Installing software w/o admin group membership

ping

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004

Is there anyway that I can use the Delegation and Control wizard to have my
Helpdesk personnel install and modify software on computers?

We don't want to put them in the Admins group, but we still want them to
modify and setup software on pcs.

Or is there another way to give these rights?
Thanks.

In general, all software considered, admin is required for this.
Some software does install as a plain user of course, but one
really does not know what an install might attempt to do, and
a number of common actions are admin only types of things.

If you have active directory, consider wrappering the software
as msi installs (if necessary) and advertising them through
group policy. If you have the Windows Installer service
allowed to use elevated privileges, these msi based installs
will be able to complete when triggered by a plain user.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)