[PW!] Blue On Blue In The Blue

"I'm telling you, your senses are on the fritz!" Jason tossed another
pokeball at the shiny unown, only for it to spin 180 degrees and blast
the ball to pieces, like it had the last five.

"And I'm telling you," Sai replied, "the shiny unown isn't here!
Whatever that is, it has to be a fake!"

"Look, even if it isn't THE shiny unown, it's A shiny unown. One shiny
unown's as good as another, right?"

"Actually, it's the W shiny unown." Sai shook her ghostly head. "Grr,
there aren't supposed to BE extra shiny unown. Twenty six, one for each
letter."

"Hey, unown come from somewhere, don't they?" Jason reasoned. "So,
maybe some time over the centuries, more shiny unown were born."

"Perhaps...no! There can only be twenty six! People can't come along
and mess up thousand year old mystical situations. It's just not done!"

"Whatever." Jason watched a seventh pokeball join its predecessors.
"At this point, I'd just like to know what's up with this pokemon. It
just dodged all my pokemons' attacks until they were exhausted, without
even trying to counterattack. It's like it doesn't want to fight, and
whoever heard of a pokemon like that?"

"Well...legends do say that, occasionally, there comes a pokemon too
cowardly to engage in honorable combat. But those are just legends, I'm
sure."

Suddenly, the unown dashed through a nearby wall of trees. Jason and
Sai gave chase, but before they could catch up, a helicopter rose from
behind the wall and started drifting towards them.

Jason noticed Sai gritting her ghostly teeth and straining. "You okay?"

"It is difficult not to let this much wind blow me away, but I have
faced worse." She looked at Jason with slitted eyes. "You actually
care about me?"

"Not really. Just making sure whatever you're suffering won't hurt me."

"Right. For a moment I forgot who I was dealing with."

The helicopter moved closer, soon stopping directly above and lowering a
ladder. There was some kind of blue symbol on its side, but neither of
those on the ground could read it from their current angle.

Jason and Sai braced for incoming hostiles.

A treecko idly watched beautifly and dustox sail by.

A seedot found herself airborne and upside down, sailing far across the
forest.

A zigzagoon wondered as some grass adopted the same blown-back look as
his fur.

"HUNTING UNOWN. WANT HELP?" boomed a voice from the machine above.

Jason and Sai looked at each other. Jason shrugged. "Eh, worth a
shot." He began climbing the ladder.

"Jason, wait!" Sai struggled to keep up with him. "There's an unown in
that city over there! I can feel it!" Her protests were in vain, as
the climb was short. Within a minute, its passengers aboard, the
vehicle soared off towards the fleet of similar helicopters it had
imitated one of, intending to meld in and follow them to their base.

"Is it just me," Jason wondered as the ladder retracted - was it just
him, or was the winch quietly giggling? - and the door closed firmly,
"or is there no one here? This thing must be on autopilot."

"You fool!" Sai bellowed, slightly grateful that the wind did not reach
inside this metal flying contraption. "This is a trap!"

"Mist Five to unknown bogey with Team Aqua markings," crackled the
speaker. "Please identify yourself, over."

TBC?

>"HUNTING UNOWN. WANT HELP?" boomed a voice from the machine above.
>
>Jason and Sai looked at each other. Jason shrugged. "Eh, worth a
>shot." He began climbing the ladder.
>
>"Jason, wait!" Sai struggled to keep up with him. "There's an unown in
>that city over there! I can feel it!" Her protests were in vain, as
>the climb was short. Within a minute, its passengers aboard, the
>vehicle soared off towards the fleet of similar helicopters it had
>imitated one of, intending to meld in and follow them to their base.
>
>"Is it just me," Jason wondered as the ladder retracted - was it just
>him, or was the winch quietly giggling? - and the door closed firmly,
>"or is there no one here? This thing must be on autopilot."
>
>"You fool!" Sai bellowed, slightly grateful that the wind did not reach
>inside this metal flying contraption. "This is a trap!"
>
>"Mist Five to unknown bogey with Team Aqua markings," crackled the
>speaker. "Please identify yourself, over."

Jason and Meilan both blanched upon hearing that.

"Well?" Meilan asked.

"Well what?" Jason replied.

"This was your bright idea," Meilan noted.

"Mist Five to unknown bogey, I repeat," the speaker crackled again.
"Identify yourself now or you will be shot down, over."

#Send out member of team,# a telepathic voice urged.

Jason shrugged, and plucked one Poké Ball from his belt. The Sableye who
exited it looked around curiously, uncertain of his surroundings. A flashing
text message on a nearby screen quickly caught his attention, and the small
ghostly Dark-type rushed to the radio and quickly picked it up.

"Sabe eye, eye sabe sable eye," Sableye quickly explained. "Sable eye sabe
eye sable sableye sable. Sabe eye sabe eye sable."

After an uneasy silence, the speaker crackled again. "Roger that, Viking
One, see you at home base. Over and out."

With a clear sigh of relief, Meilan moved towards Sableye. "A most
exceptional job, Sableye."

"Sabe sable eye sabe," Sableye noted.

"Not only you?" Meilan asked. "But that's impossible...unless this isn't a
helicopter..."

"What do you mean?" Jason asked. "What else could it be?"

A screen near him flashed to life as text began to flash on the screen.
"Could be Ditto."

"As if a Ditto has that much power," Jason noted.

Text flashed again. "Explain ghostly accomplice, then."

Jason gave a brief glance over towards the ghostly Sai Meilan. Her normal
form of a Duskull seemed to have shrunken a bit, and now rested within the
chest of a ghostly human form, clearly feminine and in Chinese dress.

Meilan herself quickly noticed the change, and seemed to stare at her
ghostly fingers in surprise. A smile beginning to cross her face, she said in
shock, "I didn't even think this possible..."

"Good for you, you have fingers again," Jason noted. "It not like you can
hold anything."

THWACK!

"Explain paper fan," a voice toned from the helicopter's speakers.

Meilan smiled, then rubbed her own head, the residual pain due to the
Destiny Bond coursing back through her. "Now, since we obviously cannot do
anything else, would you be kind enough to set us down in the area of Lavaridge
Town? We have some business to take care of."

TBC

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points

William Rendfeld wrote:
> THWACK!
>
> "Explain paper fan," a voice toned from the helicopter's speakers.
>
> Meilan smiled, then rubbed her own head, the residual pain due to the
> Destiny Bond coursing back through her. "Now, since we obviously cannot do
> anything else, would you be kind enough to set us down in the area of Lavaridge
> Town? We have some business to take care of."

"No," the speakers sounded again, stabilizing on a high-pitched voice as
if years out of practice at speaking. "Pursuing Team Aqua helicopters.
Will let off when reach destination."

"Set us down," Meilan patiently explained, "or we'll shoot you so full
of holes you'll crash!"

"Mimic just transform. Maybe ghost keep flying, but partner probably
no."

Jason sweatdropped. "Umm, you know, he's got a point. It'd be kind of
painful for both of us."

"Hmph!" Meilan crossed her arms. "Very well."

"While flying," Mimic queried, "perhaps care share info shiny unown?"

"AHA! So this WAS a trap to get us away from our prey!"

"If want call that. Technically accurate."

"You'll never get us to talk!"

Mimic would have shrugged had he had shoulders at the moment. "Suit
self. Mimic just curious, fellow shiny unown hunters ever feel shiny
unown take over?"

"What are you babbling about?"

"Mimic used have many shiny unown. No longer - gave away. Had give
away. Too many at once, Mimic no longer in control."

Meilan frowned. "Don't listen to him, Jason. He's trying to plant lies
to discourage you!"

"Believe or not, your choice. Mimic just saying what-"

"Much as I hate to admit it," Jason interrupted, "she has a point. All
we know for sure is that you're after the same thing we're after, and
you're not willing to work with us. Maybe we can't afford to shoot that
much of you, but we can blow away your speakers. In fact, maybe we
should, just to pay you back for this."

"...alright, fine," Mimic eventually relented. "But do have one thing."

"No!"

"Pretty sure want hear it."

"We do not. Sableye!" Jason pointed to the speakers.

"Sable!" A few Shadow Balls...

"Lavaridge-"

....and one word later, the speakers were wrecked.

"Wait!" Meilan flew towards the speakers, but too late. She did,
however, see some text on a screen.

"Lavaridge approaching. Mimic no think Aqua base be near volcano, but
no matter. Will set down outside. Human, ghost on own from there, but
Mimic suspect fastest path Lavaridge through base."

"I see." Meilan smiled. "And you would just happen to use our
distraction to infiltrate the base? My, but it's a pity we could not
work together. Are you sure you don't want to join us?"

"Hey!" Jason objected. "It's bad enough I have to hang around with you.
I don't need any more 'allies'."

"And Mimic hear enough suspect no would work out. Ghost right, is pity.
Perhaps could work together something else afterwards, if none us wind
up gaining unown power," the screen concurred.

"Perhaps," Meilan mused. "But at least let us introduce ourselves. My
name is Sai Meilan, and my ill-tempered companion is Jason Cassidy."

"Mimic is Mimic," the screen replied. "Hello, must be going."

One red flash later, Meilan, Jason, and Jason's sableye found themselves
on a helipad on the surface of a volcano. With a rumble, the helipad
began to descend. Jason eyed the edge, quickly judging if he could jump
to the surface and go down the outside of the volcano just to spite this
Mimic...

---

Several floors below, several Team Aqua grunts marched at gunpoint ahead
of their Team Magma captors as the helicopters' temporary paint jobs
were removed. "Don't worry," one of the guards called out, "if your
bosses are smart this won't take long. In case you're wondering, you're
to be used in a prisoner exchange: all of you, for just one Regirock."

TBC?

>"Perhaps," Meilan mused. "But at least let us introduce ourselves. My
>name is Sai Meilan, and my ill-tempered companion is Jason Cassidy."
>
>"Mimic is Mimic," the screen replied. "Hello, must be going."
>
>One red flash later, Meilan, Jason, and Jason's sableye found themselves
>on a helipad on the surface of a volcano. With a rumble, the helipad
>began to descend. Jason eyed the edge, quickly judging if he could jump
>to the surface and go down the outside of the volcano just to spite this
>Mimic...

...and decided against it. Spite was one thing, but physical pain was
another.

As the trio silently waited for the helipad to complete its decent, Meilan
shifted back into her more stable Duskull form.

"Something wrong with you?" Jason asked.

"I am merely thinking about something," Meilan noted. "The last time that I
participated in the quest for Shiny Unown, I was a latecomer, and did not have
much time to gather many Shiny Unown, only one, in fact. Perhaps Mimic was
correct about the Shiny Unown taking control of him."

"That's ridiculous," Jason spat. "How do we know he wasn't lying?"

"How do we know he wasn't telling the truth?" Meilan asked. "I do not like
the possibility, but we have no evidence to support the alternative."

"Sable," Sableye noted with a nod.

Jason growled. "So what do we do with the things once we find them to keep
them from controlling us, if they can?"

"Somehow get back to the Ruins of Alph and deposit them there," Meilan
replied. "It will be the only way to make certain, and we will confirm our
captures with the Unown Collective."

Jason smiled. "That actually sounds reasonable."

At that point, the helipad reached its destination, artificial lighting more
than making up for the lack of natural light. Noticing an emblem on the wall
informed them that this was indeed a Magma base rather than an Aqua base.

"Team Magma?" Meilan asked aloud. "This does not sound inviting."

"It won't be a problem," Jason noted. "I can take them all."

"Subterfuge is a wiser course of action, I think," Meilan noted. "Sableye,
would you be kind enough to find us a map?"

"Sabe," the Ghostly Dark-type acknowledged, skittering off towards a
console. He quickly found a map of the base, pointed to one of the exits, and
said, "Sabe eye ble sabe eye!"

