VPN problem

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

Hi all,
I have a win2k server configured as pptp vpn.
Everything is working fine. But the users behind the vpn server cannot
access the external LAN. I wan to provide then access to the external
LAN.

Here is what I want to do.
user ---->vpn server----->external LAN.

I need help for this.

Mamun

First of all, what do you mean by "External LAN"? Are you referring to the
Internet?

How is your VPN configured? Are you using RRAS? Are you assuming that this
provides access out as well as access in? Has this ever worked for you in
the past?

--
Bob McCoy
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

"Dev" <somudrodev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have a win2k server configured as pptp vpn.
> Everything is working fine. But the users behind the vpn server cannot
> access the external LAN. I wan to provide then access to the external
> LAN.
>
> Here is what I want to do.
> user ---->vpn server----->external LAN.
>
> I need help for this.
>
> Mamun

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

Yes, I mean Internet.
My vpn is configured using RRAS wizard. Yes, I am using RRAS. I just
want to provide access to my internal users. Not inbound access. I have
alrady install NAT there. But it is not working.
Is it possible to configure NAT and vpn in a same box running win2k
server?

~/Dev

Bob McCoy [MSFT] wrote:
> First of all, what do you mean by "External LAN"? Are you referring
to the
> Internet?
>
> How is your VPN configured? Are you using RRAS? Are you assuming
that this
> provides access out as well as access in? Has this ever worked for
you in
> the past?
>
> --
> Bob McCoy
> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> * Please note I cannot respond to email questions. Please use these
> newsgroups.
>
> "Dev" <somudrodev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I have a win2k server configured as pptp vpn.
> > Everything is working fine. But the users behind the vpn server
cannot
> > access the external LAN. I wan to provide then access to the
external
> > LAN.
> >
> > Here is what I want to do.
> > user ---->vpn server----->external LAN.
> >
> > I need help for this.
> >
> > Mamun

I am not sure exactly what you mean but if you want them to be able to
access the internet through the VPN connection configure their VPN
connectoid to use the default gateway of your network when connected via
VPN. Look under properties/networking/tcp ip/properties/advanced - use
default gateway on remote network. If still having problems use the ping and
tracert utilities using IP address and name of remote destination to check
for availability and to find the bottleneck [tracert]. --- Steve

> Yes, I mean Internet.
> My vpn is configured using RRAS wizard. Yes, I am using RRAS. I just
> want to provide access to my internal users. Not inbound access. I have
> alrady install NAT there. But it is not working.
> Is it possible to configure NAT and vpn in a same box running win2k
> server?
>
> ~/Dev
>
> Bob McCoy [MSFT] wrote:
>> First of all, what do you mean by "External LAN"? Are you referring
> to the
>> Internet?
>>
>> How is your VPN configured? Are you using RRAS? Are you assuming
> that this
>> provides access out as well as access in? Has this ever worked for
> you in
>> the past?
>>
>> --
>> Bob McCoy
>> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>> * Please note I cannot respond to email questions. Please use these
>> newsgroups.
>>
>> "Dev" <somudrodev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have a win2k server configured as pptp vpn.
>> > Everything is working fine. But the users behind the vpn server
> cannot
>> > access the external LAN. I wan to provide then access to the
> external
>> > LAN.
>> >
>> > Here is what I want to do.
>> > user ---->vpn server----->external LAN.
>> >
>> > I need help for this.
>> >
>> > Mamun

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

What I want is to provide VPN and NAT service in a same windows 2k
server box.
Any one has any information about that.

Steven L Umbach wrote:
> I am not sure exactly what you mean but if you want them to be able
> access the internet through the VPN connection configure their VPN
> connectoid to use the default gateway of your network when connected
via
> VPN. Look under properties/networking/tcp ip/properties/advanced -
use
> default gateway on remote network. If still having problems use the
ping and
> tracert utilities using IP address and name of remote destination to
check
> for availability and to find the bottleneck [tracert]. --- Steve
>

> "Dev" <somudrodev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I mean Internet.
> > My vpn is configured using RRAS wizard. Yes, I am using RRAS. I
just
> > want to provide access to my internal users. Not inbound access. I
have
> > alrady install NAT there. But it is not working.
> > Is it possible to configure NAT and vpn in a same box running win2k
> > server?
> >
> > ~/Dev
> >
> > Bob McCoy [MSFT] wrote:
> >> First of all, what do you mean by "External LAN"? Are you
referring
> > to the
> >> Internet?
> >>
> >> How is your VPN configured? Are you using RRAS? Are you assuming
> > that this
> >> provides access out as well as access in? Has this ever worked
for
> > you in
> >> the past?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob McCoy
> >> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no
> >> rights.
> >> * Please note I cannot respond to email questions. Please use
these
> >> newsgroups.
> >>
> >> "Dev" <somudrodev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > cannot
> > external

OK. You probably can do that by configuring NAT and then disabling packet
filtering on the external network adapter that is usually configured
automatically when you configure VPN via Remote Access Management Console.
Open it and go to IP routing/general, find your network adapter, check
properties inbound and outbound filters. You can remove those entries so
that it is configured to receive/send all packets except those listed below.
The link below may also be helpful. -- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299801