AM

Eli Renfro wrote:
>>I have not seen the HD3 sets yet. Between the HD2 and the Sony 610
>>series, I prefer the Sony. The PQ is great. My brother ordered the Sony
>>from the Group Buy section of Agoraquest.com (A Sony forum site). The
>>group buys come from Sony's premier reseller with full warranty and come
>>with white glove delivery. The prices seemed to be great 6 months ago.
>>Check out the site for more details.
>

> What about the HD2+ chips that I hear are better than the HD3 chipsets?

The RPTV with the HD2+ chips are just now entering the marketplace.
There are several new Mits DLP RPTVs and the new so-called Captain Kirk
DLP TV from Samsung. They should provide a better picture than the HD3
chips - higher contrast, true 720x1280 resolution versus the HD3 720x640
chip with an additional mirror.
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html is still an excellent
webpage on the differences, although it is getting out of date on the
model specifics and will likely never be updated as the author of the
website has passed away.

To the original poster, between the Sony LCD RPTV and all the DLP RP
TVs now flooding the market, I prefer the Sonys, but each has their
strengths and weaknesses. The color wheel and the significant number of
problem postings with the Samsung DLPs on www.avsforum.com have all but
made me remove the DLP RPTVs from my get a HDTV sometime real soon
consideration list. I expect I will end up getting a 42" HD Plasma, but
not until the next round of price cuts hits the marketplace.

Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:13:34 AM

Alan Figgatt wrote:
> Eli Renfro wrote:
>>> I have not seen the HD3 sets yet. Between the HD2 and the Sony 610
>>> series, I prefer the Sony. The PQ is great. My brother ordered the
>>> Sony from the Group Buy section of Agoraquest.com (A Sony forum
>>> site). The group buys come from Sony's premier reseller with full
>>> warranty and come with white glove delivery. The prices seemed to
>>> be great 6 months ago. Check out the site for more details.
>>

>> What about the HD2+ chips that I hear are better than the HD3
>> chipsets?
>
> The RPTV with the HD2+ chips are just now entering the marketplace.
> There are several new Mits DLP RPTVs and the new so-called Captain
> Kirk DLP TV from Samsung. They should provide a better picture than
> the HD3 chips - higher contrast, true 720x1280 resolution versus the
> HD3 720x640 chip with an additional mirror.
> http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html is still an excellent
> webpage on the differences, although it is getting out of date on the
> model specifics and will likely never be updated as the author of the
> website has passed away.
>
> To the original poster, between the Sony LCD RPTV and all the DLP RP
> TVs now flooding the market, I prefer the Sonys, but each has their
> strengths and weaknesses. The color wheel and the significant number
> of problem postings with the Samsung DLPs on www.avsforum.com have
> all but made me remove the DLP RPTVs from my get a HDTV sometime real
> soon consideration list. I expect I will end up getting a 42" HD
> Plasma, but not until the next round of price cuts hits the
> marketplace.
>
> Alan Figgatt

Maybe I read your post wrong, but the HD2, HD3 and HD2+ DMD chips are
all 1280x720 HD res.

--
David G.
July 28, 2004 5:57:38 AM

Brad that was mean, Sending a fella who's a bit confused to the AVS Forum...
<G> Now what do ya think will happen - big men in white coats....

Just kidding.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:49:37 AM

"Chris Fiorentino" wrote in message
news:D 0a7dad6.0407270524.1d2932d0@posting.google.com...
>>snip>>
> Second, if you had $3500 to spend, which would you buy:
> Samsung HLN567W "older" TI HD2 "Mustang" DLP chip
> Samsung HLP5063WX "newer" TI HD3 DLP chip
> Sony KF60WE610 LCD

Neither of those, I would use that money to buy an LCD front projector like
the Sony VPL HS20...wait a minute...that's exactly what I did!
Seriously...after looking at demos of those models and looking at the Sony
front projector giving me a 102" image in my living room for about $2,800,
it became a no-brainer. You can then use the extra money to buy a
DVI-enabled DVD player and really enjoy DVDs on a screen twice the size of
those RPTVs. Also the HD programs on a 100" or larger screen is just
awesome...NFL football is incredible!

