software and security

Dear friends,
There're some softwares need to write to registry, and they would not work
if login as "users".
I want client could work with those kind of software without "administrator"
rights (we just provide enough rights to use that software)
Please help me!
Thanks

Go get the tools regmon and filemon from
www.sysinternals.com
These tools can be used to see what registry values and
what files/folders (respectively) the program is accessing.
To use, log in as an admin and start the tools (not start
capturing with them) and configure their capture filter
to look for things related to the limited user account you
will use. Then use RunAs to start the application to be
tested while at the same time using the admin to start the
capture with the tools.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

> Go get the tools regmon and filemon from
> www.sysinternals.com
> These tools can be used to see what registry values and
> what files/folders (respectively) the program is accessing.
> To use, log in as an admin and start the tools (not start
> capturing with them) and configure their capture filter
> to look for things related to the limited user account you
> will use. Then use RunAs to start the application to be
> tested while at the same time using the admin to start the
> capture with the tools.

Roger's advice is excellent for finding the offending
calls and perhaps changing the security on just those
keys/items/files.

You might also look at making the users Power Users
on the respective machines -- Power User privileges
were arranged in Win2000+ to make most such (legacy)
software work.

Another alternative is to apply the CompatWS.inf
security template.

Now, neither of these methods may work and you still
may have to deal with the privileges directly (on the
files and registry) but if it does work, then this may
save you some effort.

--
Herb Martin

> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Dean L. Howen" <coldman@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > Dear friends,
> > There're some softwares need to write to registry, and they would not
work
> > if login as "users".
> > I want client could work with those kind of software without
> "administrator"
> > rights (we just provide enough rights to use that software)
> > Please help me!
> > Thanks

Hello,
The Power Users and CompatWS.inf options will weaken your security. I
would strongly suggest the filemon/regmon solution.