Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Colosseum] Medicham vs. Hariyama

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:30:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Which makes for a better Fighting-type, Medicham or Hariyama? I want to
use Medicham because it's part Psychic and I have a Hariyama in
Sapphire, but Medicham only learns a few Fighting moves and I don't like
most of them.

Progress wise, I've just gotten into The Under. Damn! That Wailord's
hyuu-uu-uu-uu-uu-uge!

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 7:56:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
message news:2g5qdvF4mj2nU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> Which makes for a better Fighting-type, Medicham or Hariyama? I want to
> use Medicham because it's part Psychic and I have a Hariyama in
> Sapphire, but Medicham only learns a few Fighting moves and I don't like
> most of them.

Hariyama has extremely high HP (492 max) and good Attack. It's very slow
and has awful Defense/Special Defense. Medicham is quick, and has balanced
stats all around. It has the ability "Pure Power," which raises its Attack
stat, but I don't know what the exact bonus is.

For the purposes of Colosseum's scenario mode, Medicham is much more useful
than Hariyama. Hi Jump Kick has more PP than Cross Chop, and does more
damage than Vital Throw. Medicham also has Detect, which is useful for
avoiding Earthquake and Explosion damage during double battles. As it
levels up, it learns Recover, which is nice. It's fairly versatile, and
once you've completed the game and have access to all of the TMs/Move
Tutors, you can customize it to make it a physical fighter (with Hi Jump
Kick and some other Attack-based moves), or a Special sweeper (with Calm
Mind, and some elemental punches).

>
> Progress wise, I've just gotten into The Under. Damn! That Wailord's
> hyuu-uu-uu-uu-uu-uge!

Yep, seeing Wailord pop out of its Pokeball for the first time is definitely
one of Colosseum's "wow" moments. There's a point in the game where you
have to fight two of them, and seeing a pair of those behemoths on screen at
the same time is pretty staggering.


--Beth
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 2:10:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:j7onc.128933$Qy.84129@fed1read04...
> "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
> message news:2g5qdvF4mj2nU1@uni-berlin.de...
> >
> > Which makes for a better Fighting-type, Medicham or Hariyama? I want to
> > use Medicham because it's part Psychic and I have a Hariyama in
> > Sapphire, but Medicham only learns a few Fighting moves and I don't like
> > most of them.
>
> Hariyama has extremely high HP (492 max) and good Attack. It's very slow
> and has awful Defense/Special Defense. Medicham is quick, and has
balanced
> stats all around. It has the ability "Pure Power," which raises its
Attack
> stat, but I don't know what the exact bonus is.
>
> For the purposes of Colosseum's scenario mode, Medicham is much more
useful
> than Hariyama. Hi Jump Kick has more PP than Cross Chop, and does more
> damage than Vital Throw. Medicham also has Detect, which is useful for
> avoiding Earthquake and Explosion damage during double battles. As it
> levels up, it learns Recover, which is nice. It's fairly versatile, and
> once you've completed the game and have access to all of the TMs/Move
> Tutors, you can customize it to make it a physical fighter (with Hi Jump
> Kick and some other Attack-based moves), or a Special sweeper (with Calm
> Mind, and some elemental punches).
>
> >
> > Progress wise, I've just gotten into The Under. Damn! That Wailord's
> > hyuu-uu-uu-uu-uu-uge!
>
> Yep, seeing Wailord pop out of its Pokeball for the first time is
definitely
> one of Colosseum's "wow" moments. There's a point in the game where you
> have to fight two of them, and seeing a pair of those behemoths on screen
at
> the same time is pretty staggering.

Do they just levitate in mid air as a lot of water pokemon have done in
previous games? That's one concept that seems to be difficult to overcome in
the stadium style games.

