I cant start windows, how can I wipe my hard drive? Plz Help

Austin772

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Hi, whats going on? I am quite new to computer building, this was my first build, so sorry if I don't pick up on things right away. Also, sorry if there has already been a thread on this.

Recently I turned off my computer by holding the power button and tried to turn it on again, but windows will not start. It takes me to a screen where it says use the up and down arrow keys to select an option. These options are: Boot in safe mode, Boot in last known options that worked, and start windows normally (or something like that). The weird thing is that when I press the arrow keys I can't change what option is chosen. My computer starts a countdown untill it starts windows under the option highlighted (in this case I can only highlight one, start windows normally).

After the countdown has stopped it gives me an error screen which reads:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

If I put the windows cd in it just takes me to the same screen it does not even register that I put the cd in. I read that I have to go to my BIOS and change the order of things that boot (or something of that sort). However I cannot even get to my BIOS. I think a virus or something is preventing me from doing anything.

I want to just wipe my hard drive clean so I can reinstall windows and start fresh. However I cannot do this my using any method that requires me to have my computer on and in windows or from what I have observed (I might be wrong) my BIOS. I am thinking I might just get a new hard drive but if I can somehow reset my hard drive even though I can't to anything when I turn on my pc, then I will try that.

I hope some of you smarter and more experianced pc builders have a solution to this mess. I am using a Western Digital 250gb 7200RPM hard drive. Please help.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
There are some motherboards out there that have difficulty detecting keystrokes in the pre-Windows environment using a USB keyboard.

Use a keyboard with a PS/2 connection, or use a USB to PS/2 adapter on your existing keyboard and see if you can then get into your BIOS and/or use the arrow keys to boot in safe mode.