NTFS modify but not delete

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 3:11:24 AM

Hi Guys,

I know it sounds trivial and maybe sounds like a stupid question but I
couldn't really find a way to prevent my users from deleting files from a
shared folder on a file server, but still be able to create and modify.

The folder contains only office documents (and I know they create a special
temp file once opened), and it's either the users modify but then they can
delete files, or they cannot delete files but they aren't able to save the
changes to the files at all.
Any input would be highly appreciated!
data:
Win2K domain, ntfs 5, either basic or dynamic disks, I think the file server
might have been an NT4 before, brand new test users, brand new test security
groups, no luck whatsoever
PS: I was able to do it on any non office files (ie txt)
Julian Dragut

More about : ntfs modify delete

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 3:11:25 AM

Try adding a grant of modify for Creator Owner,
possibly also adding a grant so that Users can create
new files (depending on just what they already have).
The Creator Owner grant will let them delete the temp
files that are created while editing the Office docs as
each account will be owner of the ones it has caused.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I know it sounds trivial and maybe sounds like a stupid question but I
> couldn't really find a way to prevent my users from deleting files from a
> shared folder on a file server, but still be able to create and modify.
>
> The folder contains only office documents (and I know they create a
special
> temp file once opened), and it's either the users modify but then they can
> delete files, or they cannot delete files but they aren't able to save the
> changes to the files at all.
> Any input would be highly appreciated!
> data:
> Win2K domain, ntfs 5, either basic or dynamic disks, I think the file
server
> might have been an NT4 before, brand new test users, brand new test
security
> groups, no luck whatsoever
> PS: I was able to do it on any non office files (ie txt)
> Julian Dragut

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 5:28:06 PM

Thank you Abell,

That means that the users will be able delete, which is exaclty what I don't
want them to do!

> Try adding a grant of modify for Creator Owner,
> possibly also adding a grant so that Users can create
> new files (depending on just what they already have).
> The Creator Owner grant will let them delete the temp
> files that are created while editing the Office docs as
> each account will be owner of the ones it has caused.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I know it sounds trivial and maybe sounds like a stupid question but I
> > couldn't really find a way to prevent my users from deleting files from
> > shared folder on a file server, but still be able to create and modify.
> >
> > The folder contains only office documents (and I know they create a
> special
> > temp file once opened), and it's either the users modify but then they
can
> > delete files, or they cannot delete files but they aren't able to save
the
> > changes to the files at all.
> > Any input would be highly appreciated!
> > data:
> > Win2K domain, ntfs 5, either basic or dynamic disks, I think the file
> server
> > might have been an NT4 before, brand new test users, brand new test
> security
> > groups, no luck whatsoever
> > PS: I was able to do it on any non office files (ie txt)
> > Julian Dragut

a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 5:28:07 PM

It means they will be able to delete what they created,
such as the temp files. It does not mean they will be
able to delete files that they did not create.

--
> Thank you Abell,
>
> That means that the users will be able delete, which is exaclty what I
don't
> want them to do!
>
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > Try adding a grant of modify for Creator Owner,
> > possibly also adding a grant so that Users can create
> > new files (depending on just what they already have).
> > The Creator Owner grant will let them delete the temp
> > files that are created while editing the Office docs as
> > each account will be owner of the ones it has caused.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I know it sounds trivial and maybe sounds like a stupid question but I
> > > couldn't really find a way to prevent my users from deleting files
from
> > > shared folder on a file server, but still be able to create and
modify.

