Sign in with
Your question

trying to build a gamer computer on my own hlp on what parts

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2007 10:48:51 PM

[/b]hay all
will the first post didnt get one reply at all ..
so here is a new one ..
im new at home building but i have did all my own up grades
im whanting to build my own gameing computer ive read all the post and see what everone ells is doing and ive read toms haedware new builds and etc.i just dont know were to start are whant to start with becouse there is so much out there,,,so if someone can gave me a good start on what to buy for the buck and etc i would be thank full thanks

games i play are rpg like oblivion and so on ..
February 18, 2007 1:16:41 AM

You will have to narrow it down some to get any help.
What budget?
Are you reusing any parts?
Do you want AMD or Intel? Or just the fastest and you dont care.
Build a system and list the parts...then people will tell you what they think, where you went wrong, etc.
February 18, 2007 1:46:48 AM

hay poxal and thanks
my budget is low for right now about a $1000.00 are lower.but if i get some good info i will just buy apart ever other day are so on .i would just like to build a nice gaming computer and to use on the net and etc.

i might use some parts but not really sure right now becouse i was going to gave my kids my dell thant i use now after i build mine.

about AMD or INTEL # thats one thank im lost at right now by reading the reviews on here .one person says one thank than they say anoter tham back .i have 2 computers right now one is a AMD an the other is a INTEL and i have had little problems in both .

the place that i need really help at is what right now is a good gaming CPU -MOBO - than i can stat with the case and so on i just dont know were to start at ..thanks

but i thank im going for the AMD and maybe the EVGA motherboard ,,
i just need a few kicks to the right way to start my new build .i would like to start playing on WOW but right now im playing of line rpg games i was only playing games on the PS2-XBOX AND ETC BUT MY cuz got me playing on the computer now im loving it but my computers are to old and cant handle the new games .
Related resources
February 18, 2007 2:19:01 AM

Well I am a AMD Fanboy, and sadly Intel is in the lead with speed and performance at the moment. Here a thread with your budget, its an Intel build.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/000-Gaming-Syst...
I would say to hit up your favorite place to order gear (newegg for me), and build a system that you like and let people here critique it before you buy. There are alot of threads in this forum containing builds that you can base off of.
Also...do you plan to overclock it?
February 18, 2007 2:28:08 AM

hay POXAL and thanks for helping
no im not at this time plaining to overclock becouse i know nothing about how to do it let are etc .lol
here is were i was at my conpaq computer was my gaming computer but its about 8-9 years old and its a 900mz i just up the video card and ram but my wife got me a gam i really like on xbox but now they came out on cpu its called THE ELDER SCROLLS OBLIVION and it whan play on any of my computers so i whant to even try playing wow so i most just build a better computer right? and im just starting out and i just would like a nice gamer that if i whant i can up grade more later..
February 18, 2007 2:51:20 AM

Quote:
hay all
will the first post didnt get one reply at all ..
so here is a new one ..
im new at home building but i have did all my own up grades
im whanting to build my own gameing computer ive read all the post and see what everone ells is doing and ive read toms haedware new builds and etc.i just dont know were to start are whant to start with becouse there is so much out there,,,so if someone can gave me a good start on what to buy for the buck and etc i would be thank full thanks

[/b]
Start with this and add on what you want. You can add a hard drive, more ram, and a good video card, if it suits you. You will have to add a monitor, but there's definitely room in your budget for a nice one. You'll have a good base to start with, no real headaches, and it won't break the bank.
February 18, 2007 2:55:52 AM

hay RJ and thanks
i will do that and thanks for the info becouse i was on ebay looking at some of there whiteboxes and getting ready to just buy one and go from there and hopefully it works lol but i will go to youer site u gave me and see were i can start many thanks..
February 18, 2007 3:06:36 AM

no prob.

That's a legit site, I used to go there in person to get parts.

I figured where you were coming from(old comp) and what you're looking for, it was perfect for your budget/experience. this way you're not dicking around with finding what parts will work with what other parts, and what not. If you want more than 120 gigs, add a hard drive. You want more memory, click in a stick. You want better graphics, plug a card in. It also lets you start playing NOW! Add the upgrades somewhere down the line. It's also got an operating system installed. Not much to do but plug it in.

