dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
currently, I'm running an Athlon 64 3800+, on the AM2 platform. I'd like to upgrade before I go off to college, but im not certain what I should do. should I upgrade to somthing like a 5600+, wait for K8L, or defect to Intel? I'm pretty sure that the AM2 plaform was a bad desision, but it was my first build, and i couldn't wait to upgrade from my 1.3 duron. im also looking to replace my video card, and buy more memory, so im basically replacing/upgrading most of my core components.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
currently, I'm running an Athlon 64 3800+, on the AM2 platform. I'd like to upgrade before I go off to college, but im not certain what I should do. should I upgrade to somthing like a 5600+, wait for K8L, or defect to Intel? I'm pretty sure that the AM2 plaform was a bad desision, but it was my first build, and i couldn't wait to upgrade from my 1.3 duron. im also looking to replace my video card, and buy more memory, so im basically replacing/upgrading most of my core components.

The AM2 really wasnt a bad choice. K8 beat intel for a long time before C2D was released. Dont get taken in by the "AMD suckz" BS. C2D is a superior Uarch, but it is a 'generational' advance. Its not superior due to any failing on the part of the AM2, its just newer tech.

Since you didnt mention overclocking, I assume your not going to. If thats the case, going to a 5600 (asuming the mobo suports it) vs building an entirely new system will save you some money you could invest in the video card. If you are going to overclock, the dynamic changes, and you would be better off buying a E6400 and good mobo

I wouldnt bother waiting for the DT of barcelona, prices have been dropping significantly the past qaurter, and are going to drop a little more, but they are bound to hit bottem sooner or later. So the next few months are a good time to buy a CPU. Ram and video cards are a different story. I would hold off on the video card until ATI drops its DX 10 entry in the market. As for the RAM, you can play the waiting game as long as you want...Ive seen nothing to indicate any decrease in prices is coming soon.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It would be a shame to switch platforms, as yours(obviously...AM2) is still relatively new. I wouldn't suggest going any higher than a 5200+ though, as the prices start escalating when you go higher. GL :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Considering what you were upgrading from the first time, I'd say don't upgrade anything :) If it is necessary, the necessity will show you what to upgrade, but you have a very good machine for anything you like right now, maybe not at the top quality on some games but at a very good (not simply decent) range on everything. If you upgrade now, by the time you might really need something, your upgrade would cost so much less, or you might get twice the performance, maybe from a brand new computer, for the same amount of money. But hey, that's just my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS