Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which one should i choose?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 17, 2007 8:07:17 AM

I have a 7950gx2 card and a 19' monitor @ 1440x900, and i want to upgrade.

ok, before u start hammering me saying that i don't need an upgrade consider this:

1) I can sell my card for 500$.
2) I won't be upgrading for a loooooooooong time (the card b4 this was a mx 440) maybe for another 3 years.
3) I'm waiting for many DX10 games.
4) I'm a hardcore gamer (I play any game i get my hands on) and would appreciate playing games on max IQ.

So now i'm waiting for the 89xx to come out. the options i'm looking at are the 8900GTS/GTX, or the 8950GX2. I kind of favor the 8950gx2 cuz of my experience with it's predecessor,but i'm afraid that games won't support SLI

so, which one should i choose?

Any feedback is welcome.

More about : choose

February 17, 2007 8:16:41 AM

i doubt you would get 500 dollars


All the same just wait for ati to launch its line of dx10 cards 8)
February 17, 2007 8:29:00 AM

:)  , trust me on this one, i will get 500$.

I'm waiting for the r600 but i favor the green camp.

I'm hoping a real war would commence between Red & Green, a Price war :D 
Related resources
February 17, 2007 12:28:43 PM

I say wait, but no one sane will buy a 7950GX2 for $500....

If you want it to last longest, wait for R600 and 8900s.
February 17, 2007 5:41:01 PM

Not going argue with you, if you can get that kind of cash for that card congratulations. The 8800GTX is a great card, I am sure the 8900 will probably be better but no exact date when we will be able to get our paws on one. I am open minded about the R600 but have my concerns at this time. The pics that have I have seen, from what has leaked (not sure if its legit or not) the card is around 12" long. It also has a six pin and an eight pin power connector. These two factors could pose a real problem for many systems. My biggest concern is timing, Nvidia has had their new cards out and have been troubleshooting the issues (as numerous as they are) and seem to be making progress. I am not sure I want to wait for ATI while they go through the same process with a new card and operating system.
February 17, 2007 8:38:34 PM

Quote:
trust me on this one, i will get 500$.


Your worse than a crack dealer Someone should tell lil' Johny down the street he's wasting his lawn mowing money on it.

Any type of sufficient increase from the GX2 is going to be an 88GTX, ATI's R600 and beyond. The 88GTS scores just a few higher than the 7950GX2 and in certain cases, equivelent. Ofcourse being DX10 capable is incomparable - your next card is going to have a lot to live up to. As Prozac said; a real GX2 upgrade is going to have you waiting a while.
February 17, 2007 9:10:03 PM

Quote:
I have a 7950gx2 card and a 19' monitor @ 1440x900, and i want to upgrade.

ok, before u start hammering me saying that i don't need an upgrade consider this:

1) I can sell my card for 500$.



Not only can this guy sell a used 7950gx2 for $500 but he also has a 19 foot monitor!!! WHOA!
February 17, 2007 10:34:11 PM

Tell me how I can sell my FX5500 for $100, and I'll split the profit with you.
February 18, 2007 1:16:33 AM

I'd definitely wait for dx10 titles and ATI's competition in dx10 cards. Nothing save for sketchy, unfounded articles by a single website offered any comparisons to the G8x series in benching. Waiting sucks though. In your position I think waiting for the r600 would be best, depending on how well it does or does not perform, you'll have the best opportunity to pick the most suitable card, with comparably streamlined drivers for the cards.

Moreover, if the r600 performs either the same or just a slight bit better than the 8800 series, you could assume a price drop from the green camp... I was going to wait for the r600 before making a move, but with my previous card being an ati x800 GTO, and only having to spend a net price of $375 CAD tax free after selling the last card, I couldn't resist buying an 8800 gts 640mb.

If this buyer is willing to pay $500 for 7950gx2, does he or she want to make this purchase promptly? Obviously that could have a huge affect on whether or not you could wait out dx10 releases and ATI competition...
February 20, 2007 6:24:17 AM

Quote:
I have a 7950gx2 card and a 19' monitor @ 1440x900, and i want to upgrade.

ok, before u start hammering me saying that i don't need an upgrade consider this:

1) I can sell my card for 500$.



Not only can this guy sell a used 7950gx2 for $500 but he also has a 19 foot monitor!!! WHOA!

lol, yeah, i call it "Cinema". :D 

and for lionhardt. In Sudan, cards are judged by there memory, the 512mb 6200 sells for 2xx$, so if yours is 256mb, it can sell for 140$. :) 

I have no problem waiting, i'm planning to get it (whatever IT is) in april or may.
!