Sign in with
Your question

8800GTS 320 worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2007 3:43:13 PM

Hey everyone.

Back in November I purchased a 7900GS for $170, and noticed the recent release of an 8800GTS 320mb that's only $300. I was wondering about what your opinions are on it - is the step up worth it? I'd like to hear from you guys soon, as my step-up window closes in 10 days.

To my dismay TG doesn't have benchmarks on the 8800GTS 320 (probably because its still on backorder, but that's all right).

Also while we're talking about that, do you think I'd have any issues using this motherboard with the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

More about : 8800gts 320 worth

February 17, 2007 4:10:57 PM

Yeah. Any way you look at the 320 version, it's a sufficient step up for the money. 40 to 50fps gains - without massive anti-alaising and high resolutions; this is where the 320 falls short. Yet compared to the 79GS, absolutely.

Intels mainboards are very stable. Don't plan on overclocking the ram or CPU. You shouldn't problems running the 8800 on it; however secondary manufacturers boards allow overclocking which is nice to have. Overclocking the CPU will help your GPU when you run into heavy games.
February 17, 2007 4:44:01 PM

its not worth it at all. Dont be conned by the "revolutionary DX10". If u want a good DX10 card get the 8800 GTX. If you want a great card overall get the Ati x1950 xtx. It will play anything better than the 320 that is out today. and 512mb can handle more objects onscreen than 320mb by far.
Related resources
February 17, 2007 4:48:05 PM

Yeah, but the whole reason for considering the 8800GTS is because money is an issue.

The only step-up options I have from my 7900GS are the 8800 series cards, and the only one that I have enough money for at the moment is the 8800GTS 320mb. I mean, I could TRY to get the 8800GTS 640 but it's nearly impossible to do.
February 17, 2007 5:09:24 PM

i understand. try the x1950pro instead
February 17, 2007 5:11:04 PM

Well, I'm not too keen on buying a new card either. If I have to, I'll stick with the 7900GS as it has served me well. However, I want to be able to have my card last me a while and figure I might as well take advantage of the step-up program while I can.
February 17, 2007 5:30:56 PM

Quote:
I want to be able to have my card last me a while and figure I might as well take advantage of the step-up program while I can.

Then you should wait for a while; the R600 debut in chance nV will go about a 8800 price-drop. *fingers crossed* Got a 88GTS 640 in my sites also
February 17, 2007 6:32:38 PM

Quote:

no you don't understand, he is doing a step up program (from evga i am guessing) An x1950pro IS NOT AN OPTION.

Quote:
Then you should wait for a while; the R600 debut in chance nV will go about a 8800 price-drop. *fingers crossed* Got a 88GTS 640 in my sites also

he can't wait for a while, his step up is only for 10 more days.

Did you people even read the post?

Seriously, he says he has 10 days to decide whether to step up to an 8800gts. And your guys advice is... Buy an x1950xtx! and Wait for a while! wtf?

I say go for it man, the 8800 gts is a great card imo. What resolutions do you game at and what games do you play?
February 17, 2007 6:42:45 PM

Quote:

Whether it is worth it to use your upgrade in the next ten days, I think it would depend on what games you play and at what resolutions.

I concur.
February 17, 2007 6:46:06 PM

The 8800 GTS 320MB is a great card, take advantage of the step up while you can.

"ts not worth it at all. Dont be conned by the "revolutionary DX10". If u want a good DX10 card get the 8800 GTX. If you want a great card overall get the Ati x1950 xtx. It will play anything better than the 320 that is out today. and 512mb can handle more objects onscreen than 320mb by far."

This is total rubbish, DX10 is not a con, it's a huge advancement in graphical tech that hasn't burst through yet, but it will and when the games become avaiable people will be ditchcing their old DX9 cards as ffast as they can.

The XTX is dead, is overpriced old tech.

It's not quicker than any 880 card either.

Please don't waste a ton of money on old tech.
February 17, 2007 7:00:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Any way you look at the 320 version, it's a sufficient step up for the money. 40 to 50fps gains - without massive anti-alaising and high resolutions; this is where the 320 falls short. Yet compared to the 79GS, absolutely.

Considering the step-up program, it's much worth taking advantage of the 320mb.
February 17, 2007 8:04:12 PM

There we go - these are the kinds of helpful replies I've been looking for. Thanks guys.

Currently I only own a 17" monitor but I am saving up for a 1920x1080p LCD HDTV to play games on after that.

I mostly play Battlefield 2142 at the moment, but I do play HL2 and will buy Portal and TF2 when those come out (if they ever do). I am also looking into Crysis and UT2007 as those look quite awesome.

