Anyone familiar witht the RCA HD50LPW162

Hello all,

It's a 61 Inch DLP Rear projection LCD. with a 2 year warranty on Units +
Bulb
Need info fast since I am about to purchase (My TV blew up 3 days ago)

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Guy Deschênes
President/CEO

mailto:Guy@hermes-computers.ca

Hermes Computers & ISP Inc.
123-B Rusholme Rd
Toronto, ONT
Canada, M6H 2Y6

TEL:416-535-7396

http://www.hermes-computers.ca

Our services include:
- On-location support for desktop operating systems and applications
- Network installation, troubleshooting and auditing
- Server installation, maintenance, service and management
- Web site design, e-mail hosting services
- High-speed DSL and cable Internet access solutions
- Security audits with Firewall setup and Spyware detection & removal
- Anti-Virus protection setup, support and emergency virus cleaning
- Custom-built and brand name computers, components & peripherals
- Repairs to computers & Laser printers

"Solutions to Computer Problems are our Business"
20 answers Last reply
More about anyone familiar witht hd50lpw162

    Hermes Computers wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > It's a 61 Inch DLP Rear projection LCD

    Is it a DLP or an LCD?

    --
    David G.

    David G. wrote:

    > Hermes Computers wrote:

    > Is it a DLP or an LCD?

    The Model number is for the 50" set and the OP said he was interested in
    the 61" set???

    Jerry

    Jsheldon wrote:
    > David G. wrote:
    >
    >> Hermes Computers wrote:
    >
    >> Is it a DLP or an LCD?
    >
    > The Model number is for the 50" set and the OP said he was interested
    > in the 61" set???
    >
    > Jerry

    So he's doubly confused...

    --
    David G.

    50" DLP, check out the Hitachi, Sony, Samsung, Etc in the same price range.

    David G. wrote:

    > So he's doubly confused...

    Apparently!

    Sorry My Mistake. I have a quote for both the 50 & 61 Inch but the price
    are reversed..... I missed that when I wrote the post
    Correct model number is HD61lpw162

    Thanks for pointing it out.

    "Jsheldon" <jsheldonNOTTTHIS@his.com> wrote in message

    > David G. wrote:
    >
    > > Hermes Computers wrote:
    >
    > > Is it a DLP or an LCD?
    >
    > The Model number is for the 50" set and the OP said he was interested in
    > the 61" set???
    >
    > Jerry

    OK OK.... It is a 61 inch Rear projection LCD with DLP...?

    I haven't seen it myself since it is so far a cathalog purchase. I am
    looking for a Thompson/RCA showroom in the Toronto area to actually view it.
    Any information would help

    > David G. wrote:
    >
    > > So he's doubly confused...
    >
    > Apparently!

    It is a DLP my Appologies..

    Guy

    > Hermes Computers wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > It's a 61 Inch DLP Rear projection LCD
    >
    > Is it a DLP or an LCD?
    >
    > --
    > David G.

    You are right

    It is a DLP and the model number stated is for a 51" unit and not the 61" I
    am interested in...

    Guy

    "Jsheldon" <jsheldonNOTTTHIS@his.com> wrote in message

    > David G. wrote:
    >
    > > Hermes Computers wrote:
    >
    > > Is it a DLP or an LCD?
    >
    > The Model number is for the 50" set and the OP said he was interested in
    > the 61" set???
    >
    > Jerry

    Very Much confused...

    Hermes Computers wrote:
    > OK OK.... It is a 61 inch Rear projection LCD with DLP...?
    >
    > I haven't seen it myself since it is so far a cathalog purchase. I am
    > looking for a Thompson/RCA showroom in the Toronto area to actually
    > view it. Any information would help
    >

    > "Jsheldon" <jsheldonNOTTTHIS@his.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> David G. wrote:
    >>
    >>> So he's doubly confused...
    >>
    >> Apparently!

