Sign in with
Your question

Time Warner and me....shoot me

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 29, 2006 4:13:38 PM

Ok, so I live in a little college apartment. We have time warner. They wont touch anything having to do with a router so maybe you guys can help.

If i wire directly into my modem i get internet. I attatch any router, (i have 3) all can not get ann internet connection from the modem.

The netgear ones tell me to check my connection while belkin just says not connected. Its DHCP so it doesnt require a login an i should get a dynamic IP address. Im hardwired to the modem right now.

I took a router from across the hall. They have the same service. I plugged in that router to my modem. That router cant see the settings either. Does anyone know what could be goin on?

Im driving myself crazy and ive tried everything.

Brian

More about : time warner shoot

October 29, 2006 11:14:54 PM

Are you sure you have the WAN port on the router(s) connected to the modem?

Have you tried a different cable between the router and the modem?
October 30, 2006 1:02:16 AM

Try rebooting the cable modem and the router. For some reason the modem or something upstream locks onto the last MAC address that was connected; rebooting solves that. This prevents multiple computers from using the same connection, hence the router...

If that doesn't work, it is possible that Time Warner has locked your account to your PC's particular MAC address. If so there are several possiblities, the easiest is to use MAC address spoofing in your router, Look up your MAC address for the PC that works, and type that address into the router setup.
Related resources
October 30, 2006 4:13:57 PM

Ditto. that should solve your issues.

And if it's Time Warner, just do the restart. leave the cable modem UNPLUGGED from power for about 2 minutes, then plug it back in, put in the router, then plug in the PC to the router.
November 12, 2006 4:50:06 AM

Actually, TW could care less what happens after you have a connection from your modem to one computer. If you have that connection then there job is finished as they have provided you with internet. What you hook up after is not there business and they do not have any troubleshooting steps to help you from there. Don't blame them as it is in your users agreement when you bought there service.

Check your modem to router and router to computer connections. If you have a modem that has both USB and Eithernet connections make sure your only using one or the other and not both. Check your computers setting and check to make sure you have the LAN enabled in your connection setting. After you have done all that then try to surf. If not connected then click on Start then Run and in the box type CMD. This will open DOS and you will be at the DOS prompt. Type ipconfig and check your IP address. Next, type ipconfig/release and press Enter. Your IP address should now be 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig/renew and you should be returned with an IP address of 192.168.X.X You should be good to go.

Oh one more thing is the Power Cycle if you need to. It's kind of like magic. Power down the modem, router, and computer. Let them sit off for around 2 minutes. Then Power up the modem. Wait until the lights that come on are steady and not blinking. Then power up the Router and let it stablize. Last the computer.

If all this fails then do an ipconfig/all and let us know the results here.

Good luck.
June 2, 2009 5:12:56 AM

I've been doing the two minute power cycle thing 5 or 6 times a day. Sure would be nice if Time Warner Cable published some recommended router settings. My Linksys router manual says "Check with your ISP for the correct settings" in several locations. Well good luck with that. And let's not even get started on Linksys' lack of support on my out of warrentee router. I've spent hours on the phone with their call center drones trying to convince them that the firmware upgrade on their web site is corrupt. They keep telling me "If it's on the web site it can't be wrong", and you're modem is no longer supported we can walk you through the firmware upgrade steps you just tried five times on your own if you give us a credit card number and agree to a $23 charge. I hate tech support call centers.
April 20, 2011 6:04:14 PM

You need the security code for your router-internet hook up, then all of you can connect to the internet off the main modem & router. I had the geek squad from best buy set it up with the security code, can all split the cost of the Geek Squad..............
August 8, 2011 4:47:19 PM

First Replace the ethernet cable from the router to the modem, and from the router to your pc.

If that doesn't work, replace your modem.

Time Warner will replace your modem (no questions asked) if you take it by their office. It's free and it's a good place to start your process of elimination. This is only true for residential customers -not business. Businesses have to tactfully demand a replacement and they will get a tech to come by and replace it.
Mine worked fine if you connected with just a computer, but when you hooked up a router, the upload failed ping 25% of the replys. I tried 3 different new routers and still failed. They finally replace the modem after much debate and it fixed the upload.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then it has to be your router, the network card in your computer, or the cable coming into your house or from a splitter to your modem. Remember, you can have too many splitters. It degrades your signal.

Best Regards,
Greg Dinnsen
August 9, 2011 4:14:19 PM

dasfux said:
I've been doing the two minute power cycle thing 5 or 6 times a day. Sure would be nice if Time Warner Cable published some recommended router settings. My Linksys router manual says "Check with your ISP for the correct settings" in several locations. Well good luck with that. And let's not even get started on Linksys' lack of support on my out of warrentee router. I've spent hours on the phone with their call center drones trying to convince them that the firmware upgrade on their web site is corrupt. They keep telling me "If it's on the web site it can't be wrong", and you're modem is no longer supported we can walk you through the firmware upgrade steps you just tried five times on your own if you give us a credit card number and agree to a $23 charge. I hate tech support call centers.

I would either check your ethernet cord from your cable modem to the wifi. If that's fine, then you may need to replace the wifi router. If you're powercycle is referring to the cable modem, then you may need to contact support and have them run speedtests (they should have their own). I had a refurbished cable modem and it was never that great of a connection. I should've been getting 20-25 mbps down, but was never getting higher than 15. Once I replaced it with a new modem, my speeds were normal. You should never be power cycling that often. If you're ever doing it once a month, then get the hardware checked out.
August 9, 2011 4:15:16 PM

goexplodex4 said:
Ok, so I live in a little college apartment. We have time warner. They wont touch anything having to do with a router so maybe you guys can help.

If i wire directly into my modem i get internet. I attatch any router, (i have 3) all can not get ann internet connection from the modem.

The netgear ones tell me to check my connection while belkin just says not connected. Its DHCP so it doesnt require a login an i should get a dynamic IP address. Im hardwired to the modem right now.

I took a router from across the hall. They have the same service. I plugged in that router to my modem. That router cant see the settings either. Does anyone know what could be goin on?

Im driving myself crazy and ive tried everything.

Brian

The reason you need to power cycle the cable modem is because it leases the IP to the device it's connecting to (the WiFi or your computer). Once it's leased to a device, it stays that way until it's reset.
September 4, 2012 11:55:42 PM

I think it has to do with the IP addresses of the modem and the router. If the router is higher than the modem, it doesn't see it as being on the network or vice versa. Had time warner several years ago and had to go through this mess. They told me 'it couldn't be done.' Wanted to call them and instruct them how how they can do it. Now I'm trying to remember what I did because I just switched back to TW. :( 
January 17, 2013 11:03:46 PM

ISSUE FIXED: The ONLY way i found that fixes this common TW issue is to call level 3 tech support at TW, tell them to put the modem in bridge mode, and then plug your own wireless router into it and only connect to that. not sure why this works but it does. thanks and GL!
!