Sign in with
Your question

A Few Questions about installing the Asus P5W DH Deluxe/WiFi

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2007 3:29:13 PM

Hello Folks,

I just purchased the Asus P5W DH Deluxe/WiFi board from NewEgg which should arrive on Tuesday. I have downloaded the manual and I have a few questions on the installation.

First of all, the hardware I purchased is as follows:

CD ROM – LiteOn SH-16A7S, SATA, CD\DVD, etchttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hard Disk - Western Digital 250GB SATA-300 Hard Drive
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Asus P5W DH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Now for the questions:

1. The manual for the CD-ROM says that there is a DATA SATA connector and Power SATA connector. The manual says that the Power SATA connector is optional if the DATA SATA connector does not supply enough power. I always thought SATA devices were powered and connected to the motherboard via one connection. I guess the safe thing to do is to just try the one connector and see what happens?

2. Since my motherboard is brand new and it supports SATA devices, shouldn’t I be able to attach the hard disk to SATA1 and the CD ROM to SATA2? I am using Windows XP2 for an OS. I think I only need SP1 to recognize SATA.

3. The manual talks about an “Optional fan”. I am using a retail E6600 which comes with a fan and heatsink. Is this fan necessary? It says to only install the fan if you are using a passive or water cooler? I would think that the fan on the CPU is active, right?

4. The manual talks about a “Front Panel Audio Connector (10-1 pin AAFP). It says that the module supports either HD Audio or legacy AC ’97 audio standard. This sound to me like the connection for the speaker that is in the case?

5. Lastly, when installing the processor, I seen where some users use thermal paste to create a better bond\connection between the heatsink and the CPU. Is using thermal paste necessary for the CPU I have chosen?

Any other tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
February 17, 2007 4:27:46 PM

1. The manual for the CD-ROM says that there is a DATA SATA connector and Power SATA connector. The manual says that the Power SATA connector is optional if the DATA SATA connector does not supply enough power. I always thought SATA devices were powered and connected to the motherboard via one connection. I guess the safe thing to do is to just try the one connector and see what happens?

A: It means the CDROM drive has 3 connectors - 1 for SATA data, a thin red flat cable, a SATA Power and a 4 pin Molex. After putting the SATA data cable in, and plugging the other end into your mobo, you will then have a Molex splitter, which plugs into a spare 4 pin Molex from the PSU. It terminates in 2 connectors-a 4 pin molex and a thin flat black SATA Power, and you choose 1 of these, depending on which Power connector your Optical drive has. If, as you suggest, yours has both, connect the SATA and leave the Molex alternative tied back.

2. Since my motherboard is brand new and it supports SATA devices, shouldn’t I be able to attach the hard disk to SATA1 and the CD ROM to SATA2? I am using Windows XP2 for an OS. I think I only need SP1 to recognize SATA.
A: yes, you can.

3. The manual talks about an “Optional fan”. I am using a retail E6600 which comes with a fan and heatsink. Is this fan necessary? It says to only install the fan if you are using a passive or water cooler? I would think that the fan on the CPU is active, right?
A: The optional fan clips to the top of the Northbridge heaysink, for extra cooling, if required. It is optional.

4. The manual talks about a “Front Panel Audio Connector (10-1 pin AAFP). It says that the module supports either HD Audio or legacy AC ’97 audio standard. This sound to me like the connection for the speaker that is in the case?
A: see http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/asus_p5w_dh_de...

5. Lastly, when installing the processor, I seen where some users use thermal paste to create a better bond\connection between the heatsink and the CPU. Is using thermal paste necessary for the CPU I have chosen?

A: Thermal Paste is VITAL. Some CPU's come with it applied, sometimes in 3 strips. Remove the clear plastic cover from the bottom of the heatsink, make sure Thermal strips are apllied, and mate faces with CPU. Otherwise apply a grain of rice size blob of Paste to CPU top face and spread thinly, then mate with heatsink.

