dogus2000

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
Hey,

I know this is old news, but I'm just getting up to speed - I don't have a floppy drive, so I am searching for solutions on how to load XP onto my SATA drive.

I am looking into slipstreaming, as I've read that using a slipstreamed XP service pack 2 may allow me to circumvent this issue - but I'm skeptical. I presume I would have to somehow alter the files before I burned them to the cd to somehow insert my sata raid drivers?

Anyhow, I'm using Western Digital WD2500KS and my mobo chipset is the ASUS nForce 2 A7N8X Deluxe which has the SiI 3112 SATARaid controller.

Also, I don't have Nero or Roxio, so I'm wondering if there's anyway I can pull this off with burnatonce?

Thanks!

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you're going to have just the single SATA drive, don't enable RAID.

It'll install XP as if it were an IDE drive - no drivers need be installed at beginning.

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Hey,

I know this is old news, but I'm just getting up to speed - I don't have a floppy drive, so I am searching for solutions on how to load XP onto my SATA drive.

Try putting the cd in the disk drive. :roll:
I was unaware of windows xp being put on floppys :?

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
He meant he didnt have a floppy drive to load the SATA drivers...
The sata drivers should have come with his MB chipset drivers. Think about it..he is trying to install XP, IMO he should just buy a new rig. It is crappy questions like this and your crappy answers the waste space. :wink:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Yes, like everyone else said, but with the caveat that though you usually only need a floppy to load third party RAID drivers, and you do not need a floppy if installing to a SATA without RAID, there have been motherboards that required a floppy to install Windows to a single SATA drive. I had an ASUS P5RD1 ATI X200 motherboard that required a floppy for a non RAID install, since I didn't have one available, I used an IDE drive for C: and the SATA as the secondary drive. There may be other motherboards out there on the OEM market still like that. It's a good idea to get an external USB floppy drive just in case.

thats not true at all. I have a fairly new HP laptop with a sata disk that simply refused to be recognized by windows XP preinstall enviorment. and floppy drives dont come with laptops anymore.. atleast not many...

I had to use nlite to slipstream the sata drivers.
Obviously the OP is having a similar problem, or else he wouldnt have posted.

"there have been motherboards that required a floppy to install Windows to a single SATA drive. I had an ASUS P5RD1 ATI X200 motherboard that required a floppy for a non RAID install, since I didn't have one available, I used an IDE drive for C: and the SATA as the secondary drive. "

"Thank you! someone with commonsense."

Indeed!

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Ahhh very nice, way to make sure the board is successful and long lasting...drive off all the Newbies. So only the long timers stick around and then wonder why no one hangs out.

desipilla

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007

Hi, i have the same exact problem with an hp laptop dv6567cl, i have uninstalled vista on there to install xp and it wont detect the hard drives, and i know i need to get the sata drive drivers, but they are not on the hp website. i wanted to know where did you find the sata drivers for yourself and how did you know they are the right ones.

PLease help me out with this ive been sitting here with this problem for a while without being able to use this laptop.

THANKS ALOTTTTT!!!!!!!! !! !! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

G

First off I just would like to say that Everett, you are extremely condescending and pretentious... Second, you're a moron.

Now to the matter at hand... I ve recently purchased a dell inspiron 1525 which came with Vista preinstalled. Because SATA and thus I have been getting the same problem. This could of help:

http://forums.hexus.net/operating-systems-applications/20748-windows-xp-installing-sata-_without_-floppy-disk.html

It allows the SATA drivers to be installed directly from the XP CD directly without having to worry about a diskette. (Basically copy a windows XP cd to the harddrive, copy the SATA driver file si3112r.sys from silicon image in the i386 folder, tweak a few files, burn it to a new CD and voila!)

hope that helps.