Exchange not authenticating

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a WinXP Prof client trying to authenticate to Exchange through a
Cisco VPN 3.0

I can connect and authenticate to all network resources with the exception
of Exchange...it doesn't utilize the integrated single-sign-on that it
normally used to. What I notice in my services applet is that IPSec service
stops upon authentication of the VPN...could that have something to do with
it?

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

--
_____
DC G

    If you are using the Outlook 2003 client, change authentication security in
    Outlook from Kerberos/NTLM to just NTLM.

    "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    >I have a WinXP Prof client trying to authenticate to Exchange through a
    > Cisco VPN 3.0
    >
    > I can connect and authenticate to all network resources with the exception
    > of Exchange...it doesn't utilize the integrated single-sign-on that it
    > normally used to. What I notice in my services applet is that IPSec
    > service
    > stops upon authentication of the VPN...could that have something to do
    > with
    > it?
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
    >
    > --
    > _____
    > DC G

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Nope, Outlook 2002...

    _____
    DC G

    "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > If you are using the Outlook 2003 client, change authentication security
    in
    > Outlook from Kerberos/NTLM to just NTLM.
    >
    > "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    > >I have a WinXP Prof client trying to authenticate to Exchange through a
    > > Cisco VPN 3.0
    > >
    > > I can connect and authenticate to all network resources with the
    exception
    > > of Exchange...it doesn't utilize the integrated single-sign-on that it
    > > normally used to. What I notice in my services applet is that IPSec
    > > service
    > > stops upon authentication of the VPN...could that have something to do
    > > with
    > > it?
    > >
    > > Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
    > >
    > > --
    > > _____
    > > DC G

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Have you verified that DNS/WINS name resolution is working OK for the VPN
    client? (use NSLOOKUP and NBTSTAT to verify each.)

    > Nope, Outlook 2002...
    >
    > _____
    > DC G
    >
    > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> If you are using the Outlook 2003 client, change authentication security
    > in
    >> Outlook from Kerberos/NTLM to just NTLM.
    >>
    >> "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have a WinXP Prof client trying to authenticate to Exchange through a
    >> > Cisco VPN 3.0
    >> >
    >> > I can connect and authenticate to all network resources with the
    > exception
    >> > of Exchange...it doesn't utilize the integrated single-sign-on that it
    >> > normally used to. What I notice in my services applet is that IPSec
    >> > service
    >> > stops upon authentication of the VPN...could that have something to do
    >> > with
    >> > it?
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > _____
    >> > DC G

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I have had some DNS issues, but only involving a couple of servers that are
    co-located through another separate VPN.

    What check do you want me to do, specifically with nslookup and nbtstat?

    _____

    > Have you verified that DNS/WINS name resolution is working OK for the VPN
    > client? (use NSLOOKUP and NBTSTAT to verify each.)
    >
    > "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    > > Nope, Outlook 2002...
    > >
    > > _____
    > > DC G
    > >
    > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> If you are using the Outlook 2003 client, change authentication
    security
    > > in
    > >> Outlook from Kerberos/NTLM to just NTLM.
    > >>
    > >> "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message

    > > exception

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    It appears to be working correctly...

    nbtstat -r gives me:

    Resolved By Broadcast = 0
    Resolved By Name Server = 5

    Registered by Broadcast = 10
    Registered By Name Server = 7

    nslookup mymachine gives me:

    (on the LAN)
    Server: abc-share1.company.net
    Address: 10.0.0.65

    (on the VPN)
    Name: mymachine.company.net
    Address: 10.0.2.167

    _____
    DC G

    "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Have you verified that DNS/WINS name resolution is working OK for the VPN
    > client? (use NSLOOKUP and NBTSTAT to verify each.)
    >
    > "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    > > Nope, Outlook 2002...
    > >
    > > _____
    > > DC G
    > >
    > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> If you are using the Outlook 2003 client, change authentication
    security
    > > in
    > >> Outlook from Kerberos/NTLM to just NTLM.
    > >>
    > >> "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message

    > > exception

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    connect to the network via vpn and then do the following.

    nbtstat -a <exchange server name>
    nbtstat -A <ip address of exchange server>

    nslookup -q=A <exchange server name>
    nslookup -q=A <fqdn.exchange.server.name>

    basically what we are looking for is to see if anything comes back on a
    secondary interface that says not found or slow name resolution. By the
    way, you didn't mention what version of Exchange is in use, so if it is
    Exchange 200x, then do the same tests above with the name of the global
    catalog server(s).

