permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 23, 2004 7:16:53 PM

Hi,

I need to be able to change the permission on a 100 or so folders to
give me (administrator) access. I have only found a way to do this one
folder at a time?! Is there a way to select a multitude of folders and
change all of there permission in one shot? Is there a way for me to change
one folder's permissions and then copy/mirror them to all the other folders?

Thanks for the help,

Daniel P

More about : permissions

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 23, 2004 8:32:58 PM

"Daniel" <IDontHaveOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to change the permission on a 100 or so folders to
> give me (administrator) access. I have only found a way to do this one
> folder at a time?! Is there a way to select a multitude of folders and
> change all of there permission in one shot? Is there a way for me to
change
> one folder's permissions and then copy/mirror them to all the other
folders?

Yes, but you will have to learn just a bit
about simple scripts and command files.

You can change or replace the permissions
on a file or directory, or the whole directory
tree with Calcs.exe (built-in) and XCalcs.exe
(Support Tools).

Be careful, the default is replace so you need
to be certain to use the /e (edit, i.e., modify not
replace) in most cases.

Then you either apply it from the parent directory
to ALL the child subdirectories or you copy the
list of directories to a text file and REMOVE those
you don't wish to change etc.

dir /ad /b >dirs.txt

After something like that you can run this:

for /f %a in (dirs.txt) do @echo xcacls "%a" /e /g:administrators:f

(I made that last an ECHO command so that you can play with it
without actually making changes and you should TEST it before
turning it lose on 100s of directories -- I type it in without testing.)

--
Herb Martin

!