7600gs passive cooling inquiry

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
I want to buy a new video card. I need one that does not have a loud fan because the computer is on my desk 2 feet from me. Also I am on a tight budget $120 US dollars total. This is why I was looking at the Biostar 7600gs. I wanted to get the GT but have heard in this forum and also in feed back on newegg's site that it has a loud fan and it also has higher power requirements than what I have. I have an InWin V 564t micro atx tower it has a 120mm fan in the back and another one on the bottom of the power supply. There is also a 6 inch square opening on the side panel next to where the video card would install. I have a 300 watt powersupply which is a tight margin power wise. Below is the product on newegg. I was wondering if anyone sees a heat problem with this. I am not into massive gaming, just want to play doom 3 and a couple of newer games decently.

Newegg 7600gs

pauldh

Illustrious
The 7600GS is a cool running card that uses little power. Due to your power supply I'd say it's probably your best choice. If you had a beefier power supply, I would have recommended the HIS IceQ X1650XT Turbo which has the power of the 7600GT but with a nice quiet high performance cooler. But to be honest, I have this passive PCI-e 7600GS in a quiet, low airflow system, and it has no problems overheating looping GPU stress tests. I say go fo it.