Audit of specific file(s) being printed

Is it possible in a Windows 2000 domain to audit when specific files are
printed. I know it is possible to audit all print jobs (as print server
informational level events in the security event log) but we are only
interested in knowing when specific files are printed and searching though
the event log on the print server is very time consuming. Any hints or help
gratefully received.

Unfortunately, no. The input side of printing is an application level
thing, to the OS there's no connection between the source file and it's
being printed. Windows Auditing can tell you when a file is opened for Read
and when a User prints to a printer object but that's it.

--
Regards,
Randy Franklin Smith, CISA, SSCP, Security MVP

Tim Jackson wrote:
> Is it possible in a Windows 2000 domain to audit when specific files
are
> printed. I know it is possible to audit all print jobs (as print
server
> informational level events in the security event log) but we are only
> interested in knowing when specific files are printed and searching
though
> the event log on the print server is very time consuming. Any hints
or help
> gratefully received.

I use O&K Print Watch - http://www.prnwatch.com/

it will show you the documents being printed and who is printing them.

I have found it very handy and is a reasonable price. Maybe give the
demo a shot and see if it works out for you.

Jeff