help: "the system cannot find the file" 16-bit pgm

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 22, 2004 1:33:03 PM

Hi Group,

I think I have a self-inflicted problem. I receive "The system cannot find
the file xxx.xxx" when I try to run an old 16-bit ms-dos program (lib.exe)
from a command prompt. I can run the program from a plain Win2000
installation but not the installations that have security parameters tweaked
to the local standard. Also, I have no problem running a recent 32-bit
version of lib.exe. I'm sure one of the parameters is keeping the program
from running but I can't find it. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks

BobS
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 1:33:04 PM

Instead of running it from cmd.exe (or launching it from Explorer), try
running it from command.com and see what happens.

--
Bob McCoy
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

"BobS" wrote in message ...
> Hi Group,
>
> I think I have a self-inflicted problem. I receive "The system cannot find
> the file xxx.xxx" when I try to run an old 16-bit ms-dos program (lib.exe)
> from a command prompt. I can run the program from a plain Win2000
> installation but not the installations that have security parameters
> tweaked
> to the local standard. Also, I have no problem running a recent 32-bit
> version of lib.exe. I'm sure one of the parameters is keeping the program
> from running but I can't find it. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks
>
> BobS

December 22, 2004 2:00:36 PM

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that but no joy.
I also should have mentioned that dir lists lib.exe but it does not execute.
Seems like an issue with NTVDM or wowexec.exe. Permissions look okay and I'm
logged as admin.

BobS

!