Odd file behavior in Win 2k

1/14/05

Greetings:

You should be running Windows 2000 to observe this behavior.

Perhaps this has something to do with Network security in Win2k. When I try
to access an asx file linked to a button it DOESN'T OPEN the file. Next I
right-click the button, choose 'Save Target As...' and save the inked file
to my Desktop. When I double-click the saved file on my Desktop, it OPENS
NORMALLY.

Try it and see if you can figure out what is happening.

Go to http://www.smoothisland.com/bmainpage.php . You can use 'demo' and
'demo' as your user id and password.

Enter the user id and password, then click the sign-in button. Next you
will see a red button. This is the button linked to the asx file. Click the
red button. Observe what happens. Next, place your mouse over the red
button, right-click and choose 'Save Target As...' and save the linked file
to your desktop. Next, double-click the saved file on your desktop. You
should now connect to the stream.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. Two types of behavior from
one file. I need an explanation and a fix (as opposed to a workaround). The
button should work correctly when clicked. That is the button should follow
the instructions contained in the asx file when clicked.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike Powers
1 answer Last reply
More about file behavior

    Hello Group:

    We may have a solution here. This following message is an answer to this
    same post at another newsgroup:

    The error message page you are directed to indicates, most likely, a problem
    with the proxy server settings between IE and your system's.
    FIX: Update to behaviors of certain proxy servers on Windows Media Player 9
    Series
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839340

    Could also be a firewall issue:
    User Datagram Protocol does not work with some firewall packet inspection
    routines
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839221

    Less likely, but possibly a third-party software conflict:
    Windows Media Player May Not Play Audio Files from Web Server If Third-Party
    Players Are Installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320280
    (check your registry as mentioned)

    One problem I noticed on the site you referenced was that to play the
    stream, I had to disable my pop-up blocker - so check to see if that's your
    problem, too.

    If no joy with the above, hopefully a WMP MVP will see your post in the WMP
    group and have better answers for you.
    --

    Jon R. Kennedy
    Charlotte, NC, USA

    end message >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    "Mike Powers" <sorry@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > 1/14/05
    >
    > Greetings:
    >
    > You should be running Windows 2000 to observe this behavior.
    >
    > Perhaps this has something to do with Network security in Win2k. When I
    try
    > to access an asx file linked to a button it DOESN'T OPEN the file. Next I
    > right-click the button, choose 'Save Target As...' and save the inked file
    > to my Desktop. When I double-click the saved file on my Desktop, it OPENS
    > NORMALLY.
    >
    > Try it and see if you can figure out what is happening.
    >
    > Go to http://www.smoothisland.com/bmainpage.php . You can use 'demo' and
    > 'demo' as your user id and password.
    >
    > Enter the user id and password, then click the sign-in button. Next you
    > will see a red button. This is the button linked to the asx file. Click
    the
    > red button. Observe what happens. Next, place your mouse over the red
    > button, right-click and choose 'Save Target As...' and save the linked
    file
    > to your desktop. Next, double-click the saved file on your desktop. You
    > should now connect to the stream.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. Two types of behavior
    from
    > one file. I need an explanation and a fix (as opposed to a workaround).
    The
    > button should work correctly when clicked. That is the button should
    follow
    > the instructions contained in the asx file when clicked.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Mike Powers

Security Desktops Windows