Sign in with
Your question

Gaming router

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2007 10:13:10 AM

any suggestions, im not looking to go wireless, im looking for a real good wired gaming router

More about : gaming router

February 17, 2007 8:47:45 PM

D-Link DGL-4100.
February 17, 2007 9:11:23 PM

For a few bucks more.....go for the DGL-4300 by D-link. Gives you wireless if you need it later....and the wireless can be turned off.

I worded for d-link technical support for over a year. There are alot of d-link products that really suck! But fortunately, the DGL-4300 really is awesome! I have one and it is great.

- 4 gigabit switch
- 5db antenna (Really improves wireless performance, 2db anntenna is the standard crap on all other routers out there)
- Gamefuel technology really works and is not a gimmick (Prioritizes game packets to decrease latency)
Related resources
February 17, 2007 9:17:08 PM

I would stay away from EoP (Ethernet of power) It cause massive electrical distortion. It's one of the big reason there has not been alot of electric companies selling internet connections.
February 17, 2007 9:22:54 PM

I agree they work well, but they screw up every other wireless appliance bigtime. Way worse then a WiFI signal. Wireless telephones would tremdously suffer, and especially the radio. If even screws with satilite TV.
February 17, 2007 9:27:21 PM

We are getting off topic now. He doesn't even really care about the wireless part.

Even if the DGL-4300 (D-link) didn't have wireless, it still rocks!
You can get the DGL-4100, but for the $20, i would get the DGL-4300. :D 
February 17, 2007 9:36:20 PM

I disagree with getting the cheapest wired router! QoS is improtant, Configurability of firewall (All routers has the same firewall, it there configurability thats important), Gigabit switch for LAN parties! The list goes on!

Plus the amount of memory cache is important too! DGL-4300 and 4100 have 8mbs, standard crap has 2 at the most!

I've used Linksys, US robotics, and regular D-link DI-624. And my DGL-4300 is so much more reliable, stable and better performing then all of them. Plus the User Inferface is awesome. Tons of configurabiliy!
February 17, 2007 9:49:20 PM

Review

Review 2

Review 3

There are tons of positive reviews on the DGL-4300.

With this beast "Lag is no longer a excuse!"

On the first review, it rapes the netgear.
February 17, 2007 9:54:59 PM

Quote:
D-Link DGL-4100.

just a tip if you decide to go for the DGL-4300 and 4100 series..
stick with the B1 revision or laters
A1 and A3 are PLAGUED WITH ERRORS
and aproximately a 20% of them DO FAIL before garantee expires..
hell after heavy file sharing, they wont even last 3 days (mine died, as others did , just search around and you will find lots of angry people )
February 17, 2007 10:01:16 PM

Any decent router that you get will be faster than your ISP's speed. What is needed is the QoS feature. How well QoS will work for you will also depend on your ISP, so you might ask them for some advice.

My 2p...
February 17, 2007 11:01:55 PM

whats the model number of the netgear super g?
February 17, 2007 11:25:49 PM

is it really fast? i dont really need the wireless part of it right now, i just want something faster than my linksys befsr41, the net gear is like half the price, is it as fast as a d-4300?
February 17, 2007 11:33:21 PM

Me personally I had too many problems with the routers just shutting off the connections usually while I was playing games. I had several different Linksys routers do it, a dell router, and a couple of others all had the same problem so I went with the ultimate router that will never die and can be configured to do anything you want it to do... a spare computer that I had laying around running Linux. It has a great firewall, its easy to configure and setup (assuming you have some linux experience) and just about any computer would work much better than any router that you can buy at the stores.

P.S. I do realize that this solution is not for everyone but in the end it seems to be the best. 2 years and counting without so much as a restart.
February 17, 2007 11:33:24 PM

Quote:
is it really fast? i dont really need the wireless part of it right now, i just want something faster than my linksys befsr41, the net gear is like half the price, is it as fast as a d-4300?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wra...

check the Toms hardware router charts :D 
February 17, 2007 11:37:35 PM

Don't gaming routers just basically have QoS and that is it, as in extra features?

~Ibrahim~
February 17, 2007 11:43:27 PM

Quote:
Don't gaming routers just basically have QoS and that is it, as in extra features?

~Ibrahim~

well most have QOS but in the switch side ( the ports for the LAN )
while the DGL-4XXX series have the QOS in the WAN port ( for upload only )
apart from the QOS in the LAN side if I remember correctly.
a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2007 11:45:52 PM

I have the D-Link DGL-4100 and it rocks. In addition to the QoS (gamefuel) it supports 1000 simultaneous connections which is great for P2P.

