  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2004 6:05:02 AM

I have a folder JDK1.4, I want all users (expect Administrator) cant rename
the folder but they can Read, Write & delete own files & folders. Which
permissions will I set on this folder? DO you have any idea?
I am using NTFS file system on W2K Profession with SP4.
--
I like Microsoft Newsgroups, Which provides to help me.

Thanks to
Microsoft

More about : user rename folder

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2004 6:52:27 PM

You should be able to do that with special permissions if I understand you
correctly. On the main security page for the folder give the users
read/list/execute/write permissions. Then go into advanced permissions and
add the user/group again, select subfolder and files in the apply onto box,
and select the desired allow permissions which probably is everything but
change permissions and take ownership. --- Steve

"Asif Razzaq Attari" <AsifRazzaqAttari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:99FF2BA3-28DC-4149-863C-684CD5C57C8C@microsoft.com...
>I have a folder JDK1.4, I want all users (expect Administrator) cant rename
> the folder but they can Read, Write & delete own files & folders. Which
> permissions will I set on this folder? DO you have any idea?
> I am using NTFS file system on W2K Profession with SP4.
> --
> I like Microsoft Newsgroups, Which provides to help me.
>
> Thanks to
> Microsoft
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2004 11:21:02 PM

I am confusing about which you wrote. Please define me in easy way
(Step-by-Step).
Thanks.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> You should be able to do that with special permissions if I understand you
> correctly. On the main security page for the folder give the users
> read/list/execute/write permissions. Then go into advanced permissions and
> add the user/group again, select subfolder and files in the apply onto box,
> and select the desired allow permissions which probably is everything but
> change permissions and take ownership. --- Steve
>

> "Asif Razzaq Attari" <AsifRazzaqAttari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:99FF2BA3-28DC-4149-863C-684CD5C57C8C@microsoft.com...
> >I have a folder JDK1.4, I want all users (expect Administrator) cant rename
> > the folder but they can Read, Write & delete own files & folders. Which
> > permissions will I set on this folder? DO you have any idea?
> > I am using NTFS file system on W2K Profession with SP4.
> > --
> > I like Microsoft Newsgroups, Which provides to help me.
> >
> > Thanks to
> > Microsoft

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 17, 2004 9:57:17 AM

For your folder properties for JDK1.4 find the security page and give your
group read/list/execute/write permissions. The select the advanced page of
the security page. This is where special permissions are configured. Select
add, and then browse to your group. Then in the "apply onto" box select
subfolders and files and then for allow select all permissions other than
full control, change permissions, and take ownership. Then select OK. Users
should now be able to write subfolders and files to your folder but not be
able to delete or rename [I think] your main folder. I believe that users
need modify/delete permissions to rename a folder but be sure to test that
out.

However all users in the Group will be able to delete all subfolders/files
in the folder JDK1.4 . If that is not acceptable you will have to not add
your group to special permissions but instead use "creator owner" for those
same special permissions. Note that if you do such, users will only be able
to modify their own files but will be able to access all files to
read/execute. The link below explains special permissions more. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419 -- works
mostly the same for w2K.

"Asif Razzaq Attari" <AsifRazzaqAttari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:853EC3B3-540C-4777-813E-F2A607932651@microsoft.com...