> > > The folder contains only office documents (and I know they create a
> > special
> > > temp file once opened), and it's either the users modify but then they
> can
> > > delete files, or they cannot delete files but they aren't able to save
> the
> > > changes to the files at all.
> > > Any input would be highly appreciated!
> > > data:
> > > Win2K domain, ntfs 5, either basic or dynamic disks, I think the file
> > server
> > > might have been an NT4 before, brand new test users, brand new test
> > security
> > > groups, no luck whatsoever
> > > PS: I was able to do it on any non office files (ie txt)
> > > Julian Dragut

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 10:38:40 PM

Thanks again Abell,

It was clear to me in the first place; however, files created by them can be
deleted and I don't want that, plus the rest of the users are still unable
to save the modified files.....feel like I'm missing something here (back to
the ntfs basics maybe?)
> It means they will be able to delete what they created,
> such as the temp files. It does not mean they will be
> able to delete files that they did not create.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Abell,
>>
>> That means that the users will be able delete, which is exaclty what I
> don't
>> want them to do!
>>
>> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
>> > Try adding a grant of modify for Creator Owner,
>> > possibly also adding a grant so that Users can create
>> > new files (depending on just what they already have).
>> > The Creator Owner grant will let them delete the temp
>> > files that are created while editing the Office docs as
>> > each account will be owner of the ones it has caused.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Roger Abell
>> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
>> > "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message

> from
> modify.

>> > special
>> can
>> the
>> > server
>> > security

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 2:34:51 AM

But you see, you have now added another part of the
requirement - that they can create files there also.
Before you only said modify file but not delete.
The solution I indicated works if you are willing to
allow one user to be "master" or "originator" of a
document, and all others to be editors of it (but not
able to delete it). The originator of the file will have
the ability to remove what they started (unless the
ownership and direct grant to that originating account
are periodically removed by nightly script).

--
> Thanks again Abell,
>
> It was clear to me in the first place; however, files created by them can
be
> deleted and I don't want that, plus the rest of the users are still unable
> to save the modified files.....feel like I'm missing something here (back
> the ntfs basics maybe?)
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > It means they will be able to delete what they created,
> > such as the temp files. It does not mean they will be
> > able to delete files that they did not create.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
> >> Thank you Abell,
> >>
> >> That means that the users will be able delete, which is exaclty what I
> > don't
> >> want them to do!
> >>
> >> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message

> > from
> > modify.

> >> can
> >> the

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 7:12:48 PM

Thank you Abell,
It seems that this (master - modifier) it's my only choice ...sadly!
Thank you for your prompt responses!
Julian Dragut
> But you see, you have now added another part of the
> requirement - that they can create files there also.
> Before you only said modify file but not delete.
> The solution I indicated works if you are willing to
> allow one user to be "master" or "originator" of a
> document, and all others to be editors of it (but not
> able to delete it). The originator of the file will have
> the ability to remove what they started (unless the
> ownership and direct grant to that originating account
> are periodically removed by nightly script).
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks again Abell,
> >
> > It was clear to me in the first place; however, files created by them
can
> be
> > deleted and I don't want that, plus the rest of the users are still
unable
> > to save the modified files.....feel like I'm missing something here
(back
> > the ntfs basics maybe?)
> > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > > It means they will be able to delete what they created,
> > > such as the temp files. It does not mean they will be
> > > able to delete files that they did not create.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Roger Abell
> > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > > "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message

> > > don't

> but
> > > from
> > > modify.

> file

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 21, 2005 4:52:10 AM

> Thank you Abell,
> It seems that this (master - modifier) it's my only choice ...sadly!
> Thank you for your prompt responses!

You are welcome Julian.
Notice that this in not a Windows design issue, but a failing
of Office to recognize why we have %temp% and %tmp%
environment variables and using them.
<aside>
would someone please slap that Office group upside the head
</aside>

--
Roger

> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > But you see, you have now added another part of the
> > requirement - that they can create files there also.
> > Before you only said modify file but not delete.
> > The solution I indicated works if you are willing to
> > allow one user to be "master" or "originator" of a
> > document, and all others to be editors of it (but not
> > able to delete it). The originator of the file will have
> > the ability to remove what they started (unless the
> > ownership and direct grant to that originating account
> > are periodically removed by nightly script).
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "Julian Dragut" <julianmd@groups.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks again Abell,
> > >
> > > It was clear to me in the first place; however, files created by them
> can
> > be
> > > deleted and I don't want that, plus the rest of the users are still
> unable
> > > to save the modified files.....feel like I'm missing something here
> (back
> > > the ntfs basics maybe?)
> > > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message

> > but