Sign in with
Your question

1st Time Building a PC - Heatsink Question

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2007 6:31:27 PM

Hi,

Appologies if a dumb question but I am new to all of this and nervious I may screw it up. After reading the excellent article on how to build a PC I am taking the plunge.

I want a decent PC that is quite quiet. I doubt I will be a heavy user (e.g. digital photos) although my kids will play some games (e.g. Star Wars, Lord of Rings).

I have chosen the following based on reviews I have read:

C2D E6400
ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi
2GB Crucial DDR2 800
Gigabyte 7600GT Silent Pipe ii
2 x Sumsung HD401J
NEC SATA DVD writer
Antec P150 case with Antec 430 psu (one rear 120mm fan)
plus 2 x 92mm Acoustic dustproof fans for front (do I need these?)

As you can see I have tried to keep noise to a minimum. I believe that the E6400 will come with a standard heatsink. Will that have a fan and will it be noisey? If so would you recommend something else?

Thanks
February 17, 2007 6:57:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Appologies if a dumb question but I am new to all of this and nervious I may screw it up. After reading the excellent article on how to build a PC I am taking the plunge.

I want a decent PC that is quite quiet. I doubt I will be a heavy user (e.g. digital photos) although my kids will play some games (e.g. Star Wars, Lord of Rings).

I have chosen the following based on reviews I have read:

C2D E6400
ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi
2GB Crucial DDR2 800
Gigabyte 7600GT Silent Pipe ii
2 x Sumsung HD401J
NEC SATA DVD writer
Antec P150 case with Antec 430 psu (one rear 120mm fan)
plus 2 x 92mm Acoustic dustproof fans for front (do I need these?)

As you can see I have tried to keep noise to a minimum. I believe that the E6400 will come with a standard heatsink. Will that have a fan and will it be noisey? If so would you recommend something else?

Thanks

Hi! Do you honestly need a SATA burner? No offense, but it is utterly useless. Just get an IDE one. Save yourself some money.

I don't see the need for the 92mm fans, where would you put them?

Either keep the rear exhaust or use this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

To your actual question:

Use this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

You shouldn't need a fan...Hopefully. Or just use the Scythe one and keep the TriCool that is already in the case.

~Ibrahim~
February 18, 2007 4:14:08 AM

Quote:
... I believe that the E6400 will come with a standard heatsink. Will that have a fan and will it be noisey?

Yes, it will have a fan, and no, it should not be too noisy. Intel has programmed it to favor quietness over cooling to some degree. It's free, so try it first. My guess is that any noise issues you will have will be with the PS fan.
Also, if the graphics card doesn't have a built-in fan, it will require very good airflow inside the case to carry the heat away from its passive cooler. Monitor its temp carefully after setting up the system -- you may have to add an additional internal fan, a fancard, or an exhaust fan.
Related resources
February 19, 2007 7:52:51 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback :)  The Antec p150 has two 92mm slots (if that's the correct term) at the front of the case which I am hoping will give a quiet but steady breeze through the case with the other components passive.

Also the reason for the SATA DVD is because I want to re-use an existing 250GB maxtor which has all my data and a DVD ROM from my old PC for disk-to-disk copying. The new cards don't seem to have many PATA slots if I have read the specs correctly.
February 19, 2007 8:28:45 PM

Ah. I did not notice that. Thanks!

The new "motherboards" don't have too many IDE slots, but there a few IDE-to-SATA converters that shouldn't be too much. Or you could buy a cheaper SATA drive. All I am saying is that you shouldn't spend more than $50 on an optical drive, as that money can be put more usefully in other areas...There are some converters, if you'd like...

I think the Ultra-120 should be able to cool it passively, but there needs to be reasonably good airflow throughout the entire case.

~Ibrahim~
February 20, 2007 7:34:47 AM

The NEC 7170S drive I am intending to buy is £21 which is about $40 and the IDE drives are only £2-3 cheaper.
February 23, 2007 8:26:29 PM

Quote:
The NEC 7170S drive I am intending to buy is £21 which is about $40 and the IDE drives are only £2-3 cheaper.

Oh, OK, then..There was this one SATA DVD burner, it might've been from Plextor, though, that was $100+..

~Ibrahim~
!