55" Mitsubishi RPTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 27, 2004 12:33:45 PM

Need opinions on Silver Plus vs Gold Vs Gold Plus. I would preferably
like to receive hdtv content over cable without a set top hdtv tuner.
Will the integrated tuner in the Gold and Gold Plus models allow me to
get hdtv for OTA and digital cable without another box? If I pony up
for dish I assume I will have to use their equipment, this won't cause
a problem on a model with an integrated tuner will it?

Lastly the Sony RPTV's have a nice image but I am suspect of their
product's build quality. Anyone wanting to throw in their two cents on
why they like Mits or Sony better will be appreciated. I am a total
rptv newbie.

Thanks in advance.

More about : mitsubishi rptv

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:56:30 PM

"Michael Lankton" <mlankton@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Need opinions on Silver Plus vs Gold Vs Gold Plus. I would preferably
> like to receive hdtv content over cable without a set top hdtv tuner.
> Will the integrated tuner in the Gold and Gold Plus models allow me to
> get hdtv for OTA and digital cable without another box? If I pony up
> for dish I assume I will have to use their equipment, this won't cause
> a problem on a model with an integrated tuner will it?
>
> Lastly the Sony RPTV's have a nice image but I am suspect of their
> product's build quality. Anyone wanting to throw in their two cents on
> why they like Mits or Sony better will be appreciated. I am a total
> rptv newbie.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Build quality should not be an issue between Mits and Sony, both among the
best in this regard. I'd compare Hitachi and Toshiba generally in this
regard also. The pix is better on the Gold Plus over the Silver. I
personally like the Mits pix better than the Sony also. I service both
brands as an ASC and other brands as well. Mits has the best customer
support hands down, followed by Hitachi, then Sony and Toshiba.

Leonard
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:10:39 PM

Strange no one mentioned the Pioneer Elite Series??
"Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Lankton" <mlankton@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > Need opinions on Silver Plus vs Gold Vs Gold Plus. I would preferably
> > like to receive hdtv content over cable without a set top hdtv tuner.
> > Will the integrated tuner in the Gold and Gold Plus models allow me to
> > get hdtv for OTA and digital cable without another box? If I pony up
> > for dish I assume I will have to use their equipment, this won't cause
> > a problem on a model with an integrated tuner will it?
> >
> > Lastly the Sony RPTV's have a nice image but I am suspect of their
> > product's build quality. Anyone wanting to throw in their two cents on
> > why they like Mits or Sony better will be appreciated. I am a total
> > rptv newbie.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Build quality should not be an issue between Mits and Sony, both among the
> best in this regard. I'd compare Hitachi and Toshiba generally in this
> regard also. The pix is better on the Gold Plus over the Silver. I
> personally like the Mits pix better than the Sony also. I service both
> brands as an ASC and other brands as well. Mits has the best customer
> support hands down, followed by Hitachi, then Sony and Toshiba.
>
> Leonard

July 27, 2004 9:41:19 PM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Strange no one mentioned the Pioneer Elite Series??

He was comparing sets that were not in this price range. Also, my comments
were largely with respect to build quality and having service the Pioneer
sets extensively, I do not consider them to be particularly good in that
regard. Over the past 20 years I have seen dozens of boards (rebuilt by
Pioneer) come from Pioneer needing hundreds of solder joints redone. Their
insistence on selling certain parts only as part of larger assemblies
(complete circuit boards) also leads me to eliminate them from consideration
with the other "big four". 10-20 years ago they Elite was a better product
than the others, easily. In recent years this is not so clear. Personally,
I'd have the high end Mits over the Elite with no second thoughts.

Leonard
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:20:27 PM

Leo: I agree with you since I also have service too many of their products.
However, when operating correctly their picture quality does compare with
the Mits and Sony products.<
> Most fun personally was when servicing a unit for the Utica, Michigan Fire
Department. They had the nice Pioneer set in there R/R room, of course it
got plenty of use, sometimes 24/7. One day the Department went out on a call
to return to a smoke filled R/R room in their fire hall, seems the audio
circuit within their set had self destructed. Protect devices did their job
but only after two pcbs were burnt beyond repair. LOL!!

> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Strange no one mentioned the Pioneer Elite Series??
>
> He was comparing sets that were not in this price range. Also, my
comments
> were largely with respect to build quality and having service the Pioneer
> sets extensively, I do not consider them to be particularly good in that
> regard. Over the past 20 years I have seen dozens of boards (rebuilt by
> Pioneer) come from Pioneer needing hundreds of solder joints redone.
Their
> insistence on selling certain parts only as part of larger assemblies
> (complete circuit boards) also leads me to eliminate them from
consideration
> with the other "big four". 10-20 years ago they Elite was a better
product
> than the others, easily. In recent years this is not so clear.
Personally,
> I'd have the high end Mits over the Elite with no second thoughts.
>
> Leonard

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:12:52 AM

I owned a Mits 55", which I sold with my home. It was excellent!
Great HD, perfect linearity. I will buy one again once my new
home is complete.

"Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Lankton" <mlankton@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> Need opinions on Silver Plus vs Gold Vs Gold Plus. I would preferably
>> like to receive hdtv content over cable without a set top hdtv tuner.
>> Will the integrated tuner in the Gold and Gold Plus models allow me to
>> get hdtv for OTA and digital cable without another box? If I pony up
>> for dish I assume I will have to use their equipment, this won't cause
>> a problem on a model with an integrated tuner will it?
>>
>> Lastly the Sony RPTV's have a nice image but I am suspect of their
>> product's build quality. Anyone wanting to throw in their two cents on
>> why they like Mits or Sony better will be appreciated. I am a total
>> rptv newbie.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Build quality should not be an issue between Mits and Sony, both among the
> best in this regard. I'd compare Hitachi and Toshiba generally in this
> regard also. The pix is better on the Gold Plus over the Silver. I
> personally like the Mits pix better than the Sony also. I service both
> brands as an ASC and other brands as well. Mits has the best customer
> support hands down, followed by Hitachi, then Sony and Toshiba.
>
> Leonard

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:24:47 AM

Well probably because I am trying to stay within the $2000-$2500 range. Just
trying to get the best rptv my budget will allow, or else I'd be going
straight to the Mitsubishi Diamond series.

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Strange no one mentioned the Pioneer Elite Series??
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:42:47 AM

> Need opinions on Silver Plus vs Gold Vs Gold Plus.

I've had a 55" Mits Silver Plus for about six weeks and I love it. I was
told by people who told me that they "know" that Mits and Hitachi are the
best.

> Will the integrated tuner in the Gold and Gold Plus models allow me to
> get hdtv for OTA and digital cable without another box?

The tuner in the Gold models is for OTA.

For cable, you need an HDTV box from your cable provider. That's the main
reason I decided not to get a built-in tuner.

My cable provider is Bright House and BH has a pretty good HDTV lineup in
comparison to most alternatives. I particularly like some of the channels
that I couldn't get OTA -- like Discovery HD, INHD and HDNet. Bright House
doesn't have ESPNHD yet, but I understand that it's coming before year end.

Bright House also doesn't have NBC HD. So, with the Olympics coming, a few
days ago I purchased a $200 OTA receiver from Wal-Mart and a $50 indoor HDTV
antenna from Radio Shack. Works like a charm. I now have NBC HD and some
other locals that BH doesn't carry.

If I had known when I bought my Mits that I would wind up buying an OTA HD
receiver, I might have gone with a Mits that has one built in. However, the
route I wound up going probably turned out to be a little less expensive.

One of the nice things about the Mits is that it has more digital inputs
than most -- 3 component inputs and a DVI. That allows for a lot of options.
I'm using all the inputs. I use the DVI from the cable box; one component
for DVD; one component for video games (games in 16x9 progressive mode are
great); and the last component for the new OTA HD receiver.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:32:15 AM

On 27 Jul 2004 08:33:45 -0700, mlankton@mchsi.com (Michael Lankton) wrote:

>Need opinions on Silver Plus vs Gold Vs Gold Plus. I would preferably
>like to receive hdtv content over cable without a set top hdtv tuner.
>Will the integrated tuner in the Gold and Gold Plus models allow me to
>get hdtv for OTA and digital cable without another box? If I pony up
>for dish I assume I will have to use their equipment, this won't cause
>a problem on a model with an integrated tuner will it?
>
>Lastly the Sony RPTV's have a nice image but I am suspect of their
>product's build quality. Anyone wanting to throw in their two cents on
>why they like Mits or Sony better will be appreciated. I am a total
>rptv newbie.
>
>Thanks in advance.

The Nov-Dec issue of The Perfect Vision featured an HDTV "Big Screen Shootout"
comparing 6 popular rear projectors, including the Sony KP-57WS510, Mits WS-65813
(Diamond series), and the Pioneer Elite Pro-530HD. Surprisingly, the more
affordable Sony came out on top, for the following reasons:

Best color and most linear grayscale out of the box (although TPV may have gotten
lucky with their sample).

Cleanest, most artifact-free TV watching, even with poor quality channels.

Natural, film-like edges on images that were very detailed and dimensional.

