Sign in with
Your question

Which should I maximize, HT, RAM or CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 17, 2007 8:51:36 PM

I have an Opteron 170 with and ASUS A8n Sli Premium and Corsair DDR400. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to have a lower muliplier and thereby higher HT. If I had to pick one of the components over the other, which one improves performance the most? I am mostly concerned for gaming.
Does anyone have some suggestions as a limit on the HT? Should I just run it till it crashes and then back down? Thanks.

More about : maximize ram cpu

February 17, 2007 9:38:25 PM

57degrees is too hot? Right?

What if my HT starts gettting around 965mhz? Will that be detrimental to my performance?
Related resources
February 17, 2007 10:04:19 PM

Quote:
57degrees is too hot? Right?

What if my HT starts gettting around 965mhz? Will that be detrimental to my performance?

That's pretty warm. My OC'ed Opty 170 does dual prime in the low 50s. What HSF do you have?

965MHz HT is no problem. You should be able to run up to 1100 or so.
February 17, 2007 10:53:48 PM

Quote:
I have an Opteron 170 with and ASUS A8n Sli Premium and Corsair DDR400. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to have a lower muliplier and thereby higher HT. If I had to pick one of the components over the other, which one improves performance the most? I am mostly concerned for gaming.
Does anyone have some suggestions as a limit on the HT? Should I just run it till it crashes and then back down? Thanks.

I've had my fsb above 300 mhz on my GB K8NXP-SLI, of course with the HT @ 3x. I've found decent performance using DDR-500, setting the fsb to 250-270 range, and the HT @ 4x. You want to keep the data rate somewhere in the 2000 range on an nForce 4 mobo. My 4400+ has reached 2860 mhz. I settled on 11x250(2750 mhz) for stability and heat compromises. I had a Thermaltake Typhoon HSF.
February 18, 2007 1:20:41 PM

I have zalman 9500 (i think). The think that concerns me about the HT getting to high is that I don't want my hard drives to be comprimized. As far as the processor, I can always get a new one, but I can't replace the 750GB of music and pictures.
I started to hear some weird noises coming from my WD raptor the other night, but they have stopped. I don't understand the entire data transfer process, wether it be from processor to ram through HT to HD to GPU. . .or whatever. It is like another language. To make a long question short, what is the negative consequence of having a high HT?
February 18, 2007 1:50:41 PM

If that is your idle temp, i would say yes.
February 18, 2007 3:17:28 PM

That is full load under Prime95.
February 18, 2007 3:32:42 PM

Quote:
I have zalman 9500 (i think). The think that concerns me about the HT getting to high is that I don't want my hard drives to be comprimized. As far as the processor, I can always get a new one, but I can't replace the 750GB of music and pictures.
I started to hear some weird noises coming from my WD raptor the other night, but they have stopped. I don't understand the entire data transfer process, wether it be from processor to ram through HT to HD to GPU. . .or whatever. It is like another language. To make a long question short, what is the negative consequence of having a high HT?

um...not getting it to POST! I can run 5x @ 219 mhz...no problem. 5x @ 220, no POST. That's why I suggest going with a 250 mhz goal with the 4x HT. It puts your right where you need to be. 2000 mhz data rate. I've gone to 260 and even 270 without issue. Dropping to 3x means you've got to be @ 333 mhz just to get back to stock data rate.
February 18, 2007 4:53:59 PM

While that is true, HT speed means jack.anything from 1600 up is fine. The HT bus sucks at OC'ing mainly because it isn't anywhere near saturated.

I have a 165 buzzing around 300*9, but it'll go 325*9 and is stable in everything but prime. Bah, oh well. Also the 165 seems to like less voltage not more, it's strange.

As someone has said before.... CPU > RAM> HT
!