Windows 2k

SJ

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Hi i have been given the job of wiping all our companies pc and get
them ready to auction, each one has got about 20gb drives and
contained fairly sensitive material, eg accounts etc, So is there a
piece of software preferably free that would wipe the data off the
pc's so it would make it very expensive to retrieve that information.
As i said its just business material but could be very usefull if it
went into the wrong hands.

Thanks

Steve

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

John

SJ wrote:
> Hi i have been given the job of wiping all our companies pc and get
> them ready to auction, each one has got about 20gb drives and
> contained fairly sensitive material, eg accounts etc, So is there a
> piece of software preferably free that would wipe the data off the
> pc's so it would make it very expensive to retrieve that information.
> As i said its just business material but could be very usefull if it
> went into the wrong hands.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

There are several products some free and some not. I like East Tec Eraser
and it has the option to scramble file names also. If you attempt to do such
you should do it from only outside of the operating system as it may be
possible that a program not erase information in memory or the system cache
file. Personally I would consider physically destroying the hard drives and
sell the computers without the hard drives. --- Steve

http://www.east-tec.com/eraser/

"SJ" <neathblue@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi i have been given the job of wiping all our companies pc and get
> them ready to auction, each one has got about 20gb drives and
> contained fairly sensitive material, eg accounts etc, So is there a
> piece of software preferably free that would wipe the data off the
> pc's so it would make it very expensive to retrieve that information.
> As i said its just business material but could be very usefull if it
> went into the wrong hands.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

If you only want to fully wipe the Hard Disk, then I'd go for something
less fancy (and that can be done "fire and forget").

Get a copy of Darik's Boot and Nuke Floppy Disk
(http://dban.sourceforge.net/), customize it so that just booting from
it will wipe the info using the method you want... (CAUTION: Use that
FDD with care ;)

Insert in the targe floppy drive, and boot the computers. White for a
while (depending on HD size & speed)... and you're done!!