Sign in with
Your question

Striker extreme cmos err

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2007 5:35:47 PM

Hello,
I just built a new machine and I am having major problems booting it for the first time! First try the LCD poster did not get past CPU INIT, I did a little reading of forums and decided to move my RAM around. So i got it to work with 1 stick of RAM and it goes through the CPU, RAM, VID checks and it stalls with a cmos err. I cannot get it to go past CPU INIT with 2 sticks of RAM and in it with any ram configuration. I have taken the battery out and cleared the cmos a number if times with no luck, and yes I have moved the jumper to enable the button. Is my board dead? This is very frustrating. I am using the 8-pin ATX power connector.

Here is a list of my parts: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700, Asus Striker Extreme, Corsair Dominator XMS2-6400C4D 1Gig X 2, eVGA 8800GTX, Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W, Seagate 320g HDD, LG DVD burner

Is there any way to update my BIOS without being able to actually boot the computer? I hear the new BIOS fixes a lot of issues and mine may be one of them.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rick
February 24, 2007 3:23:32 AM

I had the exact same issue - had to set up an RMA w/ ASUS. They do have a expedited return program where they will ship you a new board before they receive yours. You just have to give them a credit card #.

Hope this helps - I understand your pain - nothing worse than finishing a build, spending hours managing wires, etc.. only to find the motherboard is DOA!
February 26, 2007 8:39:56 AM

I had this exact problem - my ram was the PC8500 Dominator. Its a voltage setting issue with the Striker. For whatever reason the "auto" voltage for memory doesn't provide enough volts so PC = no boot.

Fix: Clear CMOS (remove battery for awhile if needed) then boot with one stick (like you did before, usually works on the 4th slot). Go into Bios and set memory voltage to whatever your ram is rated for - mines is 2.2V. Save and exit, power off. Install 2nd chip and that should solve your problem!

However if that doesn't work it could be a problem with the board itself but i've not come across that from anyone else with a striker yet.
Related resources
March 7, 2007 4:34:22 PM

Quote:
Hello,
I just built a new machine and I am having major problems booting it for the first time! First try the LCD poster did not get past CPU INIT, I did a little reading of forums and decided to move my RAM around. So i got it to work with 1 stick of RAM and it goes through the CPU, RAM, VID checks and it stalls with a cmos err. I cannot get it to go past CPU INIT with 2 sticks of RAM and in it with any ram configuration. I have taken the battery out and cleared the cmos a number if times with no luck, and yes I have moved the jumper to enable the button. Is my board dead? This is very frustrating. I am using the 8-pin ATX power connector.

Here is a list of my parts: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700, Asus Striker Extreme, Corsair Dominator XMS2-6400C4D 1Gig X 2, eVGA 8800GTX, Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W, Seagate 320g HDD, LG DVD burner

Is there any way to update my BIOS without being able to actually boot the computer? I hear the new BIOS fixes a lot of issues and mine may be one of them.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rick

Hi. i got same problem too. and all computer part like you have, do you fix this problem? can you help me. thanks alot.
March 9, 2007 3:04:30 AM

I had all the same symptoms. First I couldn't get past CPU INIT, then going to one stick of ram got me to CMOS ERROR and weird beeps when the display read VGA BIOS. Tried everything, then I tried it again...

My solution to this problem ended up being simple simple: the BIOS revision on the version 1.00 boards is 701 from November 2006 (I think) and it had a problem with my eVGA 8800 GTX - other 8800s may work, but the high end ones seem to be experiencing more difficulties most likely because they are newer and have newer features. Anyway, putting a basic PCI-express card into the slot allowed me to boot up fine and I was able to flash the BIOS to 901. After that the eVGA card worked fine and I've been happy ever since!

Well, almost... Apparently there's also a problem with having 4 gigs of some types of ram (in 4 sticks, at least) as I would always freeze on booting with my Corsair XMS2 6400 C4. Taking out 2 gigs did the trick, so unless there's another solution I haven't found in the forums we'll just have to wait for another BIOS revision and be glad for at least having 2 gigs and a kick-ass system. :D 

So be careful that you're not experiencing TWO PROBLEMS SIMULTANEOUSLY! This can be especially difficult to diagnose...

Overall I think the board is awesome and most of the problems are "simple" compatibility issues that can be a little tricky to solve (because the BIOS is damned hard to update without actually running it!)

