Graphics card hookup question

todd7764

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Posted this in the graphics section this morning and haven't gotten any replies, so I thought I'd try it here:

Hey guys- newish builder here. I have a question I hope you all can help with. I am putting together a system with a Sapphire x1950xt vid card. I am replacing the stock gpu cooler on this card with the Zalman vf900-cu cooler.

Here's the question: the stock cooler had a 3-pin connection to the video card. After removing this cooler and attaching the Zalman, there is not 3 pin connector from the Zalman cooler. There is a wire that connects to a split cable for their Fanmate 2 controller and an additional 3-pin connection. Now the 3-pin connector that splits from this wire has a terminator that does not fit the 3-pins on the graphics card. I understand the Fanmate 2 controller offers adjustable fan speeds and I plan on attaching it to the outside of my case. Does the "split" 3-pin connector attach to my motherboard (NB Fan connector) (by the way, the mb is a gigabyte ga-965p-ds3) or do I need to remove the terminator and attach these pins to the graphics card?

Anxiously awaiting your help! thanks

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I believe this extra plug your talking about is only to report the fan speed back to the video card. Some cards may have a safety feature that will not let the card run unless it gets a signal that the fan is turning (safety for GPU).
Basically if the fan on the card is working and the card will run without that input signal from the fan then you dont really need it. If the card wont run, then you will need to splice that plug to send the signal that the fan is running for the card to work.