Good Luck with your build :D 
February 17, 2007 5:04:40 PM

I won't answer all the questions 31computers did a well job of doing that. I will say for question 1. All devices in your computer will require power to be plugged into them. I have not heard of any drives being able to power themselves over the SATA data cable. Now i could be wrong about this and if you could link your perticular CD-ROM drive we could help more from there. What it probably means is use the Data cable of course which will connect to the back of the drive then onto your motherboard via any of your sata ports. And you will need to connect the SATA power style plug into the back also. Now some drives have both a SATA power plug and a regular 4 pin Molex connector. It sounds like they want you to use the SATA power plug. But make sure to NOT use both. Doing so could damage your drive. Like i said though i am not completely sure of this but i have yet to see any internal drives (cd-rom, dvd-rom, dvd-rw, hard drives) that are able to power themselves through the data cable. If you can provide a link it would be help full.
Related resources
February 17, 2007 5:18:28 PM

Quote:
I won't answer all the questions 31computers did a well job of doing that. I will say for question 1. All devices in your computer will require power to be plugged into them. I have not heard of any drives being able to power themselves over the SATA data cable. Now i could be wrong about this and if you could link your perticular CD-ROM drive we could help more from there. What it probably means is use the Data cable of course which will connect to the back of the drive then onto your motherboard via any of your sata ports. And you will need to connect the SATA power style plug into the back also. Now some drives have both a SATA power plug and a regular 4 pin Molex connector. It sounds like they want you to use the SATA power plug. But make sure to NOT use both. Doing so could damage your drive. Like i said though i am not completely sure of this but i have yet to see any internal drives (cd-rom, dvd-rom, dvd-rw, hard drives) that are able to power themselves through the data cable. If you can provide a link it would be help full.

I agree wholeheartedly-connect SATA data and SATA power only.
February 17, 2007 6:39:40 PM

That looks like to be a pretty good drive. I was unable to find a link to download the manual on the site but the drive does only have SATA Power and SATA Data on the back. So just make sure to use the data and power cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=27%2D...

Srry for the huge link :(  . Also i forgot to mention also that if you do decide to use thermal compound on your CPU with the stock HSF make sure to clean the bottom of the stock HSF to get rid of all the heat pad/compound that it comes with it from the factory. If you don't you might have heat issues putting them both together. Hope that helps you some more.
February 18, 2007 9:05:28 PM

Thanks.

I was going to take a picture of the drive but the NewEgg photo shows the back of my drive:

Looks like I need a SATA connection to connect the drive to the motherboard and a SATA power connector.
February 18, 2007 9:10:01 PM

BTW, here is my hard drive. Looks like the same deal as the CD. One connector for the SATA and the other for power.

February 21, 2007 5:18:43 AM

Quote:
A: The optional fan clips to the top of the Northbridge heaysink, for extra cooling, if required. It is optional.

It is in fact an optional fan for the top of the VRM heatsink, not the NB.
Just wanted to correct you. :wink:
February 21, 2007 7:35:17 PM

:oops:  Dear SirDevon,

I looked up a mobo website for it, and it said:

To facilitate the thermal mode of the power supply module, as well as for active cooling of the north bridge (which is important in overclocking), the user can fit an additional fan (available in the bundle).

I must have misunderstood :oops:  :oops: 
February 21, 2007 8:11:25 PM

When you guys have discussed this topic to the end, I have a unrelated question. Seeing though you guys know the P5W DH Deluxe well, I wanted to ask if you know anything about the network setup on the board.

I've got a small home network running - works fine (1 lan cable to my laptop from mobo, other lan to my cable modem, both connect into the P5W DH). Then I installed ZoneAlarm. ZA blocks my laptop. I've tried to select the laptop's IP address and add it in my "trusted zone", but it still doesnt work. Only way I can get it to work is the close ZA each time the GF wants to use the laptop.

Do you think the network setup on the P5W DH has something to do with it?

Thanks! (again, only answer if you know and this discussion has run out of steam).
February 24, 2007 5:55:10 PM

Have you considered adding a router to the mix vs running the laptop through the PC? I don't see why your set up would not work as the motherboard does have the two ethernet ports and a wireless port.

Just an update to the other posters. Many thanks for your help. The computer is up and running. It is SUPER fast. I did upgrade from a P4 1.3gHz though so anything seems blazingly fast in comparison.

Thanks again.
!