"Wonderful," Meilan noted. "Then let us make haste."

TBC

[NS: Sorry this took so long. Real Life's been hitting hard lately.]

William Rendfeld wrote:
> [NS: Sorry this took so long. Real Life's been hitting hard lately.]

[NS: I hear that.]

> "Subterfuge is a wiser course of action, I think," Meilan noted. "Sableye,
> would you be kind enough to find us a map?"
>
> "Sabe," the Ghostly Dark-type acknowledged, skittering off towards a
> console. He quickly found a map of the base, pointed to one of the exits, and
> said, "Sabe eye ble sabe eye!"
>
> "Wonderful," Meilan noted. "Then let us make haste."

No sooner had Jason set foot across the doorway than an alarm sounded.
"Subterfuge, huh?"

"I doubt they are on to us," Meilan replied, quickening her flight to
encourage her companions to hurry up. "If they were, we would have been
greeted by guards."

"Come to think of it," Jason pondered as he broke into a run, "that does
sound like a..."

"Fire drill," came a voice from ahead, causing all three to quickly
stop. "I thought us Magmas weren't supposed to be afraid of fire?"

"Flame is a useful tool," another voice added. Two men in red lab coats
walked into view around a corner ahead, heading towards the same exit
Jason and company had intended to use. "But it can burn us just as well
as anyone else. Remember, safety first. Making more land to live on is
useless if you're not there to live on it."

The intruding trio stayed very quiet, an easier task for the ghosts than
for Jason. Just as the scientists were leaving, Sableye motioned to the
corridor they had come from. Meilan nodded and headed that way, with
Jason soon pursuing.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jason quietly hissed. "We're trying
to get out of here!"

"If everyone is heading to the exits," Meilan equally quietly whispered,
"then the exits are the last place we wish to be. Besides, the base is
now temporarily abandoned. Your pokemon seems to have found some
interesting loot on the map."

"I'll believe that when I see-" His jaw slowly dropped.

"Well, well. A large exit with no one around. Let us get going!"

"This is a hangar bay," Jason corrected, "and THIS...I didn't know they
had these outside Orre." He walked up to a gleaming plastic and metal
contraption.

"Whatever it is," Meilan sniffed, "it looks too big to move. Unless it
can help us escape, we should leave it."

Jason straddled the device, running his fingers over its controls.
"They must have just gotten it. The odometer's at zero. They even left
the key in!" Twisting said control, he grinned in anticipation as it
slowly levitated a half meter off the ground and, apparently in
automatic response, the hangar doors began to open.

Giving up on immediate escape, Meilan queried, "What is it?"

"It's a hoverbike. And it's mine! Sableye, return!" One pokeball
stowage later, he called to Meilan, "Hope you can keep up," and floored
the accelerator.

Only after they were gone did another sableye emerge from the hangar bay
door control panel, look down at the Magmas watching their presumably
very expensive merchandise depart, and drift off towards where Mimic
hoped the Aquas had been taken.

TBC?

>"Well, well. A large exit with no one around. Let us get going!"
>
>"This is a hangar bay," Jason corrected, "and THIS...I didn't know they
>had these outside Orre." He walked up to a gleaming plastic and metal
>contraption.
>
>"Whatever it is," Meilan sniffed, "it looks too big to move. Unless it
>can help us escape, we should leave it."
>
>Jason straddled the device, running his fingers over its controls.
>"They must have just gotten it. The odometer's at zero. They even left
>the key in!" Twisting said control, he grinned in anticipation as it
>slowly levitated a half meter off the ground and, apparently in
>automatic response, the hangar doors began to open.
>
>Giving up on immediate escape, Meilan queried, "What is it?"
>
>"It's a hoverbike. And it's mine! Sableye, return!" One pokeball
>stowage later, he called to Meilan, "Hope you can keep up," and floored
>the accelerator.
>
>Only after they were gone did another sableye emerge from the hangar bay
>door control panel, look down at the Magmas watching their presumably
>very expensive merchandise depart, and drift off towards where Mimic
>hoped the Aquas had been taken.

Had Jason and Meilan been paying attention as they made their escape, they
would have noticed another individual quickly dashing into the slowly closing
hangar door. As he ducked and rolled underneath the slowly falling door, Leif
said to himself, "I'm too old for this."

Those words caught Mimic's attention, and the shapeshifter quickly drifted
back to the new arrival as he quickly went into hiding. "Why you here?"

Leif looked warily towards the Sableye and countered, "I could ask the same
of you."

"Asked first," the Sableye quickly replied, accenting his point with a
raised claw.

Leif smirked, then replied, "I'm here on a rescue mission. Several of my
people are trapped in here, and I plan on getting them out safely."

"You Aqua then," Mimic noted. "Not smart coming alone."

"Less risk for others," Leif replied. "Besides, it's my fault that they're
trapped here, and I fully intend to make sure they're freed."

Mimic considered his words, then replied, "Probably better if have help.
Want it?"

"I can use it," Leif replied, extending a hand. "Leif Heinrik, Aqua Admin."

"Mimic is Mimic," the Ditto responded in turn.

-

As Jason and Meilan zoomed away on the hoverbike, the latter, now safely
within the bike's sidecar, said, "You must wonder just why that Ditto was
interested in the Magma base."

"I don't know, and I don't care," Jason replied. "I just want to get to
Lavaridge before something else happens."

TBC?

[NS: Considering Leif's an NPC, I should probably duck out of the thread from
here. Do whatever you want with him, Adrian, but please don't kill him. I don't
want Sven and Peabody losing their boss quite yet.]

William Rendfeld wrote:
> Leif smirked, then replied, "I'm here on a rescue mission. Several of my
> people are trapped in here, and I plan on getting them out safely."
>
> "You Aqua then," Mimic noted. "Not smart coming alone."
>
> "Less risk for others," Leif replied. "Besides, it's my fault that they're
> trapped here, and I fully intend to make sure they're freed."
>
> Mimic considered his words, then replied, "Probably better if have help.
> Want it?"
>
> "I can use it," Leif replied, extending a hand. "Leif Heinrik, Aqua Admin."
>
> "Mimic is Mimic," the Ditto responded in turn.

"Did you see where they keep the prisoners?"

The sableye-ditto shrugged. "Sorry. Was just about look. Magmas
realize were tricked, will return soon. Should probably get into
ventilation ducts before then."

Leif looked at him as if he were crazy. "Are you CRAZY? That's where
they put the security systems! So do we. You'd be surprised how many
amateurs try things out of the movies without thinking we watch the same
movies."

Mimic smiled sheepishly. "Apologies. Remembering Rocket training."

"You mean Team Rocket? Like I said, amateurs," Leif sniffed. "You're
not with them, I hope."

"No any more, and NEVER by choice." Both eyes glowed a dazzling red,
brilliant enough to force Leif to look away.

"Right. Glad to hear it." The Aqua executive studied an emergency
evacuation map posted on the wall, and pointed to a few spots. "Hmm.
If I know my Magma bases, this is the detention area, and if we go
this way we should be to stay away from the Magmas coming back in, if
we hurry."

Leif had not noticed the red glow change nature, but there was now an
abra waddling up to him. "Just point way. Oh, and pick up?"

He blinked, then cradled Mimic in his arms. "If you're asking for a
cuddle, this isn't the time."

"Mimic just getting little tired. Besides, is easier teleport other
when very close other's center gravity."

---

Thirteen seconds later, the rapid series of teleports ended when the duo
materialized inside a large jail cell full of tense Aqua agents.

The abra was breathing hard. "That took more out Mimic than Mimic
expect. But at least Leif guess correct location."

"Looks like," the man agreed. "Let's go back one so we can open the
doors and get everyone out."

"Magmas detect that." The pokemon breathed deeply. "Mimic think up for
one last mass teleport. Maybe dangerous, but safer than raising alarm.
Everyone grab on."

Leif began to ask, but his professionalism held his tongue. Raising
his hand, he addressed the grunts. "Alright, you heard him! Everyone
grab on, quickly! We're getting out of here."

Mimic's blaze of energy once they had joined hands was not nearly the
smooth, quick flash of before. His aura flared out, losing its rounded
surface near the edges, disentigrating instead into fractal tendrils of
lightning. He concentrated, slowly bending these tendrils to encompass
each of the people he was trying to evacuate, until he could no longer
hold the teleport off. As it was, bits of pant legs and bandana ends
fell to the floor, severed from their owners; one of the female grunts
lost half her right pinky's nail, while another lost just enough skin
from her knuckles that she immediately clasped her hands together to
stop the bleeding. "Sorry! Mimicsorryreallyreallynowanthurt-"

Leif clapped one hand over Mimic's mouth. "Save it. She'll be okay
*if* we get out of here." Once the fake abra stopped struggling, Leif
slowly removed his hand. "Got any more tricks?"

"No. Need rest. Hard just keep form right now."

"That's okay." Hefting Mimic onto his shoulder, Leif reassured, "You
just go to sleep now. Even without what that Pokemon Resistance stole
from us, we've still got more than enough pokemon to fight our way out."

"Mimic...sorry..." And then unconsciousness overtook him.

---

He awoke to the sight of the injured grunt, now with bandaged knuckles,
tending to some medical monitors in what he could only assume was an
Aqua base.

She looked up, alerted by her equipment. "Oh! You're awake. Mimic,
was it?"

"That name. Umm...Mimic really sorry about-"

"Don't apologize." She grinned, hugging him tight. "Oh, man, that was
the COOLEST fight I've ever been in! I wish you'd stayed awake just so
you could've SEEN it! I mean, when Leif got the drop on that Magma
guard...oh, and then when my Sharpedo...no, the best part was when we
dropped that Wailord on 'em! I don't think I've EVER seen anyone so
surprised! One of the others is trying to hack into their network just
so we can watch the security camera videos!" She laughed freely, her
joy intensifying her embrace. "And Leif says we've got you to thank for
making it possible!" The girl pecked Mimic on the cheek. "Not to
mention busting us out of there."

"Umm...welcome?"

She continued to hug Mimic for a bit, then set him down. "So, the boss
wanted to ask if you were there 'cause you wanted to be an Aqua agent,
or what? I mean, if you want in, you've got it!"

"No...that is, Mimic flattered, but Mimic mainly see bunch people
kidnapped and want set things right. Though, Mimic curious...hear
something about Pokemon Resistance? You tangled with them?"

"Oh, them?" The grunt rolled her eyes. "Wannabes. Word is, Doppler's
trying to set up in Hoenn something like what failed in Kanto."

"Doppler?" Mimic's eyes narrowed. "Doppler gave up that life."

She shrugged. "I just know what I've heard. Maybe it's some ditto
calling himself Doppler. I mean, I heard even in Kanto that there were
at least two or three different 'Doppler's, one after another. Why, you
know him?"

"Could say that. Mimic get warning about fake helicopters. Thought
sounded familiar. Also say something about...Regirock?"

Where the cheerful girl was, was now a stone cold professional with a
gun pointed at him. "If it's any condolence," she uttered in a
perfectly neutral voice, "I wish we could have kept up the charade. We
know who you are. The bullets in this gun contain a perfect replica of
the toxin that killed your brother the first time. Your friend, Bob,
received programming from the Magmas, which we are attempting to remove
as I speak. We need to be sure you received no such programming - and
even if not, you remain a bargaining chip in case his programming takes
over: one last hope to bring him out of it."

Mimic blinked. "Charade?"

Her shoulders slumped. "Is that all you heard?"

"Umm...Mimic wonder if could get another hug?"

She smirked, ever so slightly. "Nice try. But you could just inject me
with stun spores. That's not a risk we can take."

TBC?