Run As Other User default account

Is there any way to set the default account name that comes up in the "Run
As Other User" dialog box? I want it to default to another password
protected account name (e.g. "Payroll"), not to "Administrator". The
"Payroll" account has access to the data files but not administrative
privileges. Yes, I know the user can type it in, but I am trying to
eliminate that step.
--
Don in Upstate NY
4 answers Last reply

    I don't know of any way to do such. perhaps you could try a shortcut to a
    batchfile using runas with the executable and username that you want to use.
    CPAU from Joe Richards website may be another alternative to runas. ---
    Steve

    http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/cpau.htm

    "Don Priebe" <priebe@iname.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to set the default account name that comes up in the "Run
    > As Other User" dialog box? I want it to default to another password
    > protected account name (e.g. "Payroll"), not to "Administrator". The
    > "Payroll" account has access to the data files but not administrative
    > privileges. Yes, I know the user can type it in, but I am trying to
    > eliminate that step.
    > --
    > Don in Upstate NY

    If there is a specific application that you RunAs with the
    Payroll account then what you can do is
    - make a shortcut to that application launcher
    - right click on the new shortcut and select its properties
    - click on the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field and then
    surround what is there in " " double quotes
    - now, at the beginning before the quoted command enter
    runas /user:payroll " . . . "
    You may want to add some other switches, like /profile
    runas /profile /user:payroll " . . . "
    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Don Priebe" <priebe@iname.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to set the default account name that comes up in the "Run
    > As Other User" dialog box? I want it to default to another password
    > protected account name (e.g. "Payroll"), not to "Administrator". The
    > "Payroll" account has access to the data files but not administrative
    > privileges. Yes, I know the user can type it in, but I am trying to
    > eliminate that step.
    > --
    > Don in Upstate NY

    > You may want to add some other switches, like /profile
    > runas /profile /user:payroll " . . . "

    Thank you. The /profile option was the key to getting runas to operate
    properly.

    Don (of the Fortran era)

    Yeah... and there isn't a way for you to specify the password in a batch,
    even with a pipe.

    You can, however use a utility called sanur to supply both the username and
    password.

    Google sanur.exe...

    -
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA
    Flagship Integration Services

    "Don Priebe" <priebe@iname.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to set the default account name that comes up in the "Run
    > As Other User" dialog box? I want it to default to another password
    > protected account name (e.g. "Payroll"), not to "Administrator". The
    > "Payroll" account has access to the data files but not administrative
    > privileges. Yes, I know the user can type it in, but I am trying to
    > eliminate that step.
    > --
    > Don in Upstate NY

Default Security Microsoft Windows