    > It appears to be working correctly...
    >
    > nbtstat -r gives me:
    >
    > Resolved By Broadcast = 0
    > Resolved By Name Server = 5
    >
    > Registered by Broadcast = 10
    > Registered By Name Server = 7
    >
    > nslookup mymachine gives me:
    >
    > (on the LAN)
    > Server: abc-share1.company.net
    > Address: 10.0.0.65
    >
    > (on the VPN)
    > Name: mymachine.company.net
    > Address: 10.0.2.167
    >
    > _____
    > DC G
    >
    > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Have you verified that DNS/WINS name resolution is working OK for the VPN
    >> client? (use NSLOOKUP and NBTSTAT to verify each.)
    >>
    >> "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    >> > Nope, Outlook 2002...
    >> >
    >> > _____
    >> > DC G
    >> >
    >> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > security
    >> > in

    >> > exception
    > it
    > do

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Ok, here goes:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    H:\>nbtstat -a chq-exchange

    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [10.0.1.108] Scope Id: []

    NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

    Name Type Status
    HQ-EXCHANGE <20> UNIQUE Registered
    HQ-EXCHANGE <00> UNIQUE Registered

    MAC Address = xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

    H:\>nbtstat -A 10.0.0.8

    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [10.0.1.108] Scope Id: []

    NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

    Name Type Status
    HQ-EXCHANGE <20> UNIQUE Registered
    HQ-EXCHANGE <00> UNIQUE Registered

    MAC Address = xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

    H:\>nslookup -q=A hq-exchange
    Server: hq-share1.company.net
    Address: 10.0.0.65

    Name: hq-exchange.company.net
    Address: 10.0.0.8

    H:\>nslookup -q=A hq-exchange.company.net

    > connect to the network via vpn and then do the following.
    >
    > nbtstat -a <exchange server name>
    > nbtstat -A <ip address of exchange server>
    >
    > nslookup -q=A <exchange server name>
    > nslookup -q=A <fqdn.exchange.server.name>
    >
    > basically what we are looking for is to see if anything comes back on a
    > secondary interface that says not found or slow name resolution. By the
    > way, you didn't mention what version of Exchange is in use, so if it is
    > Exchange 200x, then do the same tests above with the name of the global
    > catalog server(s).
    >
    > "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    > > It appears to be working correctly...
    > >
    > > nbtstat -r gives me:
    > >
    > > Resolved By Broadcast = 0
    > > Resolved By Name Server = 5
    > >
    > > Registered by Broadcast = 10
    > > Registered By Name Server = 7
    > >
    > > nslookup mymachine gives me:
    > >
    > > (on the LAN)
    > > Server: abc-share1.company.net
    > > Address: 10.0.0.65
    > >
    > > (on the VPN)
    > > Name: mymachine.company.net
    > > Address: 10.0.2.167
    > >
    > > _____
    > > DC G
    > >
    > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Have you verified that DNS/WINS name resolution is working OK for the
    VPN
    > >> client? (use NSLOOKUP and NBTSTAT to verify each.)
    > >>
    > >> "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message

    > > security

    > > it
    IPSec
    > > do

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Neo, here is my netdiag as well:

    C:\Program Files\Support Tools>netdiag

    ....................................^C
    C:\Program Files\Support Tools>netdiag

    Computer Name: CIL-132
    DNS Host Name: CIL-132.company.net
    System info : Windows 2000 Professional (Build 2600)
    Processor : x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
    List of installed hotfixes :
    KB823559
    KB828741
    KB833407
    KB833987
    KB835732
    KB841533
    KB873376
    KB887822
    Q147222
    Q323255
    Q329115

    Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] The net card 'RAS Async Adapter' may not be working because it
    has
    not received any packets.
    GetStats failed for 'Infrared Port'. [ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED]
    [WARNING] The net card 'SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port' may not be
    working be
    cause it has not received any packets.

    Per interface results:

    Adapter : Local Area Connection

    Netcard queries test . . . : Passed

    Host Name. . . . . . . . . : CIL-132
    IP Address . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.108
    Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway. . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    Primary WINS Server. . . . : 10.0.0.56
    Secondary WINS Server. . . : 10.0.0.65
    Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.65
    10.0.0.56

    AutoConfiguration results. . . . . . : Passed

    Default gateway test . . . : Passed

    NetBT name test. . . . . . : Passed

    WINS service test. . . . . : Passed

    Global results:

    Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed

    NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
    List of NetBt transports currently configured:
    NetBT_Tcpip_{835C0C29-41D5-4784-80B8-FC860CFF960C}
    1 NetBt transport currently configured.

    Autonet address test . . . . . . . : Passed

    IP loopback ping test. . . . . . . : Passed

    NetBT name test. . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Passed
    List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir
    NetBT_Tcpip_{835C0C29-41D5-4784-80B8-FC860CFF960C}
    The redir is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

    List of NetBt transports currently bound to the browser
    NetBT_Tcpip_{835C0C29-41D5-4784-80B8-FC860CFF960C}
    The browser is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

    DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Passed

    DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Passed
    Secure channel for domain 'company_HQ' is to '\\hq-ADMIN.company.net'.

    Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [FATAL] Kerberos does not have a ticket for
    host/CIL-132.company.net.

    LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC
    'hq-share1129a.company.n
    et'.
    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC
    'hq-share2.company.net'.

    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC
    'hq-share1.company.net'.

    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC 'hq-avsms.company.net'.
    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC
    'hq-share1129b.company.n
    et'.
    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC 'hq-ADMIN.company.net'.
    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC 'hq-dc1.company.net'.

    Bindings test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    WAN configuration test . . . . . . : Skipped
    No active remote access connections.

    Modem diagnostics test . . . . . . : Passed

    IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Service status is: Started
    Service startup is: Automatic
    IPSec service is available, but no policy is assigned or active
    Note: run "ipseccmd /?" for more detailed information

    The command completed successfully

Microsoft Exchange Windows