"Bounce test", testing high-voltage regulation of the power supply, showed Sony
rock solid, the Pio and Mits the worst.

Resolution (post-calibration): the Mits' 9" guns excelled at 1080i HD, the Pio had
the least resolution, with the Sony somewhere in the middle, but more "natural"
looking than other mid-contenders.

Each set had its pluses and minuses, but the Sony was generally more consistent,
regardless of the signal or input (component vs. DVI).

The article is a lengthy one, well worth reading if considering a rear-projector.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:41:23 AM

"DLH" <dlhNOSPAM0310@cox.net> wrote in message
> The Nov-Dec issue of The Perfect Vision featured an HDTV "Big Screen
Shootout"
> comparing 6 popular rear projectors, including the Sony KP-57WS510, Mits
WS-65813
> (Diamond series), and the Pioneer Elite Pro-530HD. Surprisingly, the more
> affordable Sony came out on top, for the following reasons:
>
> Best color and most linear grayscale out of the box (although TPV may have
gotten
> lucky with their sample).
>
> Cleanest, most artifact-free TV watching, even with poor quality channels.
>
> Natural, film-like edges on images that were very detailed and
dimensional.

> "Bounce test", testing high-voltage regulation of the power supply, showed
Sony
> rock solid, the Pio and Mits the worst.
>
> Resolution (post-calibration): the Mits' 9" guns excelled at 1080i HD, the
Pio had
> the least resolution, with the Sony somewhere in the middle, but more
"natural"
> looking than other mid-contenders.
>
> Each set had its pluses and minuses, but the Sony was generally more
consistent,
> regardless of the signal or input (component vs. DVI).
>
> The article is a lengthy one, well worth reading if considering a
rear-projector.

I read the article and was perplexed by the comparison of the Sony and the
Mitsubishi. We sell both and these are the two brands that I am most
familiar with and I see very different results in the field and in the shop.
Other than the better HV regulation, I have to disagree with the conclusion
that the Sony beats the Mitsubishi. In terms of forgiveness on lousy SD
signals, I'd actually rate the Sony lower than the Mits or the Pioneer.
This is a good example of why people should compare the sets for themselves
and make up their own mind. There are differences that can sometimes be
hard to quantify and objectify. This is particularly true when talking
about the problems associated with viewing poor analog sources on digital
displays.

Leonard
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:52:41 PM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:41:23 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote:

>"DLH" <dlhNOSPAM0310@cox.net> wrote in message
>> The Nov-Dec issue of The Perfect Vision featured an HDTV "Big Screen
>Shootout"
>> comparing 6 popular rear projectors, including the Sony KP-57WS510, Mits
>WS-65813
>> (Diamond series), and the Pioneer Elite Pro-530HD. Surprisingly, the more
>> affordable Sony came out on top, for the following reasons:
>>
>> Best color and most linear grayscale out of the box (although TPV may have
>gotten
>> lucky with their sample).
>>
>> Cleanest, most artifact-free TV watching, even with poor quality channels.
>>
>> Natural, film-like edges on images that were very detailed and
>dimensional.
>>
>> "Bounce test", testing high-voltage regulation of the power supply, showed
>Sony
>> rock solid, the Pio and Mits the worst.
>>
>> Resolution (post-calibration): the Mits' 9" guns excelled at 1080i HD, the
>Pio had
>> the least resolution, with the Sony somewhere in the middle, but more
>"natural"
>> looking than other mid-contenders.
>>
>> Each set had its pluses and minuses, but the Sony was generally more
>consistent,
>> regardless of the signal or input (component vs. DVI).
>>
>> The article is a lengthy one, well worth reading if considering a
>rear-projector.
>
>I read the article and was perplexed by the comparison of the Sony and the
>Mitsubishi. We sell both and these are the two brands that I am most
>familiar with and I see very different results in the field and in the shop.
>Other than the better HV regulation, I have to disagree with the conclusion
>that the Sony beats the Mitsubishi. In terms of forgiveness on lousy SD
>signals, I'd actually rate the Sony lower than the Mits or the Pioneer.
>This is a good example of why people should compare the sets for themselves
>and make up their own mind. There are differences that can sometimes be
>hard to quantify and objectify. This is particularly true when talking
>about the problems associated with viewing poor analog sources on digital
>displays.
>
>Leonard

Thanks for your input. I'm almost ready to purchase my first RP, and have decided
on CRT technology. I'm aware of the uneven phosphor burn potential, but it's a
very mature technology, and I'm looking for something in the $2500 (or less) price
range. I was at first WOWed by the brightness of RP DLPs and LCDs, but after
spending a LOT of time comparing displays in various showrooms, I don't think I
can live with the black levels of either, and the color wheels in the DLPs have
been troublesome, according to several forums.

