user rights

Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have created
Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.

The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use Organization
Chart it wants to install the feature.

When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into PowerPoint
and Organization Chart this feature works fine.
3 answers Last reply
More about user rights

    This is an Office issue. Perhaps you should post to an Office
    related newsgroup, including what version of Office you are
    using and whether it is a network or local install.

    I recall one older version of Office that required that an
    admin first run apps from the network install. Perhaps you
    have need to do similarly so that the mandatory profile master
    copy is adjusted. Otherwise, I was under the impression that
    Office would do a per-user mini-install that should work
    within plain User rights.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have created
    > Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.
    >
    > The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
    > problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use Organization
    > Chart it wants to install the feature.
    >
    > When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into PowerPoint
    > and Organization Chart this feature works fine.

    Hi,
    Roger is right, remove the mandatory profile setting first, give users
    temporary admin access to their machines, run office applications to make
    sure everything is set up properly and then remove their permissions and
    restore mandatory profiles back.
    Julian Dragut
    > This is an Office issue. Perhaps you should post to an Office
    > related newsgroup, including what version of Office you are
    > using and whether it is a network or local install.
    >
    > I recall one older version of Office that required that an
    > admin first run apps from the network install. Perhaps you
    > have need to do similarly so that the mandatory profile master
    > copy is adjusted. Otherwise, I was under the impression that
    > Office would do a per-user mini-install that should work
    > within plain User rights.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have
    created
    > > Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.
    > >
    > > The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
    > > problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use
    Organization
    > > Chart it wants to install the feature.
    > >
    > > When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into
    PowerPoint
    > > and Organization Chart this feature works fine.

    Hmm.. not really sure if you need to do so much. Try this.. though I could be
    wrong

    Create a profile that works fine, in the sense, that when you login it does
    ask you to install. Copy the Application Data profile from within that folder
    to the Application Data folder of the roaming profile and try logging back
    in.

    I have performed this on local machines, meaning, created a wonderful
    profile that works fine. Copy it to the Default User folder so that everyone
    else who logs in takes that profile as default and it has worked fine so far

    "Julian Dragut" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Roger is right, remove the mandatory profile setting first, give users
    > temporary admin access to their machines, run office applications to make
    > sure everything is set up properly and then remove their permissions and
    > restore mandatory profiles back.
    > Julian Dragut
    > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
    > > This is an Office issue. Perhaps you should post to an Office
    > > related newsgroup, including what version of Office you are
    > > using and whether it is a network or local install.
    > >
    > > I recall one older version of Office that required that an
    > > admin first run apps from the network install. Perhaps you
    > > have need to do similarly so that the mandatory profile master
    > > copy is adjusted. Otherwise, I was under the impression that
    > > Office would do a per-user mini-install that should work
    > > within plain User rights.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger Abell
    > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > > "Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have
    > created
    > > > Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.
    > > >
    > > > The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
    > > > problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use
    > Organization
    > > > Chart it wants to install the feature.
    > > >
    > > > When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into
    > PowerPoint
    > > > and Organization Chart this feature works fine.

Windows 2000 PowerPoint Windows