after installing security patches, 16-bit app will not lau..

Installed security updates (running Win2K Pro SP4), defragged, rebooted and
3rd party software will not launch, all other apps are fine. Called their
tech support, known issue with 16-bit app, but they do not have a solution.
"Someone" contacted Microsoft and got a solution, but they don't know who or
what.

I found KB article 167947 describing issue, but it gave no solution.
2 answers Last reply
More about after installing security patches

    Hello,

    We have a known issue of when you install MS04-032 that 16-bit apps, do not
    work.

    Here is an article that talks about a work around for this issue:

    "Config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
    Windows applications" error message when you try to run a program in
    Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;889506

    If you are getting the following error "Access to the specified device,
    path, or file is denied", please see the following:
    Also, MS04-032 includes support for the Windows 2003 policy:
    Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application
    Compatibility\Prevent access to 16-bit applications.

    If this policy has been set, disable the policy that prevents access to 16
    bit applications for those clients
    who need to run them.

    Thank You.

    Diana.

    diasmith@online.microsoft.com

    --------------------
    <webbish2003@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: after installing security patches, 16-bit app will not launch
    | Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:25:19 -0800
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    |
    | Installed security updates (running Win2K Pro SP4), defragged, rebooted
    and
    | 3rd party software will not launch, all other apps are fine. Called
    their
    | tech support, known issue with 16-bit app, but they do not have a
    solution.
    | "Someone" contacted Microsoft and got a solution, but they don't know who
    or
    | what.
    |
    | I found KB article 167947 describing issue, but it gave no solution.

    diasmith@online.microsoft.com

    I am not receiving any error messages at all. When trying to launch the
    mouse pointer turns to an hour glass briefly then back to a pointer.
    Uninstalling KB840987 seems to have worked for the moment...thanks.

    ""Diana Smith [MSFT]"" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have a known issue of when you install MS04-032 that 16-bit apps, do not
    > work.
    >
    > Here is an article that talks about a work around for this issue:
    >
    > "Config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
    > Windows applications" error message when you try to run a program in
    > Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;889506
    >

    > If you are getting the following error "Access to the specified device,
    > path, or file is denied", please see the following:
    > Also, MS04-032 includes support for the Windows 2003 policy:
    > Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application
    > Compatibility\Prevent access to 16-bit applications.
    >
    > If this policy has been set, disable the policy that prevents access to 16
    > bit applications for those clients
    > who need to run them.
    >
    > Thank You.
    >
    > Diana.

    > diasmith@online.microsoft.com
    >

    > --------------------
    > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?d2ViYmlzaDIwMDM=?="
    > <webbish2003@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > | Subject: after installing security patches, 16-bit app will not launch
    > | Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:25:19 -0800
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    > |
    > | Installed security updates (running Win2K Pro SP4), defragged, rebooted
    > and
    > | 3rd party software will not launch, all other apps are fine. Called
    > their
    > | tech support, known issue with 16-bit app, but they do not have a
    > solution.
    > | "Someone" contacted Microsoft and got a solution, but they don't know who
    > or
    > | what.
    > |
    > | I found KB article 167947 describing issue, but it gave no solution.

    > diasmith@online.microsoft.com

Security Microsoft Windows