Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change...

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Winodws failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. This happends when you try to boot the computer. It then goes to the windows loading screen where it freezes.

Ive read other topics talking about the same thing occuring and tried everything that people mentioned without success.

I tried booting in safe mode. I tried using a systems recovery disc. I tried repairing it from the advanced F8 options. I tried every option so far with no success. It will sometimes load to the windows screen and at other times will just sit at a black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

I have read about removing the graphics card and cmos but from the other posts this is just a temporary fix.

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
It doesnt give me any information at all other then just to try the repair or goto windows normally. When i try safe mode and the system recovery disc the computer just freezes again. For safe mode it starts scrolling threw what is loading then stops and freezes. for the recovery disc it says loading windows files then goes to the windows screen with the status bar then goes black and freezes. This is what happens when i try nearly any of the system restores or safe modes.

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Nothing was changed. It worked one day - then the next it was freezing up.

4745454b

Titan
You must have done something. (if not you, someone at your computer) This happened to me when I tried installing Daemon tools on my Win7 machine. Win7 doesn't support Daemon tools. It did give me the option to use a restore point, which got me back up and running.

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

There was no option for a restore point but there was an option to start up using last successful config - which also freezed when logging.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are your system specs? Included the make/model of motherboard and video card, as well as the other typical list of stuff you have installed. Have you had any power failures or unexpected shutdowns before all this started happening?

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Sounds like the things you attempted would have been sufficient to solve most software issues. I would begin testing the hardware. I would test the power supply with a voltmeter to make sure it is working. Then I would use a memtest bootable disc to check the ram. If you have an extra video card, I would swap it with what you have in your system to test that (or use onboard video if you have it). Finally, try plugging your harddrives into another system and run a scan on them to search for any bad sectors.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Agreed. With the info he has provided, I would suspect faulty hardware. Most likely RAM or hard drive. Download and burn memtest86+. Before you run it though, open your case ans re-seat all of your RAM, then turn the computer on and see what happens. If the issue is still there, run memtest overnight and see if there are any errors. If that passes, you should test the hard drive. What is the make and model of your computer? And, if you can find out, what is the manufacturer of the hard drive in your machine?

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I did try repairing it from the windows disk and it still freezes. It is my cousins computer and he took it to geek squad and those overcharging pricks said they tested the hardware and it checked out fine. They want 300 dollars to fix what they call a software problem. My cousin has a windows 7 upgrade disc and says he doesn't mind if i just wipe the drive and start over. The problem with this is i am not quite sure how to do this since it keeps freezing up and i cannot get to anywhere.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I think you should still test your hardware, just to be certain. What is your computer's make and model? Is it a custom build? What is the hard drive manufacturer? I know they said it was tested, but you never know, unless they did it right in front of you.

Also, a windows upgrade disc will only work if when used, it detects an installed version of windows. I have never seen it work on a clean HDD.

truti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i updated ati catalyst from 11.5 to 11.6 and had the same issue ,installed windows 7 x64 3 times that day to see that ati 11.6 was causing it ..i know it`s just little related to your issue but it`s the only thing that comes to mind..also windows update i disabled it because it was destroying windows compatibility and stability ..