babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
For a few bucks more.....go for the DGL-4300 by D-link. Gives you wireless if you need it later....and the wireless can be turned off.

I worded for d-link technical support for over a year. There are alot of d-link products that really suck! But fortunately, the DGL-4300 really is awesome! I have one and it is great.

- 4 gigabit switch
- 5db antenna (Really improves wireless performance, 2db anntenna is the standard crap on all other routers out there)
- Gamefuel technology really works and is not a gimmick (Prioritizes game packets to decrease latency)

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I would stay away from EoP (Ethernet of power) It cause massive electrical distortion. It's one of the big reason there has not been alot of electric companies selling internet connections.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I agree they work well, but they screw up every other wireless appliance bigtime. Way worse then a WiFI signal. Wireless telephones would tremdously suffer, and especially the radio. If even screws with satilite TV.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
We are getting off topic now. He doesn't even really care about the wireless part.

Even if the DGL-4300 (D-link) didn't have wireless, it still rocks!
You can get the DGL-4100, but for the $20, i would get the DGL-4300. :D

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I disagree with getting the cheapest wired router! QoS is improtant, Configurability of firewall (All routers has the same firewall, it there configurability thats important), Gigabit switch for LAN parties! The list goes on!

Plus the amount of memory cache is important too! DGL-4300 and 4100 have 8mbs, standard crap has 2 at the most!

I've used Linksys, US robotics, and regular D-link DI-624. And my DGL-4300 is so much more reliable, stable and better performing then all of them. Plus the User Inferface is awesome. Tons of configurabiliy!

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
D-Link DGL-4100.

just a tip if you decide to go for the DGL-4300 and 4100 series..
stick with the B1 revision or laters
A1 and A3 are PLAGUED WITH ERRORS
and aproximately a 20% of them DO FAIL before garantee expires..
hell after heavy file sharing, they wont even last 3 days (mine died, as others did , just search around and you will find lots of angry people )

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Any decent router that you get will be faster than your ISP's speed. What is needed is the QoS feature. How well QoS will work for you will also depend on your ISP, so you might ask them for some advice.

My 2p...

slick8

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
is it really fast? i dont really need the wireless part of it right now, i just want something faster than my linksys befsr41, the net gear is like half the price, is it as fast as a d-4300?

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Me personally I had too many problems with the routers just shutting off the connections usually while I was playing games. I had several different Linksys routers do it, a dell router, and a couple of others all had the same problem so I went with the ultimate router that will never die and can be configured to do anything you want it to do... a spare computer that I had laying around running Linux. It has a great firewall, its easy to configure and setup (assuming you have some linux experience) and just about any computer would work much better than any router that you can buy at the stores.

P.S. I do realize that this solution is not for everyone but in the end it seems to be the best. 2 years and counting without so much as a restart.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
is it really fast? i dont really need the wireless part of it right now, i just want something faster than my linksys befsr41, the net gear is like half the price, is it as fast as a d-4300?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,156/

check the Toms hardware router charts :D

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Don't gaming routers just basically have QoS and that is it, as in extra features?

~Ibrahim~

well most have QOS but in the switch side ( the ports for the LAN )
while the DGL-4XXX series have the QOS in the WAN port ( for upload only )
apart from the QOS in the LAN side if I remember correctly.

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Trust me, get one of the DGL-4X00 series. Can't be beat. Even before I switched ISP's to a faster one, I saw SIGNIFICANT imporvements in internet-related performace.
And yes, you can switch off the wireless, so, for 20bucks more, get the 4300.
And, don't get Netgear. Ive had to work with them when getting people's networks set-up, and it sucks.
The DGL series have sooooo many options, but don't let that disuad you. They have a "simple" set-up, and then you can change the options if you want.

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
only 40 feet....I have about 1500 feet run in the walls of my house. I also have 2 or more computers running side by side in more than one room of my house.

yeah I went a little overboard but it is nice to have

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
It is nice having an ethernet port in every room but I don't have enough ports on my switch to have them all active at the same time :cry:

I still would never buy a router my self but if I did for performance I would go with either netgear or d-link and for wireless capabilities I would probably stick with belkin or netgear.

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
meh maybe if the computer stops running for some reason I would buy a netgear but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon because as I said before this computer has been running for about 2 years straight now with no problems and it was heavily used when it was setup in the first place.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Trust me, get one of the DGL-4X00 series. Can't be beat. Even before I switched ISP's to a faster one, I saw SIGNIFICANT imporvements in internet-related performace.
And yes, you can switch off the wireless, so, for 20bucks more, get the 4300.
And, don't get Netgear. Ive had to work with them when getting people's networks set-up, and it sucks.
The DGL series have sooooo many options, but don't let that disuad you. They have a "simple" set-up, and then you can change the options if you want.

well, I just hope if this guy decides to buy the DGL-4X00 series..
for him to check that the revision is higher than B1, anything before B1 = huge probability of getting a brick

It is nice having an ethernet port in every room but I don't have enough ports on my switch to have them all active at the same time :cry:

I still would never buy a router my self but if I did for performance I would go with either netgear or d-link and for wireless capabilities I would probably stick with belkin or netgear.

you can always add another standalone switch or hub in cascade

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I already have 1 switch connecting 3 hubs and a bunch of computers. I need to get a couple of good switches. I was going to buy a couple of cisco 48 port switches but haven't had the money to buy them yet. I also considered a cisco router but to get one that does what I would want would be really expensive (several thousand dollars)

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Well, I've got an A2 revision, and it works fine. Ive had it for at least 8-9 months.
Besides, theyve been out for long enough, that revision problems won't be an issue.