Sign in with
Your question

Drivers for ASUS EXTREME AX1950PRO/HTDP/ 256M

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2007 1:15:33 PM

This will look like a noob question, but I have to ask.

Since I've started using WXP, I've always had ATI GPU. At first it was a Radeon 8500 that I upgraded for a Radeon 9800Pro, always from ATI. I received my new PC yesterday and it has a Radeon X1950Pro from Asus in it. I choosed that VPU for it's video-in capacity and lower price over the same VPU from ATI.

Here are my questions. Drivers from ASUS are not as frequent as the one from ATI/AMD. Will I have any problems if I download and install Catalyst driver from ATI? Will I loose my video-in option, or is there a way to keep it even with ATI drivers? With ATI drivers, can I keep on using ASUS overclocking option and utility that comes with it?

I know it's a lot a question, but thanks for your time answering me.

P.S.: I did some search on google with "Asus X1950 Pro + ATI drivers" and different combinations but came with nothing good.

EDIT: I have dual-boot XP Home 32-bit and Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
February 17, 2007 2:40:08 PM

ATI make GPUs.

They do NOT make Gfx cards.

Companies like Asus, Sapphire, Sparkle, Powercolour, etc etc put together cards with ATI GPUs.

You have an ATI card, and can run the ATI drivers fine. You should use the ATI Catalyst overclocking utilities, or even better, ATItool, not the ASUS ones.

Your Video-in will more than likely work with the ATI drivers. If it is part of the GPU, then ATI made it and it will work with their drivers. If it is some other component that shares the PCB with the ATI GPU, then the ASUS drivers will still work for it while the ATI ones handle the GPU.

Worst case scenario is that you have to reinstall the ASUS drivers.
February 19, 2007 1:18:49 PM

Thanks for your answer, I'll try the Catalyst 7.2 when released.

Before I go tough, ATI DO make GFx card. NVidia doesn't, but ATI does. Even more, ATI used to, until about when the released their Radeon9700 GPU, have no reseller of their VPU. They changed their policy to get more competitive with NVidia. Just a quick note.
Related resources
February 20, 2007 2:03:19 PM

I know they used to, I remember my old ATI Xpert@Play 12MB :D 

As far as I'm aware they don't any more, although I thoguht they had some minority stake in a company that did.... either sapphire or sparkle iirc.
February 20, 2007 10:01:38 PM

ATI still make a few of their cards in-house though they are much more expensive. Think $275 for a X1950Pro when Sapphire sells one for $200, though this was several months ago, their's is now a modest $225 I think.
February 27, 2007 2:32:27 AM

Quote:
I know they used to, I remember my old ATI Xpert@Play 12MB :D 

As far as I'm aware they don't any more, although I thoguht they had some minority stake in a company that did.... either sapphire or sparkle iirc.

I'll put 100$ on this one. ATI still do graphic card, altough that may change with the new DX10 generation since AMD purchased them. I actually saw ATI box when shopping for my new PC. The only problem is that they sell them at 20% more than Sapphyre and Asus. :?

Kinda weird!
February 27, 2007 3:11:02 AM

Yes ATI as many have said made there own GFX for years. And still make some as some have said such as these that i quickly found on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=...

And as i can tell those are some of the newest card from ATI. I could be wrong so don't jump all out of your seat if i am incorrect i am an Nvidia guy and don't read too much on ATI lately. Not a fanboy just a person with Nvidia cards. I like performance in general if ATI has the better card Yay ATI if Nvidia does YAY Nvidia lol.

EDIT:Spelling
!