Howto log all NTFS settings for all folders

Is there a way to perform a log or use a util on a drive to record all
the NTFS permissions so in the case we lose the settings, we can
recover using the log / util?
2 answers Last reply
More about howto ntfs settings folders

    More easily said than done, at least in cases, is to define
    a security config template (add the security templates snap-in
    into an mmc) so that it matches the intended NTFS ACLing.
    This template can then be used to
    1) inquire: is it still as it should be, and if not, where not
    2) make it so
    For storage areas that are highly irregular, or are not of your
    own NTFS ACLing specification (like the OS install partition)
    making the template can involve a little effort, but for all other
    storage scenarios this is rather simple and straightforward.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    "-Karl" <dinodod@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to perform a log or use a util on a drive to record all
    > the NTFS permissions so in the case we lose the settings, we can
    > recover using the log / util?

    Well nothing beats a full backup. generally you do not lose those settings
    unless some malware attack or OS corruption. Anyhow dumpsec from SomarSoft
    is free and should fit the bill and be in every admins toolkit. Steve

    http://www.somarsoft.com/

    "-Karl" <dinodod@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to perform a log or use a util on a drive to record all
    > the NTFS permissions so in the case we lose the settings, we can
    > recover using the log / util?

NTFS Microsoft Windows