I mean so far my 7900GS has given me flawless performance, I just don't want to have to upgrade for a while. If you think the 7900GS will perform fine at 1920x1080 on most of these games, then I don't see a real need to upgrade. But if you think it will begin stuggling after a while it might be best to jump in and upgrade to a newer card now.

I'm 99% sure that this PSU is more than enough - but here's a link anyway: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Also, too many times have I heard (and made) jokes about the monstrosities that are the 8800-series cards. How do you this case will perform? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Thanks so much guys, your replies have been insightful and extremely helpful!
February 17, 2007 8:07:09 PM

I have that case and love it. And I believe a GTS will fit in it just fine.
February 18, 2007 6:36:58 AM

for 130$, I would step up from the 7900GS to the 320MB 8800GTS without hesitation.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 6:58:03 AM

Quote:
If you want a great card overall get the Ati x1950 xtx. It will play anything better than the 320 that is out today. and 512mb can handle more objects onscreen than 320mb by far.

8O what?
February 18, 2007 7:54:02 AM

Quote:

no you don't understand, he is doing a step up program (from evga i am guessing) An x1950pro IS NOT AN OPTION.
You put it more politely then I would've managed. It would seem there is evolution in the process - humans are acquiring the attention spans of a goldfish. Go figure.

Anyhow, back to the topic. Here are some extra benchmarks, for what good it'll do: http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6165714/index.html
February 18, 2007 12:28:52 PM

It would be a possibility to upgrade to a different card in the future as well, though.

I'm still having trouble deciding whether I want to jump in the boat now and get it, or wait for other things, like R600 and G81+ to appear in the next year or so.

Basically I'm trying to aim for the best solution that will last me the longest.

Once again, thanks guys for your help. And those benchmarks are quite convincing - those resolutions and they're running those at so smoothly are incredible.
February 18, 2007 1:10:04 PM

I'd be tempted to wait i think. That step-up is a cracking deal, but im not too sure how the GTS will handle 1920x1080 - especially with dx10 games, as they arent out yet. I'd hate you to get a new card then realise a few months down the line that you need ANOTHER new card to play at your preferred res.

Perhaps it might be better to save your monies and wait until you've got your HDTV, then see what cards are out then.
February 18, 2007 1:13:30 PM

yeah, i agree with that. DX9 games i can definetly imagine are considerably less demanding than yet to be released DX10 games will be. so holding off for that reason alone may be a good idea.
February 18, 2007 1:48:20 PM

your powersupply should definately handle it.
February 18, 2007 1:49:22 PM

I'm just going to be another to chip in that the 320Mb card is hot as hell at 300 bucks. It's a huge jump from a 7900GTX, and in a year or so that 7900GS will be confined to low res, low quality, whereas the 8800 GTS will still have room to breath.

I would jump all over it if I could, especially considering the Step-up program.
February 18, 2007 2:12:11 PM

Dee dee dee!
:oops:  :oops:  :oops: 
February 18, 2007 2:27:24 PM

Quote:
If you want a great card overall get the Ati x1950 xtx. It will play anything better than the 320 that is out today. and 512mb can handle more objects onscreen than 320mb by far.

8O what?

i was reading a guide in a magazine a month ago and that idiot who wrote it said : The best card we advise you to get right now is the 1950XTX.nVidia has the 8800 in the market but at their best are as good as 1950 XTX if not slower...
Then i was blinded and couldnt read anymore :lol: 
February 18, 2007 2:34:39 PM

Haha. I wonder how much ATi paid them to stuff that in their magazine. :lol: 

Has anyone seen any benchmarks of how the 7900GS performs at 1920x1080?
February 18, 2007 3:08:05 PM

Had the same problem, upgraded from a 7900GS and I bought the same card and apart from driver problems its been flawless. I also play at 1280x1024 and I can max every detail. IMO that res is too low to worry about memory size if its greater than 256MB.

I would get the card, you wont look back
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 3:28:54 PM

Quote:

i was reading a guide in a magazine a month ago and that idiot who wrote it said : The best card we advise you to get right now is the 1950XTX.nVidia has the 8800 in the market but at their best are as good as 1950 XTX if not slower...
Then i was blinded and couldnt read anymore :lol: 

So the lesson your learned is that magazines' 2-3 month lead time makes them useless for hardware reviews. Right?

Welcome to 2 years ago. :wink:

I used to read MaximumPC, CPU, etc. but for a very long time, they've been way behind the curve of THG (let alone theInQ/DigitalDaily/VR-Zone, etc.), because they don't get much of a heads'-up about new products (because magazines leak info) so by the time it's tested, reviewed, printed and shipped to the store you're reading last quarter's news and 2 months old news at best.