    DLP and LCD are two different technologies. It is a DLP set. I assume
    it's based on the HD2 DMD from TI. There are newer HD2+ and HD3 chipsets
    reaching the market as I write this. If it uses the HD2, I would
    recommend you look at any DLP sets using the HD3 chipset as that is more
    affordable than the HD2+ (naming is confusing). Unless you are getting a
    great deal, that is.

    --
    David G.

    You are right David it is a DLP set... I thought DLP was some chip upgrade
    to LCD Technlology. I did however update my understanding overnight...
    thanks to the Internet.
    As for the HD2+ or HD3 chipset.... Mmmm.... How to find out which one it
    is?

    Guy

    Hermes Computers wrote:
    >> DLP and LCD are two different technologies. It is a DLP set. I assume
    >> it's based on the HD2 DMD from TI. There are newer HD2+ and HD3
    >> chipsets reaching the market as I write this. If it uses the HD2, I
    >> would recommend you look at any DLP sets using the HD3 chipset as
    >> that is more affordable than the HD2+ (naming is confusing). Unless
    >> you are getting a great deal, that is.
    >>

    >> --
    >> David G.
    > You are right David it is a DLP set... I thought DLP was some chip
    > upgrade to LCD Technlology. I did however update my understanding
    > overnight... thanks to the Internet.
    > As for the HD2+ or HD3 chipset.... Mmmm.... How to find out which
    > one it is?
    >
    > Guy

    I don't think it is either. Probably the older HD2 chipset. I would try
    and download the manual from the RCA web site. If not, I would call RCA
    and ask them directly.

    --
    David G.

    Hermes Computers wrote:
    > As for the HD2+ or HD3 chipset.... Mmmm.... How to find out which one it
    > is?

    It is an HD2+

    Guy. Goggle the Model number - you'll get three his and answers to lots
    of your questions. I've never seen the set, however it sure looks like
    it has lots of whistles and bells.

    "The HD61LPW163 is a Digital Cable Ready HDTV set that includes secure
    digital connections utilizing the High Definition Multimedia Interface
    (HDMI) with HDCP copy protection offering the ability to connect to a
    set-top device and receive digital and audio signals on one small cable.
    The HD61LPW163 also includes dual two-way DTVLink (1394) secure digital
    interfaces for recording compressed digital signals with a
    high-definition recording device. The RCA HD61LPW163 also features the
    innovative "floating picture" design and includes an optical digital
    audio surround sound system with audio from the built-in digital
    tuner/decoder. " It goes on.

    Jerry

    Jsheldon wrote:

    > It is an HD2+
    In fact, you can download the entire instruction manual from RCA at
    http://tinyurl.com/48tta

    Jerry

    Jsheldon wrote:
    > Hermes Computers wrote:
    >> As for the HD2+ or HD3 chipset.... Mmmm.... How to find out which
    >> one it is?
    >
    > It is an HD2+
    >
    > Guy. Goggle the Model number - you'll get three his and answers to
    > lots of your questions. I've never seen the set, however it sure
    > looks like it has lots of whistles and bells.
    >
    > "The HD61LPW163 is a Digital Cable Ready HDTV set that includes secure
    > digital connections utilizing the High Definition Multimedia Interface
    > (HDMI) with HDCP copy protection offering the ability to connect to a
    > set-top device and receive digital and audio signals on one small
    > cable. The HD61LPW163 also includes dual two-way DTVLink (1394)
    > secure digital interfaces for recording compressed digital signals
    > with a high-definition recording device. The RCA HD61LPW163 also
    > features the innovative "floating picture" design and includes an
    > optical digital audio surround sound system with audio from the
    > built-in digital tuner/decoder. " It goes on.
    >
    > Jerry

    Just a question: I checked the manual and the web pages on the RCA site
    and didn't see mention of the HD2+ chipset. Can you point me to the page
    where you saw this mentioned.

    Thanks.

    --
    David G.