So for those who are still having problems: keep heart! The board may not be broken!
March 17, 2007 7:55:06 AM

Hi,
This is the first time i've joined a forum and ever wrote anything, I usually spectate and try to learn, anyway HELP please.
I recently put together a second pc, the kids took over the first with Sims and the add ons. The new build took some time as I wired everything out of sight, green lights brought the beauty to life and she lived for a week...then CPU INIT :roll: Took things out, replaced items ,retraced my steps, in fact everything Sherlock Holmes would have done and after two days of reading on the web and two nights of restless sleep, could it be my nice Corsair Ram with the LEDs just dose not like my Striker, so why did she give me hope to begin with?
I have read everything so far available from removing Ram, cmos battery,removing GPU and sound card , pointing the pc east,
I thing I might wait till I get drunk and get a hammer[/quote]
August 1, 2007 1:31:14 PM

Hi. 1st off it seems weve all seen about the same issues. Actually at 1st mine had none till i went to using 4 sticks of memory, and before i tried the newer bios's for xp there is probably no need for 4 gig but i also use vista wich is extremely stable btw.
any bios past 1102 does not work on my striker no matter what, the tech's? as they say at asus say umm uh well it should work i wonder why. that is a quote btw.( i think they must have lost some of their bios guys)
ok so just use one stick. boot into bios using older put voltages to 2.2 assuming 2.2 volts is where your mem needs to be. then go to 2 sticks.
IF YOU NEED TO GO TO 4 STICKS you may need to overclock. why you ask? i have no clue it seams as though we all have a board we overpaid for and bought problems. i have to overclock which is fine to get 4 gig of ram to work period. i hate the fact that i must but luckily i do anyhow it's the point that makes me mad.
IF YOUR STUCK ON NEWER BIOS
and can get into windows but can't navagate in bios from just entering it. just use the asus update tool, go into where you choose where to update from and pick the options thing and tell it to allow you to downgrade your bios and then flash it with 1004 or 1102 downloaded to desktop and expanded already and then you should be able to go change your bios to volts needed. (Remember use one stick of ram till you get your values set in the bios) also remember if you can't get passed 2 sticks to for sure overclock. Heck overclock anyhow
P.S. a top end 680i chipset m.b. overclocks as well for 99.9 percent of us and i have had no issues on that pc using identical setup. nor with the p5n-esli with a 650 chipset except the way overclocking abuility it only go's about 17 percent
Last note if your trying to use this board with an already installed operating system. you may need to format and start over. sorry for the news but i had to
August 2, 2007 5:34:36 AM

I have this problem. I have never got to the bios and nothing appears on my monitor. If i boot and hit del key it shows items on the lcd poster then gets stuck at DET IDE. If i do not hit the del key it goes to CMOS ERR. I have tried a few different recommendations for resets but still am having the same problem. Originally it booted past that got stuck on what was a clock with the seconds counting. I took advice to reset and ended up in this mess now.

Any ideas?
August 8, 2007 1:35:12 PM

reset using the cmos clear button on the mb if possible.(mine failed before kinda screwy) make sure only one stick of memory is in. also make sure your memory is on the approved memory list and hasnt been removed.
it seams you may be on newer bios as that happened to me on newer bios, just keep trying.

The other option is to see if you can return the mb and buy a better one.
I have an exact build to this except the motherboard (It is a 680 chipset ) w/o glitches and it cost less and performs incredible. I see people state that these are for experts/ BLAH! these are just screwey motherboards and a few of us got lucky enough to figure out a way for these to work or got lucky. In no way does that make anyone an expert. I just did'nt feel like waiting on a better board and had old bios saved and was screwing around with timings and overclocking because i had no life that day.
make note i also have my memory timing manually put in the bios as it doesnt work unless i do that also, that's not expert that mb bios programming not doing it's job
Good luck guys and the thing works great after you do get it going.
November 10, 2007 6:33:27 AM

I have looked high and low, and maybe I'm just blind or dumb, or even both, bu8t where is the list of approved memory for this board. (I am experiencing similar problems to many of you, and I am trying to determine the source)

Thanks much
November 28, 2007 1:41:10 PM

There is a list, it's a nightmare to find. I'll have a look at home. For all thoes stuck with no boot, have you tried putting the battery in upside down?? Then switching on and off..... I kid you not. I was messing around with mine for hours, found a load of suggestions on the web and tried that. It worked the next time I booted!!!

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2007080919024060...
!