user rights

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 20, 2005 6:07:01 AM

Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have created
Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.

The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use Organization
Chart it wants to install the feature.

When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into PowerPoint
and Organization Chart this feature works fine.

More about : user rights

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:48:34 AM

This is an Office issue. Perhaps you should post to an Office
related newsgroup, including what version of Office you are
using and whether it is a network or local install.

I recall one older version of Office that required that an
admin first run apps from the network install. Perhaps you
have need to do similarly so that the mandatory profile master
copy is adjusted. Otherwise, I was under the impression that
Office would do a per-user mini-install that should work
within plain User rights.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have created
> Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.
>
> The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
> problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use Organization
> Chart it wants to install the feature.
>
> When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into PowerPoint
> and Organization Chart this feature works fine.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:34:44 PM

Hi,
Roger is right, remove the mandatory profile setting first, give users
temporary admin access to their machines, run office applications to make
sure everything is set up properly and then remove their permissions and
restore mandatory profiles back.
Julian Dragut
> This is an Office issue. Perhaps you should post to an Office
> related newsgroup, including what version of Office you are
> using and whether it is a network or local install.
>
> I recall one older version of Office that required that an
> admin first run apps from the network install. Perhaps you
> have need to do similarly so that the mandatory profile master
> copy is adjusted. Otherwise, I was under the impression that
> Office would do a per-user mini-install that should work
> within plain User rights.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Got a Windows 2000 Server and the users have been created. I have
created
> > Roaming Profile for them, which is set as Mandatory.
> >
> > The Users logon to Windows 2000 Pro Pc and it logs in fine without a
> > problem. When I use Microsoft Office e.g. PowerPoint and use
Organization
> > Chart it wants to install the feature.
> >
> > When I give the Users Domain Admin rights and then go back into
PowerPoint
> > and Organization Chart this feature works fine.

January 26, 2005 5:23:02 PM

Hmm.. not really sure if you need to do so much. Try this.. though I could be
wrong

Create a profile that works fine, in the sense, that when you login it does
ask you to install. Copy the Application Data profile from within that folder
to the Application Data folder of the roaming profile and try logging back
in.

I have performed this on local machines, meaning, created a wonderful
profile that works fine. Copy it to the Default User folder so that everyone
else who logs in takes that profile as default and it has worked fine so far

!