Main reason to get your breaking tech info online. Wired and such still have the best social and way in the future prognostication info, but neither of those are as time sensitive.

Quote:
Haha. I wonder how much ATi paid them to stuff that in their magazine. Laughing

Probably the same nV paid to say PureVideo was better than AVIVO in the era after the 5.13 drivers which flipped the roles. That was in many magazines until Spring of last year months after it changed. It's not about them paying, it's about the time it takes for magazines to get the info to the reader. Also they get no earl samples now because half the time both ATi and nV are working up until launch month to get the drivers and final clock speeds set.

Lesson learned, magazines are way behind the curve only read them for social content.
February 18, 2007 3:39:52 PM

Quote:
Wired and such still have the best social and way in the future prognostication info, but neither of those are as time sensitive.

Instantanious to a point. Can be faster than the speed that 911 hit TVs. You figure, the source releases it on a .com and within 3 minutes one or two slobbering eat my macaroni out of the pan multi-tabbed browsing auto reload set on 15 seconds copy and paste whore tech news junkies have it on a messageboard.
...yeah, alright - I'm one of em'.
February 18, 2007 3:53:48 PM

Quote:
its not worth it at all. Dont be conned by the "revolutionary DX10". If u want a good DX10 card get the 8800 GTX. If you want a great card overall get the Ati x1950 xtx. It will play anything better than the 320 that is out today. and 512mb can handle more objects onscreen than 320mb by far.

>> get the Ati x1950 xtx

eww... You'd be crazy to buy a DX9-only card now.
February 18, 2007 4:32:44 PM

if the step up is free, then why buy a different card... do the step up
February 18, 2007 4:54:57 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone.

Back in November I purchased a 7900GS for $170, and noticed the recent release of an 8800GTS 320mb that's only $300. I was wondering about what your opinions are on it - is the step up worth it? I'd like to hear from you guys soon, as my step-up window closes in 10 days.

To my dismay TG doesn't have benchmarks on the 8800GTS 320 (probably because its still on backorder, but that's all right).

Also while we're talking about that, do you think I'd have any issues using this motherboard with the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I'd deffo go with it. The GTS320 performs almost identical to teh 640mb version.
February 18, 2007 5:08:16 PM

If your 7900GS has served you flawlessly until now, why would want to upgrade? At least give it a chance to prove what it's worth with the next generation games, and if it proves dreadful, which I doubt, then upgrade. By that time, even better cards should be available for that price.
February 18, 2007 5:24:57 PM

Quote:
I mean so far my 7900GS has given me flawless performance, I just don't want to have to upgrade for a while. If you think the 7900GS will perform fine at 1920x1080 on most of these games, then I don't see a real need to upgrade. But if you think it will begin stuggling after a while it might be best to jump in and upgrade to a newer card now.

I'm 99% sure that this PSU is more than enough - but here's a link anyway: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

For my 2 cents worth, since you have the short time of availability of the step up program, I'd buy the best 8800 series that I could, and if the 8800 GTS 320 is the best you can afford, then I'd go for that. It will really help if you go to a bigger moniter, compared to the 7900GS.

As to the psu, I'd look for something over 600wt, preferably in the 650wt-700wt area. These may seem larger than necessary, but will allow more room for hardware expansion in the future without buying another psu.
a c 157 U Graphics card
a c 174 V Motherboard
February 18, 2007 5:45:11 PM

Quote:
If your 7900GS has served you flawlessly until now, why would want to upgrade? At least give it a chance to prove what it's worth with the next generation games, and if it proves dreadful, which I doubt, then upgrade. By that time, even better cards should be available for that price.

I agree with this line of thinking. See how the 7900GS performs at the higher resolution of your new LCD TV (when you get it) and in upcoming games you want to play (when you get them). I'm also playing the waiting game with my 7800GS

-Wolf sends
February 18, 2007 6:07:40 PM

Quote:

This is very sound reasoning, but considering the Step Up program on the line, going to an 8800GTS for 130 bucks is a better deal than anything coming up in the next few months.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 6:40:29 PM

Exactly.

IMO, jump on the GTS deal, it's unlikely you will reach a points where you can sell your old card and buy a new card for the same difference before the new titles come out.

Also you get to enjoy added AA levels, and many other features that the GF8800 in the meantime instead of waiting for that enjoyment, just think of the JOY!
Especially the joy of a fresh new card, MMMmmmm Joyous !! :mrgreen:
February 18, 2007 6:44:59 PM

Quote:
So the lesson your learned is that magazines' 2-3 month lead time makes them useless for hardware reviews. Right?
Lesson learned, magazines are way behind the curve only read them for social content.

