16:9 and Sony GDM-FW900

March 5, 2005 1:45:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have an ATI 9600 running under XP Pro. Using the 6.14.10 drivers. We just
dispositioned a lot of gear at work, and I got my hands on a mint Sony
widescreen FW900. I set it up okay at 1600x1200, but I'm wondering why I
can't set it up at 1600x1024 (which the Sony supports). Can the 9600 support
this resolution, but for some reason it's not available in XP? I suspected
that maybe the 9600 just didn't support 1600x1024, so I tried 1920x1080
(true 16x9), and I got a display that I could not map entirely into the
viewable area. That is, it looked like it just took the center 40% of my
desktop and mapped it to the viewable display area, kind of like what
happens when you have a desktop across multiple displays. The problem was I
couldn't get either side back onto the FW900.

So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
possible) configuration to work with this setup?

I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.

More about : sony gdm fw900

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

This is a question you need to explore on the ATI site.

"Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>I have an ATI 9600 running under XP Pro. Using the 6.14.10 drivers. We just
>dispositioned a lot of gear at work, and I got my hands on a mint Sony
>widescreen FW900. I set it up okay at 1600x1200, but I'm wondering why I
>can't set it up at 1600x1024 (which the Sony supports). Can the 9600
>support this resolution, but for some reason it's not available in XP? I
>suspected that maybe the 9600 just didn't support 1600x1024, so I tried
>1920x1080 (true 16x9), and I got a display that I could not map entirely
>into the viewable area. That is, it looked like it just took the center 40%
>of my desktop and mapped it to the viewable display area, kind of like what
>happens when you have a desktop across multiple displays. The problem was I
>couldn't get either side back onto the FW900.
>
> So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
> possible) configuration to work with this setup?
>
> I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:34:17 PM

<http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm&gt;

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card drivers
from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers directly for
mobile graphics...
ChrisC
> This is a question you need to explore on the ATI site.

> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I have an ATI 9600 running under XP Pro. Using the 6.14.10 drivers. We
>>just dispositioned a lot of gear at work, and I got my hands on a mint
>>Sony widescreen FW900. I set it up okay at 1600x1200, but I'm wondering
>>why I can't set it up at 1600x1024 (which the Sony supports). Can the 9600
>>support this resolution, but for some reason it's not available in XP? I
>>suspected that maybe the 9600 just didn't support 1600x1024, so I tried
>>1920x1080 (true 16x9), and I got a display that I could not map entirely
>>into the viewable area. That is, it looked like it just took the center
>>40% of my desktop and mapped it to the viewable display area, kind of like
>>what happens when you have a desktop across multiple displays. The problem
>>was I couldn't get either side back onto the FW900.
>>
>> So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
>> possible) configuration to work with this setup?
>>
>> I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:41:46 AM

Chris Catt wrote:
> Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card
> drivers from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers
> directly for mobile graphics...
> ChrisC

Oh look - another top posting idiot! You didn't read the OP's question at
all, did you?! WTF did he say he was using a laptop?! The FW900 is a
*MONITOR*! Why on earth Sony would offer drivers for a ATI graphics card
I've absolutely no idea. You do not require the monitor file.

on salads.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Also, I have never seen a 9600 card that small.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
> Chris Catt wrote:
>> Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card
>> drivers from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers
>> directly for mobile graphics...
>> ChrisC
>
> Oh look - another top posting idiot! You didn't read the OP's question at
> all, did you?! WTF did he say he was using a laptop?! The FW900 is a
> *MONITOR*! Why on earth Sony would offer drivers for a ATI graphics card
> I've absolutely no idea. You do not require the monitor file.
>
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 12:53:14 PM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:

> Also, I have never seen a 9600 card that small.

Huh? Not a "card" but many laptops have Radeon 9600s.

--
!