16:9 and Sony GDM-FW900

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have an ATI 9600 running under XP Pro. Using the 6.14.10 drivers. We just
dispositioned a lot of gear at work, and I got my hands on a mint Sony
widescreen FW900. I set it up okay at 1600x1200, but I'm wondering why I
can't set it up at 1600x1024 (which the Sony supports). Can the 9600 support
this resolution, but for some reason it's not available in XP? I suspected
that maybe the 9600 just didn't support 1600x1024, so I tried 1920x1080
(true 16x9), and I got a display that I could not map entirely into the
viewable area. That is, it looked like it just took the center 40% of my
desktop and mapped it to the viewable display area, kind of like what
happens when you have a desktop across multiple displays. The problem was I
couldn't get either side back onto the FW900.

So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
possible) configuration to work with this setup?

I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.
6 answers Last reply
More about sony fw900
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    This is a question you need to explore on the ATI site.

    "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    >I have an ATI 9600 running under XP Pro. Using the 6.14.10 drivers. We just
    >dispositioned a lot of gear at work, and I got my hands on a mint Sony
    >widescreen FW900. I set it up okay at 1600x1200, but I'm wondering why I
    >can't set it up at 1600x1024 (which the Sony supports). Can the 9600
    >support this resolution, but for some reason it's not available in XP? I
    >suspected that maybe the 9600 just didn't support 1600x1024, so I tried
    >1920x1080 (true 16x9), and I got a display that I could not map entirely
    >into the viewable area. That is, it looked like it just took the center 40%
    >of my desktop and mapped it to the viewable display area, kind of like what
    >happens when you have a desktop across multiple displays. The problem was I
    >couldn't get either side back onto the FW900.
    >
    > So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
    > possible) configuration to work with this setup?
    >
    > I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    <http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm>

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card drivers
    from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers directly for
    mobile graphics...
    ChrisC
    > This is a question you need to explore on the ATI site.

    > "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an ATI 9600 running under XP Pro. Using the 6.14.10 drivers. We
    >>just dispositioned a lot of gear at work, and I got my hands on a mint
    >>Sony widescreen FW900. I set it up okay at 1600x1200, but I'm wondering
    >>why I can't set it up at 1600x1024 (which the Sony supports). Can the 9600
    >>support this resolution, but for some reason it's not available in XP? I
    >>suspected that maybe the 9600 just didn't support 1600x1024, so I tried
    >>1920x1080 (true 16x9), and I got a display that I could not map entirely
    >>into the viewable area. That is, it looked like it just took the center
    >>40% of my desktop and mapped it to the viewable display area, kind of like
    >>what happens when you have a desktop across multiple displays. The problem
    >>was I couldn't get either side back onto the FW900.
    >>
    >> So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
    >> possible) configuration to work with this setup?
    >>
    >> I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Chris Catt wrote:
    > Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card
    > drivers from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers
    > directly for mobile graphics...
    > ChrisC

    Oh look - another top posting idiot! You didn't read the OP's question at
    all, did you?! WTF did he say he was using a laptop?! The FW900 is a
    *MONITOR*! Why on earth Sony would offer drivers for a ATI graphics card
    I've absolutely no idea. You do not require the monitor file.

    on salads.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Also, I have never seen a 9600 card that small.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    > Chris Catt wrote:
    >> Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card
    >> drivers from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers
    >> directly for mobile graphics...
    >> ChrisC
    >
    > Oh look - another top posting idiot! You didn't read the OP's question at
    > all, did you?! WTF did he say he was using a laptop?! The FW900 is a
    > *MONITOR*! Why on earth Sony would offer drivers for a ATI graphics card
    > I've absolutely no idea. You do not require the monitor file.
    >
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    > Also, I have never seen a 9600 card that small.

    Huh? Not a "card" but many laptops have Radeon 9600s.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)