Windows 2000 security feature??? Don't Know

1/13/05

Hello Group:

Here's my unique problem. I have a client who connects to my audio stream
via a 'button' linked to a .asx file.

This problem just started happening a few days ago.

All my clients connect to the stream via a button linked to an asx file. You
click the button, Windows Media Player opens, music buffers, then starts
playing. This is how all my clients connect.
---------------------

When this one particular client connects, Windows Media Player doesn't open.
Instead, the web page (IE) changes to the following URL which describes
problem C00D1198:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/support/mperr.asp?prd=Windows&
spb=MediaPlayer&pver=9.0.0.2980&os=WinNT&over=5.0.2195&olcid=0x409&clcid=0x4
09&id=C00D1198

and that's as far as it goes.

I sent him the actual .asx file which the button links to. He double-clicked
that file from his desktop and (voila) Windows Media Player opens, buffers,
and it starts playing the music. The asx file itself directs to a static ip
address and a port. (for example: http://67.136.18.9:1160/ )
----------------------
We re-installed Windows Media Player, repaired Internet Explorer but this
didn't solve the problem. He's running Windows 2000, using Windows Media
Player 9 series.

I need a fix for this problem. Why does the asx file behave one way (throws
an error) when it's link to a button and then behave another way (correctly)
when clicked on directly? Does Windows 2000 network security have anything
to do with this?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Powers
sorry@nospam.net

Hello Group:

We may have a solution here. This following message is an answer to this
same post at another newsgroup:

The error message page you are directed to indicates, most likely, a problem
with the proxy server settings between IE and your system's.
FIX: Update to behaviors of certain proxy servers on Windows Media Player 9
Series
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839340

Could also be a firewall issue:
User Datagram Protocol does not work with some firewall packet inspection
routines
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839221

Less likely, but possibly a third-party software conflict:
Windows Media Player May Not Play Audio Files from Web Server If Third-Party
Players Are Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320280
(check your registry as mentioned)

One problem I noticed on the site you referenced was that to play the
stream, I had to disable my pop-up blocker - so check to see if that's your
problem, too.

If no joy with the above, hopefully a WMP MVP will see your post in the WMP
group and have better answers for you.
--

Jon R. Kennedy
Charlotte, NC, USA