If you look at THG's router chart you'll see it's ranked highly. It's the same as the DGL-4300 minus the wireless.
February 18, 2007 1:15:36 AM

Trust me, get one of the DGL-4X00 series. Can't be beat. Even before I switched ISP's to a faster one, I saw SIGNIFICANT imporvements in internet-related performace.
And yes, you can switch off the wireless, so, for 20bucks more, get the 4300.
And, don't get Netgear. Ive had to work with them when getting people's networks set-up, and it sucks.
The DGL series have sooooo many options, but don't let that disuad you. They have a "simple" set-up, and then you can change the options if you want.
February 18, 2007 1:16:12 AM

only 40 feet....I have about 1500 feet run in the walls of my house. I also have 2 or more computers running side by side in more than one room of my house.

yeah I went a little overboard but it is nice to have
February 18, 2007 1:27:42 AM

Ya know....I have a perfectly nice LinkSys WRT54G and with a few firmware updates, and mods it's pretty good :twisted:
February 18, 2007 1:35:21 AM

It is nice having an ethernet port in every room but I don't have enough ports on my switch to have them all active at the same time :cry: 

I still would never buy a router my self but if I did for performance I would go with either netgear or d-link and for wireless capabilities I would probably stick with belkin or netgear.
February 18, 2007 2:11:03 AM

meh maybe if the computer stops running for some reason I would buy a netgear but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon because as I said before this computer has been running for about 2 years straight now with no problems and it was heavily used when it was setup in the first place.
February 18, 2007 2:12:50 AM

Quote:
Trust me, get one of the DGL-4X00 series. Can't be beat. Even before I switched ISP's to a faster one, I saw SIGNIFICANT imporvements in internet-related performace.
And yes, you can switch off the wireless, so, for 20bucks more, get the 4300.
And, don't get Netgear. Ive had to work with them when getting people's networks set-up, and it sucks.
The DGL series have sooooo many options, but don't let that disuad you. They have a "simple" set-up, and then you can change the options if you want.

well, I just hope if this guy decides to buy the DGL-4X00 series..
for him to check that the revision is higher than B1, anything before B1 = huge probability of getting a brick

Quote:
It is nice having an ethernet port in every room but I don't have enough ports on my switch to have them all active at the same time :cry: 

I still would never buy a router my self but if I did for performance I would go with either netgear or d-link and for wireless capabilities I would probably stick with belkin or netgear.

you can always add another standalone switch or hub in cascade
February 18, 2007 2:20:02 AM

I already have 1 switch connecting 3 hubs and a bunch of computers. I need to get a couple of good switches. I was going to buy a couple of cisco 48 port switches but haven't had the money to buy them yet. I also considered a cisco router but to get one that does what I would want would be really expensive (several thousand dollars)
February 18, 2007 2:22:35 AM

Well, I've got an A2 revision, and it works fine. Ive had it for at least 8-9 months.
Besides, theyve been out for long enough, that revision problems won't be an issue.
February 18, 2007 2:24:43 AM

Quote:
I already have 1 switch connecting 3 hubs and a bunch of computers. I need to get a couple of good switches. I was going to buy a couple of cisco 48 port switches but haven't had the money to buy them yet. I also considered a cisco router but to get one that does what I would want would be really expensive (several thousand dollars)

3com is usually a bit cheaper than cisco and offers similar performance , so id say try 3com in the Switch ?

and not sure how many computers you have, but the DGL-4300 suposed to handle up to 128 heavy connections for up to 90Mbps from WAN to LAN troughtput.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wra...

Quote:
Well, I've got an A2 revision, and it works fine. Ive had it for at least 8-9 months.
Besides, theyve been out for long enough, that revision problems won't be an issue.

my A1 failed, and I've seen lots of A2 fail in diferent forums o_O
even A3's

the percentages are around 35% of A1's did fail in the first 3 months of use and less than 1 month when using heavy p2p.
A2's got reduced to 20-25%
A3 to 18%
B1 to less than 5% failure rates o_O
February 18, 2007 2:33:54 AM

Well, I've got all 4 wired ports filled; This (slightly aging gamingbeast): a piece of crap one: xbox360: C2D system:
plus 2 wireless clients; Heavy internet using laptop: Hp printer:
February 18, 2007 3:09:17 AM

DLINK SUX BAD!!!

I CANT GET HOLD OF THEIR TECH SUPPORT PPL FOR PROBLEMS!!