I`m talking about a January issue here man 8O they surely had that info for at least a month.
Anyway , the only reason i buy magazines is because its the best friend for bathroom if you know what i mean :lol:  .The best way to get info is indeed online but you have to be careful sometimes because you can read the same BS there too.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 7:01:21 PM

Quote:

I`m talking about a January issue here man 8O they surely had that info for at least a month.

Dude, I could buy the March issue of CPU and MaximumPC over a week ago about Vista tweaks, so if it was the 'January issue' then it was on the shelves in December that's when you calculate your 2-3month lead times. And depending on the magazine it can be on the long end of that. So either they were reviewing in early October or September about a month or more before the GF8800 launch. Unfortunately that's the fate of them, and I loved reading magazine, from my days with the early Byte magazine, but now the only one still worth reading in print for me is Wired.

Quote:
Anyway , the only reason i buy magazines is because its the best friend for bathroom if you know what i mean :lol:  .

I replaced them with these;
http://www.bathroomreader.com/

Quote:
The best way to get info is indeed online but you have to be careful sometimes because you can read the same BS there too.

True but after a while you know what to trust and what to avoid. And then others are just fodder for discussion with their 50/50 accuracy, like the InQ.

But looking for new gear always go to the online reviews, from THG, XbitLabs, [H], TechReport, Digit-Life, etc.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 8:40:26 PM

I'd step up to the 320MB GTS if I were him. Very impressive $300 card. If I hadn't bought this iceQ X1950XT I would have grabbed an eVGA superclock 320MB GTS from ZZF right now for $305 shipped bundled with Dark Messiah.
February 18, 2007 8:42:34 PM

would it be ackward if i said I go through bathroom readers to fast?
February 18, 2007 10:13:42 PM

absolutley dude! no doubt...8800 is an awesome deal!!!
February 19, 2007 12:48:40 AM

Quote:

This is very sound reasoning, but considering the Step Up program on the line, going to an 8800GTS for 130 bucks is a better deal than anything coming up in the next few months.

+1 on that

it's a no-brainer... come on... 130$ for a 320MB GTS, go for it
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 1:29:27 AM

Quote:
would it be ackward if i said I go through bathroom readers to fast?

Not unless I lived in the same house with ya'! :evil: 

They are addictive, and it's one of those things where they definitely lengthen your stay because it's not like you wanna get up mid-story.

I was just dissapointed the Absolutely Absorbing Australia and NewZealand, was only about 20% Oz-NZ, and then the other 80% was the same as the plain AA I already owned. I thought it would've been a great momento from my trip, but really just a repeat of one I already owned. Little repeat value in them for me, I remember them too well.

But they are frickin' great though, and yeah it's kinda amazing that you finish them so quickly until you go to the store and see there's already a new one waiting there for you so it must be just right (I haven't finished 17 yet and already 18 is out so I must be behind schedule, but then again I was away for a month, so... maybe that's it :lol:  )
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 1:32:14 AM

As a trade-up yeah easily worth it.

Just a sweet deal right now going from any recent X-mas present to the GF8800GTS-320 IMO (unless it's a downgrade from a 640 or GTX of course :twisted: ).

No matter what there'll always be something else out there, but if we need it right near launch day eVGA's step-up is a good idea, if it's furtherout not so mch, because then NewEgg is usually a better deal after you sell your card (which is a bit of a hassle though).
February 19, 2007 2:58:19 AM

Do all cards come with a trade-up program... how do you get that?
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 3:08:01 AM

Only eVGA cards, and only the ones eVGA puts on their available list (usuely most come fairly quickly, but obviously they reserve the right to withold upgrade at launch if they are short produt).

If you read eVGA's info it details the avail & restrictions.
February 19, 2007 10:24:09 AM

Sorry , it was the February issue ,i got it end of January , my mistake.
But this doesnt change anything.I believe magazines have a delay of 1,5-2 months max.Cant be longer than that and they have online info as well.Its a lot easier to fill it than it was 10 years ago.
February 19, 2007 1:03:38 PM

With the step-up program, I'd say it's definitely worth it. In most cases it's silly to wait to buy hardware because no matter how long you wait, there will always be some brilliant new product almost on the horizon. Get it now, enjoy it, and upgrade when you need to. It's a solid card and IMO should last you a pretty good while.
February 19, 2007 1:28:23 PM

Not worth it. I see the 8800 GTS 320 for like $289 with rebate, and even then its not worth it lol Just save your money and get a 8900 or something when it comes out, your card is still fine for now. :) 
!