I hope it works out for you.
February 18, 2007 3:22:50 AM

Quote:

Start with this and add on what you want.

Hes going to play oblivion with 512M ram...256 of that is shared with video?
You would be better off building a system in my opinion. Especially if your going to game alot on it.
February 18, 2007 3:33:18 AM

Quote:

Start with this and add on what you want.

Hes going to play oblivion with 512M ram...256 of that is shared with video?
You would be better off building a system in my opinion. Especially if your going to game alot on it.

Would you build a system from scratch or just stick another 512 stick in? The 256 shared is moot if he decides to add a PCI-E vid card.

hmmmmmm :wink:
February 18, 2007 3:42:43 AM

Yea I suppose you have a good point. Defiantly get the extra 512 and a video card!
February 18, 2007 4:36:39 AM

i have a dell dimension 2400 right now and it only has a space for a pci card thats it not a pci-e i wished but i cant seem to fine out how much total ram i can have in the unit becouse there is only 2 ram slots?????

dell dimension 2400
intel celeron 2.40 ghz
i have two 256mb @ 512 DDR
windows xp sp2
i just got a new nVidia fx5500 128mb fx 5500 video card v2
i did just have on board video[/b]
February 18, 2007 5:21:20 AM

Quote:
i have a dell dimension 2400 right now and it only has a space for a pci card thats it not a pci-e i wished but i cant seem to fine out how much total ram i can have in the unit becouse there is only 2 ram slots?????

dell dimension 2400
intel celeron 2.40 ghz
i have two 256mb @ 512 DDR
windows xp sp2
i just got a new nVidia fx5500 128mb fx 5500 video card v2
i did just have on board video
[/b]

I was talking about the comp I suggested....as far as PCI-E goes. You can go 2 x 1 gig sticks, but you gotta 86 your 256s for your Celeron. Don't compare the celeron speed with the 3500+'s speed. It's misleading. That's why AMD calls it a 3500+. It' supposed to be better than an Intel p4 @ 3.5 ghz.
February 18, 2007 8:20:20 PM

hay thanks for all the help
im still thinking about doing my own build thought becouse it would be a waste to do all this reviews i did and i thank i would be so happy that i did it ,becouse all i have ever got was hp-dell - conpaq and etc and you really cant do to much to tham just mb,hd,and most are very very low low that they cant put in a system and charge you big money for cheap parts.i would love to put money into a system and get what i pay for.but thanks again.....

i just would love some good advise on a mother board an a cpu for good gaming to start with if someone can lead me that way please..

and a case becouse after that its all easy from there to some what lol..
February 18, 2007 8:45:42 PM

For gaming, the video card is by far the most important component. I'd start there and then work your way back to the rest of the system. You might spec out both Core2Duo and AMD 64 x2 versions to compare what you can get for similar prices (since OCing Core2Duos is so easy even without special components, you'll probably end up on the C2D side).
Tomshardware.com main website has a review on the best graphics cards for every budget range; with $1000 total, you might consider something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
(8800GTS for around $300), which is almost as good as the $500-600 8800, the top of the line right now.
The rest of the budget should go about like this:
-)CPU $200
-)MB $150
-)RAM $175 for 2GB (can drop to 2x512MB for initial savings)
-)PS $100 (a good one is needed for CPU and especially graphics board)
-)Case $65
-)Hard drive $100
-)DVD R/W drive $30
-)If you don't have Win XP already, add about $100 for that (don't get Vista until 2008 at the earliest, when most things should work OK with it)
That's about $1120 total without XP, but with the 8800GTS, which will make a pretty awesome system.
February 18, 2007 9:29:25 PM

hay thanks mondoman

i will go look at all you gave me now and hopefully i will be starting my unit asap thanks.
oo im looking at a few full size are mid size towers //what one is good ive been reading about staying in the full are mid size range for batter upgrades in the future ....
----antec
----thermaltake
the other is the power supply( 400wt or 550wt ) ?
thanks alot for youer help i thank i will have a minegran after all this but it will be all good at the end lol
!