Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

W2K boot question

Tags:
  • Security
  • Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 15, 2005 8:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hello once more!

I have finished installing Win 2000 on my computer but made an error.

I do not want to have to use a password to boot, but boot straight
through to the desktop.

But as it is now, a screen pops up identifying me as Administrator,
with a blank for password.

I have to click Ok to finish bootup.

How can I make this stop? Please don't say reinstall! unless that's
the only way <sigh>.

Thank you in advance.

Allan

More about : w2k boot question

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 15, 2005 8:59:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Boot has completed in W2k by the time you see the login prompt.
You do not want to have to log in.

Having a machine set to not require log in is one of the best ways
to loose private information as well as control over the health of
the machine and installed software. Anyone that walks by can just
turn it on and do what they wish. Setting a machine this way is
not in one's best interests.

The following may however help you in this objective
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584/EN-US/
or, if the wizard is alive on your system
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228801

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"Greenthumb" <aballardNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:1gmiu0ds5gftqd8u6370usvikd1m64p6ir@4ax.com...
> Hello once more!
>
> I have finished installing Win 2000 on my computer but made an error.
>
> I do not want to have to use a password to boot, but boot straight
> through to the desktop.
>
> But as it is now, a screen pops up identifying me as Administrator,
> with a blank for password.
>
> I have to click Ok to finish bootup.
>
> How can I make this stop? Please don't say reinstall! unless that's
> the only way <sigh>.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Allan
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 16, 2005 3:41:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Ok, thanks.

But I having trouble getting a reinstall to format the drive.
It is NTFS now, one large 20 gig C partition.

I'll look around and see if I can find a way to use FreeDOS
to boot, format to FAT32, and then reinstall. I am confient
that when the W2K install see a FAT32 partition it will
provide a reformat option to NTFS...

Allan

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:27:01 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
wrote:

>Boot has completed in W2k by the time you see the login prompt.
>You do not want to have to log in.
>
>Having a machine set to not require log in is one of the best ways
>to loose private information as well as control over the health of
>the machine and installed software. Anyone that walks by can just
>turn it on and do what they wish. Setting a machine this way is
>not in one's best interests.
>
>The following may however help you in this objective
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584/EN-US/
>or, if the wizard is alive on your system
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228801
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 16, 2005 4:18:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

There should be no problem to do a reinstall and format the drive to
whatever you want by booting from install cd. What problem are you having?
You may want to use fdisk first to partition the drive into two or three
partitions. --- Steve


"Greenthumb" <aballardNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:92eju09ifd5hlp6qckt9vt0pnjj8ssp6v9@4ax.com...
> Ok, thanks.
>
> But I having trouble getting a reinstall to format the drive.
> It is NTFS now, one large 20 gig C partition.
>
> I'll look around and see if I can find a way to use FreeDOS
> to boot, format to FAT32, and then reinstall. I am confient
> that when the W2K install see a FAT32 partition it will
> provide a reformat option to NTFS...
>
> Allan
>
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:27:01 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>Boot has completed in W2k by the time you see the login prompt.
>>You do not want to have to log in.
>>
>>Having a machine set to not require log in is one of the best ways
>>to loose private information as well as control over the health of
>>the machine and installed software. Anyone that walks by can just
>>turn it on and do what they wish. Setting a machine this way is
>>not in one's best interests.
>>
>>The following may however help you in this objective
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584/EN-US/
>>or, if the wizard is alive on your system
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228801
>
!