GET A BELKIN 4 port cable dsl router

I run mine with 4 accts on a mmorg, it installs so smooth....never had a prob with it.!
February 18, 2007 3:55:26 AM

I have thought about other brands and the cheapest that will do what I want is SMC which their prices are not too bad but still I ave not spent the money on it yet but will as soon as I am able to (which will probably be just before I move)
February 18, 2007 4:19:42 PM

Quote:
Ya know....I have a perfectly nice LinkSys WRT54G and with a few firmware updates, and mods it's pretty good :twisted:

Me, too! I'm using DD-WRT firmware, which is nice. Did you know you can overclock it?? I'm thinking of strapping a 80mm fan on it and seeing how high I can go, lmao!

I only got a new one because it added QoS and VOIP for free!

~Ibrahim~
February 18, 2007 8:44:45 PM

Trendnet routers are the best for overclocking. You don't have to add a fan, their passive heatsink does a very good job. My buddy had one, and I didn't even have to up the voltage to get another %50 increase in throughput.
February 18, 2007 8:52:30 PM

you can't do it with Netgear routers......their crappy firmware doesn't allow for it.
February 18, 2007 9:00:12 PM

........I'm just f*cking with you!

you can't :wink:
February 18, 2007 10:24:43 PM

Quote:
What the hell? I never thought it would be possible, but do you actually get an performance increase in your overall speed and throughput?

I looked around at DD-WRT forums and some people have really gotten into this.

WTF?! I know.

Anyways: Firstly, it enlarges your e-penis a few sizes. Next, it will make your router homepage load about 1ms faster. Also, the Linksys routers are actually underclocked, so I guess for fun??

The reason why: e-penis seems like the only useful reason..

~Ibrahim~
February 18, 2007 10:33:11 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty sweet mod, I may consider doing that myself, do it you do it on your own? Or did you follow a site's instructions?

lol, that isn't mine. That is some guy who really got into it. I don't think I'll be doing that..Maybe just a 80/120mm fan, that is all, lol.

~Ibrahim~
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2007 11:19:38 PM

The value of a gaming router is that high priority requests from the game get sent through the router without delay. If there are no other competing tasks, then this is not much of an advantage. If there are other users on the router downloading things, at the same time, then it can be a HUGE advantage to the gamer. The D-link dgl-4100 and the wireless version(dgl-4300) will connect to the pc via a gigabit link, instead of the usual 10/100 speed. This is also a marginal advantage because cable or dsl is much slower. Non the less, the dgl-4100/4300 is a very easy quality router.
February 19, 2007 11:16:39 PM

It is pretty awesome, I agree.

@geo

You're talking about QoS, prioritizing something over something else. Right now, I've got my QoS set to BF2. So whenever I fire up BF2, I get around 90% of the bandwidth to myself, while the extra 10% my brother and sister can fight over with their wireless laptops, lol.

QoS isn't limited to gaming routers, but gaming routers MUST have some form of QoS to even be considered.

~Ibrahim~

P.S. I tried to crank mine up a bit on stock cooling, but I got frequent wireless disconnections, so I had to bring it back to stock. :( 
February 22, 2007 11:39:51 PM

Another vote for the D-Link 4100. Mine has been problem free sense I baught it 3 or 4 months ago.
February 23, 2007 12:58:19 AM

Quote:

~Ibrahim~

nope, normal routers cant handle heavy p2ptraffic (more than 100 connections transfering at same time )

most do reset, hangup, or similars, even my trusty 3com does hang up when I do more than 100 connections, so Im preety limited in that..

and as for overclocking, the hell you can
but only a few
most of them are LINUX based, and thats the famous linksys linux router ( DDRTW-55 v1 v2 , v4 and v5 reportedlty to suck and wont work with linux.(vxworks)

and some have modded the DGL-4300 with fans too , cause it gets HOT.
February 23, 2007 12:18:46 PM

can anyone give me some tweaks for this router(dgl 4300), im looking to maximize this for gaming, im just not sure what everything means, and i dont feel like spending all day trying different things, also is there a specific setting to increase upload speed?
February 23, 2007 1:15:51 PM

Ignore all other suggestions and get the Linksys WRT54GL. Out of the 3 routers I've owned, an SMC that died after a year and a D-Link that was just crap, this is the best. Make sure you get the one with the "L" in the model because it uses open source Linux firmware and 3rd party firmware hacks are available to open up more features to tweak out your connections. Believe me, you will not be dissappointed!