borromini
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:48:50 PM

borromini wrote:
> "Chris Fiorentino" wrote in message
> news:D 0a7dad6.0407270524.1d2932d0@posting.google.com...
>>> snip>>
>> Second, if you had $3500 to spend, which would you buy:
>> Samsung HLN567W "older" TI HD2 "Mustang" DLP chip
>> Samsung HLP5063WX "newer" TI HD3 DLP chip
>> Sony KF60WE610 LCD
>
> Neither of those, I would use that money to buy an LCD front
> projector like the Sony VPL HS20...wait a minute...that's exactly
> what I did! Seriously...after looking at demos of those models and
> looking at the Sony front projector giving me a 102" image in my
> living room for about $2,800, it became a no-brainer. You can then
> use the extra money to buy a DVI-enabled DVD player and really enjoy
> DVDs on a screen twice the size of those RPTVs. Also the HD programs
> on a 100" or larger screen is just awesome...NFL football is
> incredible!
>
> borromini

Except you can't watch TV with the light on or the Windows unshaded
during the day. Most of us don't have a dedicated home theater room and
have to share the space we have with the kids, the wife, and the nosey
neighbors.

--
David G.
Anonymous

Alan Figgatt wrote:

> The RPTV with the HD2+ chips are just now entering the marketplace.
> There are several new Mits DLP RPTVs and the new so-called Captain Kirk
> DLP TV from Samsung. They should provide a better picture than the HD3
> chips - higher contrast, true 720x1280 resolution versus the HD3 720x640
> chip with an additional mirror. ...

Alan,

I'm quite sure that you'll find the resolution for BOTH the HD2+ and HD3
chips is identical - 1280 X 720 . Additionally, not sure what you mean
by "additional mirror" - however if you mean segments, the Samsung HD3
sets all have seven segment color wheels, as do the Samsung HD2+ .

Jerry
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:32:43 PM

Jsheldon wrote:

> Alan Figgatt wrote:
>
>> The RPTV with the HD2+ chips are just now entering the marketplace.
>> There are several new Mits DLP RPTVs and the new so-called Captain
>> Kirk DLP TV from Samsung. They should provide a better picture than
>> the HD3 chips - higher contrast, true 720x1280 resolution versus the
>> HD3 720x640 chip with an additional mirror. ...
>

> Alan,
>
> I'm quite sure that you'll find the resolution for BOTH the HD2+ and HD3
> chips is identical - 1280 X 720 . Additionally, not sure what you mean
> by "additional mirror" - however if you mean segments, the Samsung HD3
> sets all have seven segment color wheels, as do the Samsung HD2+ .
>
> Jerry

It has been widely discussed on avsforum.com that the HD3 chips
actually use 1 mirror for 2 pixels on the screen. The lower cost HD3 has
720x640 diamond configuration mirrors, the upcoming more expensive xHD3
has 1080x960 mirrors (for the 1080ix1920 RPTVs). I am unclear on the
details, but they flip each mirror twice to generate the displayed
pixels, supposedly at a 120 Hz rate. The HD2+ chip retains the full
720x1280 mirrors but with improvements to the HD2 design. That is why
the HT buffs are waiting for the HD2+ sets to come out which are
supposed to have higher contrast and slightly better picture quality
than the HD3 sets. The picture quality of the Samsung HD3 sets (yes, all
the HLP models have the 7 segment color wheel regardless of the DLP
chip) is pretty good however.

Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:07:31 AM

"David G." wrote:
> Except you can't watch TV with the light on or the Windows unshaded
> during the day. Most of us don't have a dedicated home theater room and
> have to share the space we have with the kids, the wife, and the nosey
> neighbors.

I have four large windows in my room with regular blinds and with the blinds
open during the day, I can see my projected image just fine. You don't have
to have a dedicated home theater to use a digital front projector. You just
have to know what to look for in projector specs. As long as the lamp is
rated at 800 lumens or higher, it will work with ambient light...as for nosy
neighbors...I guess I'm lucky that mine mind their own business.

borromini
!