permissions

Hi,

I need to be able to change the permission on a 100 or so folders to
give me (administrator) access. I have only found a way to do this one
folder at a time?! Is there a way to select a multitude of folders and
change all of there permission in one shot? Is there a way for me to change
one folder's permissions and then copy/mirror them to all the other folders?

Thanks for the help,

Daniel P
1 answer Last reply
More about permissions

    "Daniel" <IDontHaveOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to be able to change the permission on a 100 or so folders to
    > give me (administrator) access. I have only found a way to do this one
    > folder at a time?! Is there a way to select a multitude of folders and
    > change all of there permission in one shot? Is there a way for me to
    change
    > one folder's permissions and then copy/mirror them to all the other
    folders?

    Yes, but you will have to learn just a bit
    about simple scripts and command files.

    You can change or replace the permissions
    on a file or directory, or the whole directory
    tree with Calcs.exe (built-in) and XCalcs.exe
    (Support Tools).

    Be careful, the default is replace so you need
    to be certain to use the /e (edit, i.e., modify not
    replace) in most cases.

    Then you either apply it from the parent directory
    to ALL the child subdirectories or you copy the
    list of directories to a text file and REMOVE those
    you don't wish to change etc.

    dir /ad /b >dirs.txt

    After something like that you can run this:

    for /f %a in (dirs.txt) do @echo xcacls "%a" /e /g:administrators:f

    (I made that last an ECHO command so that you can play with it
    without actually making changes and you should TEST it before
    turning it lose on 100s of directories -- I type it in without testing.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > Daniel P