W2K boot question

Hello once more!

I have finished installing Win 2000 on my computer but made an error.

I do not want to have to use a password to boot, but boot straight
through to the desktop.

But as it is now, a screen pops up identifying me as Administrator,
with a blank for password.

I have to click Ok to finish bootup.

How can I make this stop? Please don't say reinstall! unless that's
the only way <sigh>.

Thank you in advance.

Allan
3 answers Last reply
More about boot question

    Boot has completed in W2k by the time you see the login prompt.
    You do not want to have to log in.

    Having a machine set to not require log in is one of the best ways
    to loose private information as well as control over the health of
    the machine and installed software. Anyone that walks by can just
    turn it on and do what they wish. Setting a machine this way is
    not in one's best interests.

    The following may however help you in this objective
    or, if the wizard is alive on your system
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228801

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Greenthumb" <aballardNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Hello once more!
    >
    > I have finished installing Win 2000 on my computer but made an error.
    >
    > I do not want to have to use a password to boot, but boot straight
    > through to the desktop.
    >
    > But as it is now, a screen pops up identifying me as Administrator,
    > with a blank for password.
    >
    > I have to click Ok to finish bootup.
    >
    > How can I make this stop? Please don't say reinstall! unless that's
    > the only way <sigh>.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Allan

    Ok, thanks.

    But I having trouble getting a reinstall to format the drive.
    It is NTFS now, one large 20 gig C partition.

    I'll look around and see if I can find a way to use FreeDOS
    to boot, format to FAT32, and then reinstall. I am confient
    that when the W2K install see a FAT32 partition it will
    provide a reformat option to NTFS...

    Allan

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:27:01 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
    wrote:

    >Boot has completed in W2k by the time you see the login prompt.
    >You do not want to have to log in.
    >
    >Having a machine set to not require log in is one of the best ways
    >to loose private information as well as control over the health of
    >the machine and installed software. Anyone that walks by can just
    >turn it on and do what they wish. Setting a machine this way is
    >not in one's best interests.
    >
    >The following may however help you in this objective
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584/EN-US/
    >or, if the wizard is alive on your system
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228801

    There should be no problem to do a reinstall and format the drive to
    whatever you want by booting from install cd. What problem are you having?
    You may want to use fdisk first to partition the drive into two or three
    partitions. --- Steve

    > Ok, thanks.
    >
    > But I having trouble getting a reinstall to format the drive.
    > It is NTFS now, one large 20 gig C partition.
    >
    > I'll look around and see if I can find a way to use FreeDOS
    > to boot, format to FAT32, and then reinstall. I am confient
    > that when the W2K install see a FAT32 partition it will
    > provide a reformat option to NTFS...
    >
    > Allan
    >
    > On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:27:01 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Boot has completed in W2k by the time you see the login prompt.
    >>You do not want to have to log in.
    >>
    >>Having a machine set to not require log in is one of the best ways
    >>to loose private information as well as control over the health of
    >>the machine and installed software. Anyone that walks by can just
    >>turn it on and do what they wish. Setting a machine this way is
    >>not in one's best interests.
    >>
    >>The following may however help you in this objective
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584/EN-US/
    >>or, if the wizard is alive on your system
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228801

Security Boot Microsoft Windows