Good luck!
February 23, 2007 4:31:55 PM

Quote:
any suggestions, im not looking to go wireless, im looking for a real good wired gaming router

================================================
If you want a gaming router than this is the one, the D-Link DGL 4300. It comes with 10/100/1000Mbps and 802.11 b/g wireless. I've been using broadband for over 8 years with many other brands and by far this is the best router period. It's been working flawlessly since day one for almost two years with out any problem. Having my entire home network (5 PCs) on gigabit is awsome. Transferring large data between systems is very fast. The wireless feature is also very good on both b/g. Surfing the net while getting a sun tan on my back yard is also cool.
I highly recommend for any hard core gamers. I do want to point out that one needs to be familiar with networking protocols, otherwise configuration can be a headache.

Games:
* LOMAC
* IL2 series
* Battlefield 2142
* CounterStrike

System:
* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (No OC)
* Tt Orb II Blue Cooler
* ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB DDR3
* ASUS P5B-VM with Tt LANBox microATX case
* 2x1GB, PC2-4300, CL=3-3-3-8, Geil Ultra Low Latency
* Ultra 550W ATX (Ultra X2 550-Watt with UV & SLI ready
* Lite-On 20x DVD/CD Writer with LightScribe
* TrackIR 4 Pro
* Cougar HOTAS
* Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP LCD
============================================
"One Can Never Have Enough"

Cheers! 8)
February 23, 2007 4:40:53 PM

I play 2142, are there any specific settings I can use with my DGL-4300 that would help
February 23, 2007 8:32:57 PM

Quote:

~Ibrahim~

nope, normal routers cant handle heavy p2ptraffic (more than 100 connections transfering at same time )

most do reset, hangup, or similars, even my trusty 3com does hang up when I do more than 100 connections, so Im preety limited in that..

and as for overclocking, the hell you can
but only a few
most of them are LINUX based, and thats the famous linksys linux router ( DDRTW-55 v1 v2 , v4 and v5 reportedlty to suck and wont work with linux.(vxworks)

and some have modded the DGL-4300 with fans too , cause it gets HOT.

@taco

No, :(  Nothing, for the short time it would stay connected...

@tam

P2P, I'm a bit ignorant. Is that used in games, like BF2?

I'm using DD-WRT on my V3 and it works beautifully.

~Ibrahim~
February 26, 2007 12:37:45 AM

p2p is "peer to peer". Any torrent program is p2p based, as are other file sharing programs.
February 26, 2007 10:11:09 PM

Quote:
p2p is "peer to peer". Any torrent program is p2p based, as are other file sharing programs.

That is what I thought...I hardly ever use those, unless I'm trying to find some hard-to-find software..

~Ibrahim~
March 28, 2007 10:47:26 AM

I just got a Wii so I need to go wireless, i'm with Virgin Media. Do I need to get a wireless router or is there a wireless adapter that sends out a wireless signal from my PC?

My 'tech' friend was telling me about one but I want to do a little research.

I just have a PC (next to virgin connection) connected by a cable at the moment, don't think i'll be adding anymore computers anytime soon so maybe I don't need a router???

Any recommendations?
March 29, 2007 12:35:09 AM

Quote:
I just got a Wii so I need to go wireless, i'm with Virgin Media. Do I need to get a wireless router or is there a wireless adapter that sends out a wireless signal from my PC?

My 'tech' friend was telling me about one but I want to do a little research.

I just have a PC (next to virgin connection) connected by a cable at the moment, don't think i'll be adding anymore computers anytime soon so maybe I don't need a router???

Any recommendations?

Kind of confused. Are you trying to get your Wii to connect to your PC or the internet?

Either way, you'll need a wireless router. It will then 'split' the internet connection between your PC and your Wii. Any good cheap one will do, but try to get one with QoS so your PC/Wii isn't always hogging all the bandwidth.

~Ibrahim~
March 29, 2007 8:43:54 AM

Sorry for the confusion!

Since my last post I found these items on http://www.digidave.co.uk - they are multi use wireless USB adapters (Router, Access Point, Bridge, and Client) and as their ad says:

Quote:
You can use it to pick up a wireless signal BUT it can also send out a wireless signal for other computers to share. No router or access point is now needed to share your broadband connection.

I presume this means you install it on your computer which is connected to your broadband and you can set it to send out a wireless/WiFi signal. My Wii or any other games console could then pick it up!
Looks like a very cheap solution if you don't want or need to get a wireless router.

802.11b version - £8.99
http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=34&pro...

802.11g version - £9.99
http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=34&pro...

I'm thinking these are good for a short term solution (bit broke at the moment) but I see Digidave also have wireless routers for a great price!
http://www.digidave.co.uk/index.php?cPath=47

Most of these would be OK for gaming?
!