after installing security patches, 16-bit app will not lau..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
December 14, 2004 4:25:19 PM

Installed security updates (running Win2K Pro SP4), defragged, rebooted and
3rd party software will not launch, all other apps are fine. Called their
tech support, known issue with 16-bit app, but they do not have a solution.
"Someone" contacted Microsoft and got a solution, but they don't know who or
what.

I found KB article 167947 describing issue, but it gave no solution.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2004 11:45:11 PM

Hello,

We have a known issue of when you install MS04-032 that 16-bit apps, do not
work.

Here is an article that talks about a work around for this issue:

"Config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
Windows applications" error message when you try to run a program in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;889506

If you are getting the following error "Access to the specified device,
path, or file is denied", please see the following:
Also, MS04-032 includes support for the Windows 2003 policy:
Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application
Compatibility\Prevent access to 16-bit applications.

If this policy has been set, disable the policy that prevents access to 16
bit applications for those clients
who need to run them.

Thank You.

Diana.

diasmith@online.microsoft.com

--------------------
<webbish2003@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: after installing security patches, 16-bit app will not launch
| Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:25:19 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| Installed security updates (running Win2K Pro SP4), defragged, rebooted
and
| 3rd party software will not launch, all other apps are fine. Called
their
| tech support, known issue with 16-bit app, but they do not have a
solution.
| "Someone" contacted Microsoft and got a solution, but they don't know who
or
| what.
|
| I found KB article 167947 describing issue, but it gave no solution.

diasmith@online.microsoft.com
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2004 11:45:12 PM

I am not receiving any error messages at all. When trying to launch the
mouse pointer turns to an hour glass briefly then back to a pointer.
Uninstalling KB840987 seems to have worked for the moment...thanks.

!