Howto log all NTFS settings for all folders

Is there a way to perform a log or use a util on a drive to record all
the NTFS permissions so in the case we lose the settings, we can
recover using the log / util?

More easily said than done, at least in cases, is to define
a security config template (add the security templates snap-in
into an mmc) so that it matches the intended NTFS ACLing.
This template can then be used to
1) inquire: is it still as it should be, and if not, where not
2) make it so
For storage areas that are highly irregular, or are not of your
own NTFS ACLing specification (like the OS install partition)
making the template can involve a little effort, but for all other
storage scenarios this is rather simple and straightforward.

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
"-Karl" <dinodod@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to perform a log or use a util on a drive to record all
> the NTFS permissions so in the case we lose the settings, we can
> recover using the log / util?

Well nothing beats a full backup. generally you do not lose those settings
unless some malware attack or OS corruption. Anyhow dumpsec from SomarSoft
is free and should fit the bill and be in every admins toolkit. Steve

http://www.somarsoft.com/

"-Karl" <dinodod@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to perform a log or use a util on a drive to record all
> the NTFS permissions so in the case we lose the settings, we can
> recover using the log / util?

TRENDING THREADS