--

"aouf" It's the new (edited) way of swearing
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aouf&f=1
This message is available in Dolby Analogue 1.0
Well, that's my 2 cents worth for today.
Damn you all top posters!
"I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g' joob" -
Beatles, 'I am the Walrus.'
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 4:42:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

In article <2g6ldjF4k40aU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Do they just levitate in mid air as a lot of water pokemon have done in
>previous games? That's one concept that seems to be difficult to overcome in
>the stadium style games.
>
Yup, two big whales levitating above you with those big toothy mouths.
Tough Pokemon, too. They gave me a good fight.


--
David H. Thornley | If you want my opinion, ask.
david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
http://www.thornley.net/~thornley/david/ | O-
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:44:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Bandraptor wrote:
> "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
> message news:2g5qdvF4mj2nU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
>>Which makes for a better Fighting-type, Medicham or Hariyama? I want to
>> use Medicham because it's part Psychic and I have a Hariyama in
>>Sapphire, but Medicham only learns a few Fighting moves and I don't like
>>most of them.
>
>
> Hariyama has extremely high HP (492 max) and good Attack. It's very slow
> and has awful Defense/Special Defense. Medicham is quick, and has balanced
> stats all around. It has the ability "Pure Power," which raises its Attack
> stat, but I don't know what the exact bonus is.
>
What about Hitmontop. I just remembered it was an option. It may not
be an Advance-generation Pokemon, but it's still one I have yet to train
beyond purification.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 8:24:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<2gtm4cF6h0geU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> What about Hitmontop. I just remembered it was an option. It may not
> be an Advance-generation Pokemon, but it's still one I have yet to train
> beyond purification.

Hitmontop's sole reason for existing is so it can Ditto-breed and
produce Hitmonlees.

Seriously, what's the max base damage of Triple Kick? 60?


--Beth
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 9:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5e15dcde.0405200324.1fc1c90@posting.google.com...
> Hitmontop's sole reason for existing is so it can Ditto-breed and
> produce Hitmonlees.
>
> Seriously, what's the max base damage of Triple Kick? 60?

:-(

I love Hitmontop. His sole reason for existing, to me, is to spin like a
man possessed. Yes, Triple Kick does 60 base damage at most, and there's a
not-unreasonable chance of it doing significantly less, but...he looks so
awesome when he does it!

Then again, I've always played Pokémon using my favourites, and the other
Fighting types aren't quite funky enough for me.

Course, beginning to regret that now that I'm facing Dakim. All his Pokémon
and their """clever""" movesets need to die IRL.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 9:39:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1085071147.545861@leri.aber.ac.uk...
> "Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:5e15dcde.0405200324.1fc1c90@posting.google.com...
> > Hitmontop's sole reason for existing is so it can Ditto-breed and
> > produce Hitmonlees.
> >
> > Seriously, what's the max base damage of Triple Kick? 60?
>
> :-(
>
> I love Hitmontop. His sole reason for existing, to me, is to spin like a
> man possessed. Yes, Triple Kick does 60 base damage at most, and there's
a
> not-unreasonable chance of it doing significantly less, but...he looks so
> awesome when he does it!

I'm being a bit harsh. I just remember what a chore it was to purify
Hitmontop, since his natural moveset was so horrid (Focus Energy, Triple
Kick, Rapid Spin). If Colosseum allowed players to give their Shadow
Pokemon TMs and Move Tutor moves, I might feel differently.

I actually like Hitmontop--he's definitely the coolest looking Fighter--but
I think that Game Freak does not. He has weird stat distribution, and while
Ru/Sa could've improved him by giving him a great ability, he ended up
with...Intimidate. -_- 'Montop doesn't even look particularly scary. I
think that Own Tempo, Oblivious, Serene Grace, or Speed Boost would've been
better choices.

> Then again, I've always played Pokémon using my favourites, and the other
> Fighting types aren't quite funky enough for me.

Hey, I can respect that. I've spent far too much time breeding to get my
ideal Sneasel, even though I know how bad Sneasel's stats are. Thing is, if
somebody asked me which Ice-type was the strongest, I wouldn't recommend
Sneasel over Lapras and Dewgong. Tech asked which of the Shadow
Fighting-types was best, and of the three that are available, I think that
Medicham is the strongest. 'Montop is on par with Hariyama; it has high
defensive stats and low HP, while Hariyama has high HP and low defense.