To my eye, the Sony RP CRTs are impressive, especially at this price point. But,
I've yet to be able to compare the Sony and the Mits side by side. In your
opinion, can a Mits model at $2500 or below match (or best) the Sony? If I recall,
you're in Florida? Where exactly? I may be able to make a visit.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 7:39:03 PM

> [...]
it's a
> very mature technology, and I'm looking for something in the $2500 (or
less) price
> range. I was at first WOWed by the brightness of RP DLPs and LCDs, but
after
> spending a LOT of time comparing displays in various showrooms, I don't
think I
> can live with the black levels of either, and the color wheels in the DLPs
have
> been troublesome, according to several forums.
>
> To my eye, the Sony RP CRTs are impressive, especially at this price
point. But,
> I've yet to be able to compare the Sony and the Mits side by side. In your
> opinion, can a Mits model at $2500 or below match (or best) the Sony? If I
recall,
> you're in Florida? Where exactly? I may be able to make a visit.

IMO, the Mits is easily a better value in most regards. We have the Sony
but sell fewer of them than the Mits. We are in Gainesville. Where are
you?

Leoanrd
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:16:57 PM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:39:03 -0400, "Leonard G. Caillouet"
> [...]

>> range. I was at first WOWed by the brightness of RP DLPs and LCDs, but
>after
>> spending a LOT of time comparing displays in various showrooms, I don't
>think I
>> can live with the black levels of either, and the color wheels in the DLPs
>have
>> been troublesome, according to several forums.
>>
>> To my eye, the Sony RP CRTs are impressive, especially at this price
>point. But,
>> I've yet to be able to compare the Sony and the Mits side by side. In your
>> opinion, can a Mits model at $2500 or below match (or best) the Sony? If I
>recall,
>> you're in Florida? Where exactly? I may be able to make a visit.
>
>IMO, the Mits is easily a better value in most regards. We have the Sony
>but sell fewer of them than the Mits. We are in Gainesville. Where are

Unfortunately, far away - Pensacola. I may get down there several times this fall
though. If so, I'll stop by. From the 2005 info I've seen, I'd be interested in
either the WS-55515 or the WS-55615. Will they be on the floor by late August or
early September? Can't even find a 513 or 613 here at the moment - Mits has
apparently stopped shipping the 2004 models, and 2005's are like hen's teeth.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:08:24 AM

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:39:03 -0400, "Leonard G. Caillouet"
> <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote:
>

> >"DLH" <dlhNOSPAM0310@cox.net> wrote in message

> >Mits
> >more

> >have

> >channels.

> >showed

HD,
> >the

> >the
> >shop.
> >conclusion
SD
Pioneer.
> >themselves

> >> Thanks for your input. I'm almost ready to purchase my first RP, and
have
> >decided
> >> on CRT technology. I'm aware of the uneven phosphor burn potential, but
> >it's a
> >> very mature technology, and I'm looking for something in the $2500 (or
> >less) price
> >> range. I was at first WOWed by the brightness of RP DLPs and LCDs, but
> >after
> >> spending a LOT of time comparing displays in various showrooms, I don't
> >think I
> >> can live with the black levels of either, and the color wheels in the
DLPs
> >have
> >> been troublesome, according to several forums.
> >>
> >> To my eye, the Sony RP CRTs are impressive, especially at this price
> >point. But,
> >> I've yet to be able to compare the Sony and the Mits side by side. In
your
> >> opinion, can a Mits model at $2500 or below match (or best) the Sony?
If I
> >recall,
> >> you're in Florida? Where exactly? I may be able to make a visit.
> >
> >IMO, the Mits is easily a better value in most regards. We have the Sony
> >but sell fewer of them than the Mits. We are in Gainesville. Where are
> >you?
> >
> >Leoanrd
> >

> Unfortunately, far away - Pensacola. I may get down there several times
this fall
> though. If so, I'll stop by. From the 2005 info I've seen, I'd be
interested in
> either the WS-55515 or the WS-55615. Will they be on the floor by late
August or
> early September? Can't even find a 513 or 613 here at the moment - Mits
has
> apparently stopped shipping the 2004 models, and 2005's are like hen's
teeth.

I don't keep up with the details of the new models and inventories as I stay
busy in the shop. I hesitate to make such predictions anyway. With Mits
trying to crank out the new DLP sets, it would not surprise me if the
inventories on the CRT based products are low for a while.

Leonard
!