Clearing Run Table

Hi,
When I go to Start/Run and start to type in something, a list of
previous listings come up. In Win 98 I knew how to clear this. My
question is how do you clear this in WIN XP Pro?
Appreciate the help.

Dan (Still going in circles)
3 answers Last reply
More about clearing table

    Hi Dan,

    The information comes from two separate areas:

    1. RunMRU entry in the registry. This can be cleared by editing the
    registry, or by clearing the Recent documents list in the Start Menu and
    Taskbar Properties.

    Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307875

    2. The entries that appear when you type something (but not normally
    displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat (Internet
    Explorer's) file. Clearing the Index.dat should help.

    See Mike Burgess' page: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    -or-

    Uncheck Use Autocomplete for "Web addresses" in IE Options Content tab
    (AutoComplete settings dialog). FYI, unchecking this option, disables the
    CTRL + ENTER (autosuggest) functionality in Intenret Explorer.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "skip" <wi1202@dropthistoemailmecitlink.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > When I go to Start/Run and start to type in something, a list of
    > previous listings come up. In Win 98 I knew how to clear this. My
    > question is how do you clear this in WIN XP Pro?
    > Appreciate the help.
    >

    > Dan (Still going in circles)

    Ramesh,
    Thank you for getting back to me so fast. Thank you for the great
    information. I will try this a little later today and let you know if
    it worked.
    Thanks again,

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:49:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Dan,
    >
    >The information comes from two separate areas:
    >
    >1. RunMRU entry in the registry. This can be cleared by editing the
    >registry, or by clearing the Recent documents list in the Start Menu and
    >Taskbar Properties.
    >
    >Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in Windows
    >XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307875
    >
    >2. The entries that appear when you type something (but not normally
    >displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat (Internet
    >Explorer's) file. Clearing the Index.dat should help.
    >
    >See Mike Burgess' page: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
    >
    >-or-
    >
    >Uncheck Use Autocomplete for "Web addresses" in IE Options Content tab
    >(AutoComplete settings dialog). FYI, unchecking this option, disables the
    >CTRL + ENTER (autosuggest) functionality in Intenret Explorer.

    Dan (Still going in circles)

    All the best, skip.

    --

    > Ramesh,
    > Thank you for getting back to me so fast. Thank you for the great
    > information. I will try this a little later today and let you know if
    > it worked.
    > Thanks again,
    >

    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:49:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Dan,
    >>
    >>The information comes from two separate areas:
    >>
    >>1. RunMRU entry in the registry. This can be cleared by editing the
    >>registry, or by clearing the Recent documents list in the Start Menu and
    >>Taskbar Properties.
    >>
    >>Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in Windows
    >>XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307875
    >>
    >>2. The entries that appear when you type something (but not normally
    >>displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat
    >>(Internet
    >>Explorer's) file. Clearing the Index.dat should help.
    >>
    >>See Mike Burgess' page: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
    >>
    >>-or-
    >>
    >>Uncheck Use Autocomplete for "Web addresses" in IE Options Content tab
    >>(AutoComplete settings dialog). FYI, unchecking this option, disables the
    >>CTRL + ENTER (autosuggest) functionality in Intenret Explorer.
    >

    > Dan (Still going in circles)

Microsoft Windows XP