x-fi sound blaster sound card
creative 5.1 digital 5700 speakers
500W PSU

any comments appreciated
thanx.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I don't think it as a problem, just a #### netburst architecture. I've seen this a lot on netburst based processors, as I guessed to have a similar problem at the time. Seems most if not all single or dual core processors, even 32 bit ones are like that :)

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
If you're in a northern state or Canada, you can buy a block heater from Pep Boys or Crappy Tire. It uses up a lot of 110V, but it will keep your CPU nice and warm. :lol:

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
OMG that means if I leave my computer outside in the winter and it's in sleep mode it could freeze. If I sleep I get cooler than if I am working so we could be on the cusp of a great discovery here.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Actually I've often wondered about things like that. Yes, I know I'm weird, you don't have to tell me. :lol:

But this all started many years ago when I went to a friend's cottage in Northern Ontario. He generated his own electricity so he had to be frugal with it. So he had a little tiny bar fridge and then a big huge old fridge that had a hole cut in the back and a screened trap door affair to the outside. He had actually taken the compressor, coils, etc. right out.

He explained that the external temperature is above fridge level so few days of the year that he would just adjust the trap door according to the external temp and the fridge would stay nice and cold on no juice! On the few really hot days, he'd take things like milk and other perishables and put them into the tiny fridge and power that.

All that to get to this point. When it's -10 outside, does it make sense to heat a house just to cool the CPU within it? Some sort of similar arrangement (baffled/filtered to keep snow and bugs out) in the northern states and Canada could work quite well!!!

mpjesse

Splendid
I live in Los Alamos, NM. It's not uncommon for temps to reach -5F in the winter. The average low in the winter is about 15F.... anyways I've always wanted to build an air duct that attaches to my computer's intake fan. The humidity is usually between 0 and 10% here so i don't have to worry about condensation so much. Even when it snows the humidity is really low.

One day I'll get around to it... my computer is really close to my window so it wouldn't be difficult to do. The only problem, of course, is summer. Temps get into the 100's in the summer. Dunno what i'd do then.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
CaptRobertApril,

You are definitely going to need a filter on there just to keep the snow out. Could you imagine trying to get snow out of your CPU fan. You may want to conformal coat you motherboard too in case a little snow gets in and melts on one of the heatsinks.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
@ mpjesse

In the desert states you really don't have any option but air conditioning most of the year. But it does get chilly in NM, so if you do the duct thing it might really work for you. Make sure that you have a well-weatherstripped door on the duct for those nice toasty days when your CPU bakes and bakes. I have a somewhat similar problem. I have my case in a stairwell that gets well over 40C in the summertime and all the cabling running through a small hole in the wall to my room which is fully air conditioned. There is no way to AC the stairwell without spending $20,000, and I can't bring the case into the room because it doubles as a media room and no matter how silent I make it, it's not gonna be silent enough!

@ SSS DDK

Computers in fridges have been discussed at length in the Cooling and Heatsinks section. It turns out that there is no way to keep the condensation off the motherboard and then SSSSSSPARK!

@ BaldEagle

Can you imagine having a system like that in somewhere like Oswego NY where you get 15 feet of snow? You'd have to dig out your CPU with a shovel! :lol:

holy_cow

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
OMG that means if I leave my computer outside in the winter and it's in sleep mode it could freeze. If I sleep I get cooler than if I am working so we could be on the cusp of a great discovery here.

Don't try it!!!

You cpu will catch a cold then its virus will spread to internet and we
all be doomed with sneezing and coughing cpus everywhere!

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Don't worry it's normal.
Imagine running 5 miles/running you get warm.
You lay down in the shade go to sleep you cool down.
Same thing.
It's idle in sleep therefore doesn't put off nearly as much heat.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
after putting it to sleep mode it shows 28C 8O
that's your answer for why it dropped 17c

chunkymonster
8O Did you notice it was a P4 they run hot enough to keep your coffee hot so 17C is nothing it probably tops out around 65C under full load not just booting windows. There is a reason they called it Netbust :lol: .

Will14

Man you must be really great shape if you run 5 miles and only get warm I would be sweating like a pig after the first or at the most the second mile then probably cool way down after the fourth mile when the paramedics put me in to the ambulance after using the AEDto revive me. Booting windows is more like running to the end of the block not some 5 mile torture test.[/b]

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

Don't try it!!!

You cpu will catch a cold then its virus will spread to internet and we
all be doomed with sneezing and coughing cpus everywhere!

That must be what happened to my old machine with Windows ME it caught polio and just froze up when I left the window open overnight. Just BSOD all the time finally had to wipe the virus clean with Windows XP.