Accidentally bought the upgrade

Ragdoll47

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
At my college orientation I picked up a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition not knowing that it was only the upgrade kit.

I've just finished my new computer build and installed my disk and then was prompted to give the product key.

Of course the product key didn't work, what should I do now?

Also, is it safe to delete the Disk Partition 1: System Reserved? Will that compromise the upgrade disk since I already installed the upgrade version as a new copy (through custom)?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
You could either find a qualifying product perhaps second hand that will satisfy the upgrade requirements or ring Microsoft and ask them what you can do. If it hasn't been activated they may be inclined to be helpful but its hard to know.

Yes it is safe to delete the system partition.

If you actually have a valid upgrade product, you can still do a clean install with the upgrade disk.

1. Install win 7 normally, but do not enter the activation code - skip that step.

2. Install winows 7 a second time. make sure to have it overwrite the first instance. This time, enter the activation code.

See option 4 in this link.
Remember, you need a valid copy of a previous version of windows or you are violating the user license!

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

rpeach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
1. Install win 7 normally, but do not enter the activation code - skip that step.

2. Install winows 7 a second time. make sure to have it overwrite the first instance. This time, enter the activation code.

I've done the same thing... I have a valid OS system license from XP and the windows 7 upgrade. But idioticly only used the upgrade on my fresh harddrive. Which activation code do i use on the second install of windows 7 upgrade? the activation code from the XP OS or the one for the windows 7 upgrade?

Cheers