> Course, beginning to regret that now that I'm facing Dakim. All his Pokém
on
> and their """clever""" movesets need to die IRL.

Let me guess: Six Pokemon with Earthquake and Flying-subtype/Levitate?


--Beth
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:31:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:vzbrc.314$PU5.2@fed1read06...
> > Then again, I've always played Pokémon using my favourites, and the
other
> > Fighting types aren't quite funky enough for me.
>
> Hey, I can respect that. I've spent far too much time breeding to get my
> ideal Sneasel, even though I know how bad Sneasel's stats are. Thing is,
if
> somebody asked me which Ice-type was the strongest, I wouldn't recommend
> Sneasel over Lapras and Dewgong. Tech asked which of the Shadow
> Fighting-types was best, and of the three that are available, I think that
> Medicham is the strongest.

Heh, fair point.

Stadium was always where I'd lay my favourites to rest and went for
Pokémon-I-kinda-like-but-can-still-win, since you fought actual proper
fights

> > Course, beginning to regret that now that I'm facing Dakim. All his
> > Pokémon and their """clever""" movesets need to die IRL.
>
> Let me guess: Six Pokemon with Earthquake and Flying-subtype/Levitate?

Quite.

Fliers? Use Electric. Oh no. Quake killed it.

Alright... Ground types. Use Grass Pokémon! What? Sunny D-
FLAMETHROWER? Oh, man.

Ok, I still have Water types for Grounders. Sure, Sunny Day weakens Surf,
but it's better than- SOLARBEAM? COME ON!

Although I lied when I said I regretted including Hitmontop (appropriately
nicknamed Cappie, of course) on my team, since HE doesn't die immediately to
Earthquake, Flamethrower or Solarbeam, and can at least take down Houndoom
pretty quickly.

I want a survivable Ice type too. Piloswine dies to Grass moves and
Sneasel's hardly an infinitely superior option.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 9:35:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

STEFFAN HEDD ALUN wrote:

> "Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:vzbrc.314$PU5.2@fed1read06...
>
>>>Course, beginning to regret that now that I'm facing Dakim. All his
>>>Pokémon and their """clever""" movesets need to die IRL.
>>
>>Let me guess: Six Pokemon with Earthquake and Flying-subtype/Levitate?
>
>
> Quite.
>
> Fliers? Use Electric. Oh no. Quake killed it.
>
> Alright... Ground types. Use Grass Pokémon! What? Sunny D-
> FLAMETHROWER? Oh, man.
>
> Ok, I still have Water types for Grounders. Sure, Sunny Day weakens Surf,
> but it's better than- SOLARBEAM? COME ON!
>
If you want to know, here's how I dealt with that team:

Dakim's opening duo of Golem and Metang always goes for the same moves:
First, Golem Protects while Metang Earthquakes, then Metang Protects
while Golem Earthquakes. I don't know about your game, but it went like
that every time I fought Dakim. I opened with Feraligatr and Noctowl,
attempting to hypnotise whichever one wasn't using Protect, wearing down
Metang a little, then trying to knock them both out at once with Surf.
I also tried for simultaneous KO's on Marshstomp and Camerupt, focusing
a little more on Marshstomp since it's not as sensitive to Water. After
finishing off whatever Pokemon managed to survive that attack, it was
pretty much an exercise in keeping Entei from knocking itself out before
I could catch it.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:17:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
message news:2hfim5Fc2li5U1@uni-berlin.de...
> <snip> it was
> pretty much an exercise in keeping Entei from knocking itself out before
> I could catch it.

All good and well, but I'm talking about the SECOND Dakim encounter, where
everything knows Earthquake, Flamethrower, Solarbeam, Sunny Day, or
variations on the theme. I've not played in a few days, partly due to
exams, and partly because I just can't win.

Still, advice on this encounter would be appreciated from those who've
defeated him.

Steffan
!