    David G. wrote:

    > Just a question: I checked the manual and the web pages on the RCA site
    > and didn't see mention of the HD2+ chipset. Can you point me to the page
    > where you saw this mentioned.

    David,

    From that Google:

    http://www.video-direct.com/rca/dlptv/rca-hd61lpw163.html

    and

    http://www.amroyal.com/sections/product.asp?PID=1552&Brand=

    And now I must apologize. I searched on the wrong model. (The last
    digit being a 3 rather than the OP's 2)

    For the OP's correct Model Number,

    http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HD61LPW162&Category_Code=RCADLPTV
    http://tinyurl.com/3nxmw

    This link says the 162 is also HD2+ Seems about a $200 difference
    between the two models - not sure of the differences in hardware.

    I can not find any reference at the RCA site.

    Jerry

    Jsheldon wrote:
    > David G. wrote:
    >
    >> Just a question: I checked the manual and the web pages on the RCA
    >> site and didn't see mention of the HD2+ chipset. Can you point me to
    >> the page where you saw this mentioned.
    >
    > David,
    >
    > From that Google:
    >
    > http://www.video-direct.com/rca/dlptv/rca-hd61lpw163.html
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.amroyal.com/sections/product.asp?PID=1552&Brand=
    >
    > And now I must apologize. I searched on the wrong model. (The last
    > digit being a 3 rather than the OP's 2)
    >
    > For the OP's correct Model Number,

    http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HD61LPW162&Category_Code=RCADLPTV
    > http://tinyurl.com/3nxmw
    >
    > This link says the 162 is also HD2+ Seems about a $200 difference
    > between the two models - not sure of the differences in hardware.
    >
    > I can not find any reference at the RCA site.
    >
    > Jerry

    Ok. Thanks.

    I'm surprised RCA doesn't mention it anywhere.

    --
    David G.

    I've had mine for three months. And have had no problems. Beautiful
    Picture.....Allot of settings...allot of connections. Right now I have a
    Bravo DVD connected to DVI . Cable HDTV connected with Component (also tried
    iLink and DVI, both good), Xbox connected with Component. And am using the
    Tuner for OTA Digital. I am very pleased. Also connected to the Internet and
    using the remote keyboard...this is functional but not great....uses Windows
    CE. Cannot stream video / mp3 and it is a bit difficult to pull images from
    a local server. I also have a 2 yr deal on the bulb. It does not look
    difficult to replace. There is a high and lower bulb intensity setting
    .....There is a subtle difference in brightness between the two settings, but
    the lower setting should increase the bulb life. I've got mine on high
    now.......Hopefully it will blow during the warranty...wink wink nudge
    nudge.

    "Hermes Computers" <guy@hermes-computers.ca> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > It's a 61 Inch DLP Rear projection LCD. with a 2 year warranty on Units +
    > Bulb
    > Need info fast since I am about to purchase (My TV blew up 3 days ago)
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Guy Deschênes
    > President/CEO
    >
    > mailto:Guy@hermes-computers.ca
    >

    > Hermes Computers & ISP Inc.
    > 123-B Rusholme Rd
    > Toronto, ONT
    > Canada, M6H 2Y6
    >
    > TEL:416-535-7396
    >
    > http://www.hermes-computers.ca
    >
    > Our services include:
    > - On-location support for desktop operating systems and applications
    > - Network installation, troubleshooting and auditing
    > - Server installation, maintenance, service and management
    > - Web site design, e-mail hosting services
    > - High-speed DSL and cable Internet access solutions
    > - Security audits with Firewall setup and Spyware detection & removal
    > - Anti-Virus protection setup, support and emergency virus cleaning
    > - Custom-built and brand name computers, components & peripherals
    > - Repairs to computers & Laser printers
    >
    > "Solutions to Computer Problems are our Business"

    Great, this is verry great. I am looking foreward to actually seing the
    picture quality myself... Hopefully I will be as satisfied as you are!

    Thanks!

HDTV Home Theatre